First purchase of 'vintage' gear - very excited! (Thanks Colin!)

wuzzzer

In a few days I'll be getting a Harman / Kardon HK 730 that I won off eBay! It's my first 'move forward by looking to the past' audio purchase.

Took a bit of convicing with my wife, though. She couldn't understand how a stereo that's 30 years old is better than one that's only 10. 'They don't make them like they used to' just didn't cut it with her!

Here's a question in regards to this: Since there's only 2 auxiliary inputs I plan to connect my DVD player to one input, and route the other audio through my TV. For convenience sake I'll be using the TV remote to control the volume on the receiver. At what level should I set the volume knob on the receiver? 1/4? 1/2?

Also, this is the first time I'll be able to run low-level RCA inputs to and from my subwoofer. What's a good crossover point to set? My Definitive Technology sub has a 50hz or 100hz selectable high-pass crossover and a variable 50hz to 120 hz low-pass filter. And what type of interconnect should I buy? If I use some el cheapo stuff will that be ok?

Thanks a million for everyone's help on here. I know several people (Colin especially) aided in this decision. [:D] [~]

If you need more inputs you can get a DBX 200X, 200XG, 400X, or 400XG Program Route Selector. It takes a single tape loop and gives you the ability to connect three processors, a noise reduction unit, and three sources. You can control all the switching from the DBX unit.

If you want AV capability as well look into a DAV-600 or DAV-600G or the remote controlled 500XR.

These units are on eBay pretty regularly.

Aren't there two tape loops on the HK730, so each of them is another 'Aux' input.

Yup, just checked mine- you've got two AUX switchable with the rotary knob, and two tape inputs accessible with the push buttons on the front panel. So that's four real inputs, plus phono and FM. Quite a nice receiver. I must get mine hooked up to something.

To avoid blowing up speakers or your ears when switching sources. I'd adjust the TV volume with the receiver volume in a 'normal' postion. THere's no advantage from a noise standpoint to having the receiver volume higher than the rest with the tv volume at a lower position. Depending on the model, your tv might have fixed full level output jacks and a variable set of jacks that varies with the speaker volume inside the set.

Michael

you've got two AUX switchable with the rotary knob, and two tape inputs accessible with the push buttons on the front panel.

So the Tape and AUX inputs can all be used similarly?

THere's no advantage from a noise standpoint to having the receiver volume higher than the rest with the tv volume at a lower position. Depending on the model, your tv might have fixed full level output jacks and a variable set of jacks that varies with the speaker volume inside the set.

I was somewhat worried about too big of a load on the inputs from having the receiver's volume too low and the TV's volume too high. Or is that not going to be a problem?

My TV is a Mitsubishi HDTV, I'll be using the variable audio out jacks.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now I see this! Thanks. Glad to help anybody from my home town. Mpls or St.Paul? Iron or grain country? How does the unit sound?

Btw, I suspect that with new, lighter driver materials, stiffer dampening materials, growing presence of auto EQ on mid-price receivers, new class T amplifier technology, that new equipment might be able to better than the vintage stuff but at a much higher price.

Dont quote me, but I believe that quality solid-state receivers, like the harmon kardon, that once sold for $500-750 in the seventies would sell for $2 - 3K today, but instead can be found (albeit used) online for $25-150! Hard to pass that bargain up!

In your profile, please specify your system: # of channels now and planned, amps, subs, room size, acoustic treatments, EQ, music source (iPod, PC, DVD, etc.), your age, music and movie preferences, percent of movie versus music listening, preferred volume level, musical instrument experience, must have features, etc! That way, the thoughtful posters here can provide answers tailored to your situation, not just simply spout off their preferences for their own situation.

[H]

Thanks for the tip on the system profile, Colin.

I live in St. Cloud, right in the middle of MN. I haven't received the receiver yet. According to UPS it's scheduled to be delivered to where I work on Thursday (my day off). I told ones at work to call me when it comes in. Must be a pretty hefty unit, UPS site says the box is 40 pounds!

Oh, and what price did this unit sell for new? Was it in the $500-$750 range?

wuzzzer:

I've got a dbx 400X in perfect condition for sale as recommended by frzninvt.

It will do everything he said it will, but as the manual says, "[t]he

400X's six sound-processor and tape loops can be used as extra inputs

if your preamp doesn't have enough of its own." So, If you've got

an older integrated amp or receiver with limited inputs, you can plug a

dbx 400X into your tape loop and then add up to six more sources.

The last one I saw on ebay went for about $70. I'd sell mine for

the same price + shipping. Offer is open to anyone on the

forum. Perfect for you fans of the older HK stuff. It's gonna go

on ebay soon if no one is interested.

James