How much is too much to spend on an LP?

rplace

I totally understand that when collecting things they are worth what somebody else is willing to pay. I also understand that there are people with lots of DI (disposable Income). On the other hand how much money do you have to have in order to spend almost a grand on an LP when a reissue can be had for 10 bucks.

Is it the collector value of the item, or can the original sound that much better?

Supply and demand, baby. That is the name of the game I guess...Check this Helen Merrill LP auction price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4779875016&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Let me just add that this is one of my favorite albums, but even if I won the lottery I don't think I would spend this kind of money.

I am baffled!

Well, that is THE pressing of 36006 to own for collectors. It's a first pressing with the BIG blue drummer on the label and has the blue printing on the back of the jacket and misidentifies Clifford Brown as Thad Jones in the caption under one picture.

But STILL this is overpriced by about $350. DEAD MINT originals generally trade for between $500 and $600. I can't imagine why someone would pay so much--especially from a virtually unkown dealer of rare jazz LPs.

The most I have ever paid for an LP is $900--a NM copy of Blue Note 1568--and this was before ebay--got it from Jack Brown in NY.

Looks like I did OK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANK-MOBLEY-Original-Pressing-BLUE-NOTE-LP-1568_W0QQitemZ4780346976QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll bet it brings over $2000--maybe close to $3000.

Allan, ever since you recommended them I have been looking for nice copies of vol 1&2 of Up at Minton's. I am looking for good sounding copies for play not collecting. These are both on ebay right now from the same seller. What is a fair price to pay for these?

I won't bother to post the auction link in hopes that some slob is too lazy to look them up, thus making one less person I don't have to bid against. Wishful thinking I am sure.

You need to email the seller and ask some questions:

What does the label look like? It is blue/white, black/blue or solid blue? Does the label say "Liberty" anywhere on it? Does the label say "New York" or does it have the "47 W 63rd Address?"

If the label has the "New York" or "47 W 63rd" labels, have the seller look in the dead wax and make

sure there is a stamping that looks like a cursive, capital "P." It also looks like a human ear in profile

and is commonly known as the "ear." Actually it is a "P" for Plastylite, the pressing plant that pressed

EVERY Blue Note original from the beginning of the LP era until the sale to Liberty in 1966.

Value (if truly in Near Mint condition):

Blue Label and Black/Blue label pressings in condition are worth about $15.

Blue/White labels with "A division of Liberty Records" on them are worth about $20-$25

Blue/White labels with "New York" on them WITHOUT the "ear" are worth about $35

Blue/White labels with "New York" on them WITH the "ear" are worth about $50

Blue/White labels with "47 W 63rd" on them WITH the "ear" are worth about $80

These are STEREO pressings. If they were MONO you would add about 25% to the value.

Additionally, there are people who add a premium for "deep groove" pressings--so if these records have deep grooves in BOTH sides, add another 20%. For one side, add maybe 5-10%.

Thanks Allan.

I have found that in original mono LPs later released in stereo I like the mono versions better. Since these could be original Blue Notes based on makings/labels is it a true statement that they made original pressing in both stereo and mono? If that is the case should I avoid these like the plague and search for mono versions or is it simply a case by case thing with stereo/mono records.

Thanks for holding this newbies hand. Is there any reliable source for LP prices? I have found that with Pinball machines books with values in them tend to be way off market value so there really is not point in using the books as a reference.

Thanks Allan.

I have found that in original mono LPs later released in stereo I like the mono versions better. Since these could be original Blue Notes based on makings/labels is it a true statement that they made original pressing in both stereo and mono? If that is the case should I avoid these like the plague and search for mono versions or is it simply a case by case thing with stereo/mono records.

Thanks for holding this newbies hand. Is there any reliable source for LP prices? I have found that with Pinball machines books with values in them tend to be way off market value so there really is not point in using the books as a reference.

These LPs were originally released in both Stereo AND Mono--no need to worry about some sort of after-the-fact fake stereo mix. Actually, the Stereo mix is rather good on the Minton's LPs-- I have both the Stereo and Mono releases of both LPs.

There are no printed reliable guides for Jazz LPs. I was thinking about writing one, but doubt there would be a market of more than a few thousand copies.

The Goldmine book is a joke.

Gilbert - Depends on if you get them one at a time or as a "collection"

Allan - Thanks again. After my wife kills GaryMD we will bring him back to life and I will kill him. I have had my eyes opened up to a whole new world...and *expensive* one at that. I used to think I knew a thing or two about music.

I am so glad I have been able to spread the good word that is JAZZ to so many folks on this forum!!

You guys have NO idea how much pleasure I get seeing some of you discover the same things I found some 25-30 years ago.

Jazz is the greatest cultural contribution America has made to the world and it's really a shame that so few people are clued in.

Thanks for listening!

The buyer is Japanese, which explains a lot. Japanese collectors tend to have a lot of available cash (they save a lot) and no good sources for these items in Japan. They also tend to be very competitive in their collecting. I do some trading in vintage cameras and find Japanese collectors always willing to pay the highest prices for scarce items, often two or three times the going rate.

Allan - Thanks again. After my wife kills GaryMD we will bring him back to life and I will kill him. I have had my eyes opened up to a whole new world...and *expensive* one at that. I used to think I knew a thing or two about music.

I love you too, Rich.[;)]

Jazz is the greatest cultural contribution America has made to the world and it's really a shame that so few people are clued in.

Thanks for listening!

Here, here!

While I've yet to dive in as deeply to this genre as others, I've certainly found myself listening to, and buying, albums and CD's that I never would have considered even 3 - 4 years ago.

For example, I can remember as a kid growing up the tune "Girl from Ipanema" played to death on the radio, and learned to hate it. However, I recently came to appreciate the history and interest in the '60's bossa nova craze, and luckily found a 20 bit reissue CD of the Getz/Gilberto album that "started it all", bought it used from a local music store for $6. Its playing on my CD player here in my office as we speak. I have a couple of other records that I've acquired from this era, both in great condition, and both classics.

Thanks to you and others for sharing your insights, keep it up!

Fun stuff!

I love you too, Rich.[;)]

When I say kill you I mean it in the best possible way.

After my wife kills GaryMD we will bring him back to life and I will kill him. I have had my eyes opened up to a whole new world...and *expensive* one at that. I used to think I knew a thing or two about music.

Ditto on the eye opening experience. Gary has helped me out immeasurably. And even though I refused to follow his initial advise, which would have save me money, but I wouldn't have had as much fun,......I did ended up going the vintage route first. But when it's all said and done (some year) I will end up making the complete circle, finally landing on the VRD's, and gone back to vinyl.

Allan, I have really been enjoying the jazz CD's you made for me. Jazz was and still is a new menu item for my ears to chew on. And ever since I watched the movie RAY, I want to buy everything Ray Charles. I really loved the R&B gospel mix they played on the movie. I must have watched that movie at least 6 times now.

Finally,

Richard, if you leave any pieces of his asss in tact, let me know. I think my wife would like to have a go at the left-overs.[;)]....[8o|]

just kidding buddy, just kidding.