Big Baldwin!

Erik Mandaville

I've got one in the house! A great old amp, modified by the same talented technician and metal-worker who built Dee's new MKIIIs. Thanks for the awesome packing on that Baldwin, Dee!

Since I first heard Craig Born2rockU's Baldwin, I just had to have one of them. It's a 6L6 based amp, with OPTs taken from past projects. An industrial-looking monster that's very cool in a sort of extreme tube audio sense. There is no attempt at eyeshadow or lipstick with this thing -- it's pure function. It's going to be used in conjunction with my other SET amps in our surround system.

I don't really swing one way or the other as far as low and high power tube amplification is concerned. They both have their strengths and I enjoy both equally.

I'll post a picture of it later -- it's a neat looking old amplifier, and rebuilt to a very high standard by a guy who has been working with tubes since the time when tubes were the only amplifying/output device in existence.

Erik

Arf:

The 'industrial version' was the only one that ever existed. These were't hi-fi amps, but musical instrument amps. This particular model had two outputs, each of which was originally dedicated for higher and lower frequency amplification. A friend of mine makes modifications that allow them to be effectively used as two channel stereo amplifiers.

This one is obviously a very good example -- an extremely good example, actually. I'm really psyched about it, and will have it in the system this afternoon.

Erik

I remember Born2RockU spouting about his Baldwin months ago...

He was a happy camper.

He bought and sold Macs after that (Correct me if I'm wrong again, please).

Bet he still has his Baldwin!

Happy to hear you have the Industrial version. Way to make the roomies jealous.

I am.

Woof!

ARF:

You know I still have the Baldwin !!!! I love that amp. And it was my FIRST I ever bought.

Yes, I sold my McIntosh SS and my McIntosh MC-30's.

So, that should say someting about my Baldwin.

S W E E T !!!!

--------------------------------------

ERIK:

You got a Baldwin ??? I gotta see it....please share some foto's.

Is it layed out like mine?

Erik,

Glad you like that big rascal. That has the biggest power transformer that I've seen on anything.

B2RU,

As far as I can tell from your pics, it's the same amp modded in the same way. Very cool.

...did Erik post pics of his BALDWIN 6L6 , yet?

Glad you like it. I never was sure if I liked the Mesa or the Sylvania 6L6s better.

That wooden base was part of Will's packing. I unscrewed it to get it

out of the box.... then when I managed to get the base out, put it back

on the bottom, temporarily.... never did anything else with it.

Working well with the lexicon is a very good thing.

Dee:

Sure, I understand about the wood base. I just wanted to give those big cathode bias resistors some breathing room. Wow. This old thing is a truly fine amp. Thanks, Dee -- your packing was second to none!

Erik

Wait! Born2 Craig! I had forgotten about those great EH 12AX7s you gave me. Wonderful driver tubes, I truly appreciate it. Let me know how cables go, Ok?

Very, very happy camper/listener!

Erik

Dee:

Sure, I understand about the wood base. I just wanted to give those big cathode bias resistors some breathing room. Wow. This old thing is a truly fine amp. Thanks, Dee -- your packing was second to none!

Erik

Wait! Born2 Craig! I had forgotten about those great EH 12AX7s you gave me. Wonderful driver tubes, I truly appreciate it. Let me know how cables go, Ok?

Very, very happy camper/listener!

Erik

I am extremely excited that those 12ax7's came in handy. And am definitly glad to hear you excited about your new baby.

As you know I am leaving to go to Boston for a few days, so won't get arond to making those cable until Halloween weekend. I'll keep ya informed.

~Put on some Floyd thru that Baldwin for me.

ps- Did ya my email about those JBL 2404's. Is it a crazy idea?

Erik's and Craig's Baldwin electronic organ amps have a new lease on life now that they've been modded for audio-only stereo operation...the lousy sounding speakers built into the organs never did the tube amps any justice. As a kid I can remember my dad repairing a few old Baldwin Model 5 electronic church organs, and they always sounded dull and muddy...definately nothing to write home about! I'm sure all their organs from that time period, whether for home or church, were nothing special sonically, and when these old organs were retired, their wonderful amplifiers were pitched right along with them to the landfill. What a shame!

post-11084-13819273829672_thumb.jpg

Craig:

I did get that email. You had already sent one like it sometime ago![:)] Although I'm very familiar with the project, I have never heard that driver with the K-horns -- or with any other speaker, for that matter. Others here have, and would be more qualified to offer an opinion on it.

Jim: I wish we lived close enough for an in-person visit and soldering lesson. You'd have it down in a couple of minutes, and that is not an exaggeration. With a good iron and the right solder, it's not really the person that does the work with this. The iron is simply used to heat the joint to the point where the joint itself will melt the solder. When the solder flows over the joint, both the iron and the solder are removed. It's done, don't blow on it, let it cool on it's own without moving or bumping the connection.

I want to comment on Jim's reference to his father's work. I have had the opportunity to get to know this gentleman. His soldering and building ability is unlike anything I have ever seen in the 40s years I've been around this. The work he does on radios, including the regenerative tube receivers he designs and builds completely from scratch are truly something -- both in function and appearance.

Re Baldwin Pictures: We are having some digital camera woes, and I need to get a decent one that can take fairly good closeups. Jim: Can you suggest something? You post some of the highest quality digital photography on this forum, and I'd appreciate your help. I'm so used to old-fashioned SLR photography, but a rarely even use my great Nikon anymore. It's a great camera, but so inconvenient compared to digital versions.

Erik