Sub for Heresy II

mdbrien

I used a new Synergy Sub-12 with my Heresy I's and with a little patience and positioning, they made a good combination. I have been trying to have the same success with my Forte's but can't seem to get it just right. The Forte's have quite a bit more low end than the Heresy's which may have something to do with it? I know my room has a lot to do with it also, limited options for placement and very open. I may end up selling the sub as I'm not using it very much with the Forte's.

Depends on how loud you like your music or movies. If you sit pretty close, and listen at lower volumes, a modest subwoofer might be fine enough. On the other hand, buying more sub than you need is never a waste, as you can always turn the level down.

Do you have an idea on how much you'd like to spend? New? Used? Scour the newspapers and buy/sell traders, you might find used Klipsch subs if you are in a major center.

Heresy need subwoofers, but given their high bass roll off and

relatively low maximum output (versus LaScala/Khorns for example) they

are easy to match to. Michael brought up a good point about

budget... as something like the RSW-12 should be more than enough

(but still cost $$$).

I used a pair Heresys with a single sealed 12" for quite

a few years with good results. Klipschorns aren't the same story...

Rob

My el Cheapo 12inch carsub in a ported 3.5 box performs nicely with my homebuilt khorns. Plenty of output at ear splitting levels with a 250 watt plate amp. Could the cheapo sub keep up with 2-300watt input to my khorns-no way but neither could my ears. In a modest size room it's more than enough. A good 12inch sub should be plenty for the Heresy.

My el Cheapo 12inch carsub in a ported 3.5 box

performs nicely with my homebuilt khorns. Plenty of output at ear

splitting levels with a 250 watt plate amp. Could the cheapo sub keep

up with 2-300watt input to my khorns-no way but neither could my ears.

In a modest size room it's more than enough. A good 12inch sub should

be plenty for the Heresy.

Do you have the T/S parameters for the driver? Or at least the make

and model number? Unless it's got extreme power handling and excursion capabilities with

powerful motors, I have a hard time believing a car sub can keep up with khorns. I know

the klipsch ultra 2 subwoofers implement 12" drivers, but their motors

are very powerful (in fact, same motor as the RSW-15) and they are

being powered by a very nice amp tweaked to enhance the sound. For the

sake of mdbrien (the starter of the thread) I have to put up a DIY

syndrome flag (where things sound different because we built it

ourselves).

Btw, it's not the max SPL capabilities of the bigger subs that make

them

better candidates for the khorns, but rather the very linear low

distortion behavior of the driver that minimizes the possibility for

coloration (which can be very annoying with the very clean sound of the

khorn).

Really, it all comes down to Hoffman's Iron Law. Figure out your budget

and the largest possible subwoofer you can aesthetically fit in your

room and then it's simply a matter of finding such a unit on the market.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the 'young' moniker, but I don't know who I'm being compared to. Some overgrown leprechan perhaps? Please post a photo of this PM at once. So does this Charest guy ROCK?

Yeah that's you're truly in all his glory. Scaring all the ladies away as usual.

Michael

OT -doncha know, Mikey, I always thought you looked like Freddy in

the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics from the '60's. My

favourite is still the one about his cat getting even with him by

defecating in his headphones.

As for the sub with the Heresys, I run a Crown DC300A crossed over at

120 hz into two KEF B300 12" drivers in a custom braced cabinet.

I use the other matching sub for the sub for the RF3 HT setup with another Crown.

Hamish

post-12323-13819274390462_thumb.jpg

Quote:

Do you have the T/S parameters for the driver? Or at least the make and model number? Unless it's got extreme power handling and excursion capabilities with powerful motors, I have a hard time believing a car sub can keep up with khorns. I know the klipsch ultra 2 subwoofers implement 12" drivers, but their motors are very powerful (in fact, same motor as the RSW-15) and they are being powered by a very nice amp tweaked to enhance the sound. For the sake of mdbrien (the starter of the thread) I have to put up a DIY syndrome flag (where things sound different because we built it ourselves).

Yes, the specs on the carsubwoofer is:

Manufacturer: MA Audio

Model: MA121XQ

Fo: 29.58

QMS: 2.56

QES: .58

QTS: .47

VAS: 99.98 liters

SPL: 88.36db\watt\meter

XMAX: 10mm

I speced it out in my roughtly 3.5cu ft enclosure and the f3 is roughly 27hz. Running a 250watt plate amp into 4ohms (one voice coil on the subwoofer)

I haven't been able to bottom out the subwoofer but I'm sure there is compression at higher power levels. I wouldn't say that it would keep up with a khorn at full volume but at less than ear splitting levels it's just fine. I think I paid $30 for the subwoofer on ebay and already had the cabinet. I previously used an Eminence 12inch subwoofer (15yrs ago) that was oem for M&K but that subwoofer was a joke. 25 watts at 20hz would bottom the subwoofer out! I'm sure a 12inch subwoofer with an xmax of 14-20 would outperform my elcheapo but I'm happily surprised at what it can do.