svs plus/4

ken kaz

I am thinking about getting the SVS plus/4 sub or the ultra/2.

Anyone ever heard them side by side? is it worth the extra coin?

To play devil's advocate (who, Moi!?)...[:P]

I too am very confused by the purpose of this question.

What are your criteria and intended application?

Does it play louder, sure.

So what? Where will it be used? With what primary speakers will it be mated with, and what are their sensitivities?

What is the application?

For the average person and the average system listed on this site, in an average 10x12ft room, it is absurd. But does that mean it is such in all applications? Of course not!

This is like asking if KHorns are better then satellites.

Perhaps, but I would have a hard time fitting them in corners in my bathroom. And the Plus/4 might be a bit of overkill there as well.

Define your criterion, and if you are asking if one outperforms the other...Just reading the product description and spec sheets should answer that!

"The SVS B12-Plus/4. In a nutshell it's the most accurate, brutally powerful, and most finely constructed home theater and music subwoofer we know of. "

So you need a sub with 4 of the Ultra drivers?

And why does our opinion matter if it indeed suits your actual needs?

Is it worth double the price difference to you? I don't know! But then I 'm not running out and looking for 1080p television nor a full scale Hummer either.[:P]

there 4 plus drivers not 4 ultras. they would not fit in that box and sound good.

I bet they would.. may have to be braced more. I asked SVS if a custom ultra4 was do-able.. They said, for the extra money, absolutely :) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Then I hid my puny debit card out of sight.

I will not play the devil's advocate(Oui toi DragonetteFyr)

Lets keep the "empty pseudo intellectual blah blah*" to a munimum and cut to the chase. [;)]

First,no matter how many drivers(woofers)you use a dB12 is inferior in bass quality when compared with a TV12.Why you ask,simple.

TV12 as a greater/more potent motor(magnet/VC...voice coil).This translates into better sound quality.Any owner or user who compared can confirm this(even TV from SVS sound say the same thing,unless he uses TV12's just for looks and to charge more onnly for a little more output).

Second what are your listening habbits,what music,HT ...loudness.What are your goals? Know a single PB2-Ultra will be more than you may need,even in a large room.A B4-Plus will simply give you even more OUTPUT,and not as much quality(close it will be).And with a B4-Plus you need a good amp like the K2 and a proper crossover(like one sold on the SVS website).

All in all with the money spent I would rather go with TWO PB2-Ultra subwoofers,start with one and IF(that is a BIG,giant,titanic IF)one fails to meet your deafman's expectations get a second one.Two PB2-Ultra subs will OUTPERFORM a B4-Plus.

Merci beaucoup

*I am not pointing my dirty Elfish fingers at anyone

the key was "they would not fit in that box and sound good"

From what it seems there is more xmax travel on the ultra driver then the plus driver

From there since they are the same size 12" then we can conclude that

since the xmax on the ultras is much more then the box needs to be

bigger due to the face that the ultras can move more air. Hence port

distortion comes earlier and there might be boominess due to the face

that putting a high xmax driver into a small box = boomy system. I

believe someone from svs said if they could fit a ultra woofer in a b4

enclosure that it would not sound right. They said they would have to

square the box so it would be 8 b4 together to sound right which might

make sense if you ever used winisd

ok, yea, i put a vauge question out there. Seems like vauge questions get more answers.

i have chorus 11s, academy center, heresy 11 surrounds, quartet rear surround. My pix are in the show me your HT thread in home theater forum on this site. Currently i have a 10 year old sw-15.

I have rotel amps and a rotel processor.

I like to have my stomach feel Zeppelin and Van Halen. I like to have my ears tingle from the Eagles and Fleet wood Mac.

my room is like 12X30, but i use half of it for HT and the other half is bar/living room. Basement with concrete floor.

tom at SVS recommends the pb2/plus or ultra.

i was just wondering if you get 2x the bass with the plus/4.....i like bass a lot. i dont like boom. I want the house to move, but i dont want it to sound like one of these cars with 4 15" woofers in em.

i have not heard the svs line, im really hoping its good.

two monts ago i listened to the top b&w. ($4k?) thought it was garbage.

i listened to the klipsch rs-15. slightly better

i listend to definitive tech's top of the line (nice)

then i went to see Lion king (stage) we sat in about the 5th row. Like michal anthony's bass while listening to Unchained with zero noise.

Blown away. amazing sound. best bass ive ever heard. I went to my dealer and asked about that stuff. I got some BS answer about that being professional equipment..........

i like the idea of havin a crown amp drivin a sub too. thats cool.

then i started reading this forum about how great SVS is and I guess im gonna pull the trigger on a pb2/ultra now.

thanks boys!

kaz

Thear is absolutely correct, I owned the B4-plus/crown K2 for a little over a year, for HT, it has no peers under 10k, ,maybe even 20k, but for me, it sucked for music. It also was destroying my basement...heh heh....I would buy a B2-ultra, If SVS was the ONLY choice. Really I would try to find used THX Klipsch, and be real frikin happy. Revel B12 is great, and so is Aerial Acoustic ...just ask thear.[:D]

two monts ago i listened to the top b&w. ($4k?) thought it was garbage. i listened to the klipsch rsw-15. slightly better

Anybody catch this?.........I like what I'm reading.

Yes Since to this fella the B&W ASW855 is garbage and the RSW15 only slightly better(read nearly garbage)he has to have at least the Wilson Audio Alexandria X2 as mains driven by Krell MRA's communicating with Krell's CAST system with all Krell reference gear and some ubber ten driver IB sub that is flat down to 8Hz at 130dB. Yes his standards for BS are high

All I read is BS

The B&W ASW855 is a very potent subwoofer,only someone with multi million dollar gear in a custom theatre built in a castle can call the RSW15 slightly better than ...garbage.

Thear is absolutely correct, I owned the B4-plus/crown K2 for a little over a year, for HT, it has no peers under 10k, ,maybe even 20k, but for me, it sucked for music. It also was destroying my basement...heh heh....I would buy a B2-ultra, If SVS was the ONLY choice. Really I would try to find used THX Klipsch, and be real frikin happy. Revel B12 is great, and so is Aerial Acoustic ...just ask thear.[:D]

Now we are talking among sub fanatics [:D]

At one point all the mindless deafling output in the world is of little use(save demolition and getting deaf at will).Once a subwoofer reaches 110dB and can punch 118dB on peaks at listening position its all even audiophiles and dB philes need.

Both my systems can pound such high SPL you would vomit after a few minutes and feel dizzy.Who needs over 120dB? Deaf youngsters using cheapo 18" woofaz in da subcompact Honda,using rust holes as ports! LOL

Now we are talking among sub fanatics [:D]

At one point all the mindless deafling output in the world is of little use(save demolition and getting deaf at will).Once a subwoofer reaches 110dB and can punch 118dB on peaks at listening position its all even audiophiles and dB philes need.

Both my systems can pound such high SPL you would vomit after a few minutes and feel dizzy.Who needs over 120dB? Deaf youngsters using cheapo 18" woofaz in da subcompact Honda,using rust holes as ports! LOL

Hmmm.

As I have no side by side comparison (as I think very few on this board do either with a B4+ and THX Ultra's in the same room) I would have to do research to determine if db12's are that inferior in SQ to the KW120's, no relation to overall max SPL.

funny stuff.

yea, i did not like the B&W sub. For that matter I dont like anything i have ever heard that B&W makes.

This should not be a surprise, i am a klipsch fanatic, i have been since the first time a heard Heresy IIs drriven by a Nackamichi amp in 1987.

In my opinion, and i bet a whole buch of others too, the sound quality of a Klipsch speaker (espically older models) is entierly different form B&W. Like the difference between Steak at a french restaurant and steak at a mexican restaurant. One is smooth and bland, the other will blow your socks off.

I bet a dollar that most klipsch fanacitcs do not like B& W speakers. I also bet a dollar that B&W fans hate horns and Klipsch speakers.

The B&W sub was quiet and did hava gret dynamic range, but it certainly did not loosen my bowels, let alone crack the floor joists in my house.

I am a Klipsch fan,you can call me a Klipsch fanatic as I have over 20K worth of Klipsch speakers at home right now.I also have over 40K of speakers that are non horn loaded and need massive amplification to come alive.

I like both the more live Klipsch,JBL sound as well as the more laid back and polite B&W,Dynaudio and Avalon sound.Klipsch speakers are amazing reproducing live rock concerts while my Dynaudio speakers are better at reproducing Jazz and Classical. There is not one speakers that does it best for everything,you have to have and live with high quality horns and direct radiating speakers to enjoy the full spectrum.Unless you buy the Wilson X1 or newer X2's driven by massive amps in a fully treated room you have compromise.

I also have on order speakers using ribbon tweeters and Accuton mid-bass drivers,these will be the ultimate in resolution.Yet great for some music and lesser than Klipsch for other genres of music.

With less efficient speakers you must use high power amps to really enjoy them.For example my Dynes are explosive when used with celeste MOON or Krell amps,dynamics are very real and not laid back or diminished.The problem is you need to invest BIG in powerful high quality amplification.Use a receiver and you castrate and limit the less efficient non horn loaded speakers.

Bottom like I like the Klipsch sound just as much as the B&W sound.And BTW B&W Nautilus are more neutral than any Klipsch.Cabinet colorations are next to nonexistant.Most people I found out like the slight colorations of sound,few enjoy total tonal neutrality as they find the speakers "boring" and "dead".Most people are not ready for neutrality as they are listening their whole life to colored sound right and left.

And with subwoofers unless you use active correction the bass is ALWAYS very colored and non linear.Even with the new Velodyne DD series the sub bass is not at all linear,just less peaks and dips.