got his head spinning now!!!!!!!!

joessportster

my pop thought he had heard the best you could possiably hear in stereo, last time he was by my house i was running 2 phase linear amps with a phase linear pre and an onkyo cdp, with cornwalls and heresys. I played some of his favorites willie nelson etc... and he was all smiles, i have been telling him i could now beat that sound with the vrd's, blueberry, jolida jd100, and the MIGHTY K-HORNS, he is now a beleiver. with an even bigger grin on his face than the first time. he sat there saying it sounds like the music is coming straight out of the wall. pointing in front of himself, i love it when you get that response from someone. love those horns with tubes. Joe

Joe,

I'm with ya brother I had a guy over to pickup some Cornwalls and he got to first listen to a all McIntosh system C22 and MC60's with my 94 Lascalas thanks to my fine customer Gilbert. I had him go through my best condition and recorded LP's and he picked out Eric Clapton unplugged he said it was something he had listened to over and over at home. He picked the last track side two. I let him sit in the sweet spot droped the needle on the song before his choice to adjust the volume to his liking. I then left the room went down to the mighty system and fired up the amp, preamp and by then the song was over. I went up and he had a big smile and mentioned the bass was excellent and guitars sounded real. I said yea and those speakers don't make bass ask anyone[:)] So then I grabbed the LP and marched him down the the shop. Dropped the needle again on the song previous to his chioce adjusted the volume and left the room. Went up checked my email and returned at the end on the song. He said something like Oh my God does that sound great, It has all the bass of upstairs but everything is more clear, defined it just sounds fabulous. I've been smiling all day. Sometimes when you have spend as many hours as I do listening to your gear you start to double guess if its sound great or not. Someone else having a positive response can really reassure you that your on the right track.

Craig

I heard Joe's system and it sounds amazing! I also love it when I can show my system off to family member who actually appreciates what they're hearing! It's rare around my place.

I haven't told many people yet but my cherry VRDs should be ready in about 3 weeks.[;)][;)][;)]

the Phase Linear ..is not an " audiofile" grade preamp

Well , In 1986 , I purchased a Phase linear intergrated amp . I got it for $150.00 from an estate sale . I seem to remember it was something like 200 watts x 4 , and had a moving coil transformer built into it . " It was way superior to my NAD 3020 , Allthough down the road I eventualy used the NAD as a pre amp for the Phase Linear "

back from a long night at work. Thanks for the qudoes gary your system isnt to shabby either and i see you went ahead and sprung for the vrd's good deal. whatcha doing with the mark 3's, i agree craig that you tend to lose the idea of how good your system is as you get more and more use to the sound. and it is nice to get that confirmation from someone else occasionally. my next move is to try to find a nice low output cartridge and see if that improves my vinyl experience, i just hate to buy one at the near 1000.00 mark to find out it doesnt match up with my arm or table, i dont have excess income so every purchase is bought with keeping it in mind,when it dont work out it hurts.

duke i know the phase linear is not audiophile reccomended and all but it sounded damb fine with the corns and the phase linear amps and also was very nice for eye appeal, o whats your point??????

Carver Corp. was also considered mid-fi by all the purist audiophiles, and I owned many of Bob Carver's early (and late) Carver components. The very first pair of Klipschorns I ever heard were in this huge music room the size of a small ballroom! Four Klipschorns, one in each corner, each pair driven by two Carver M-500t 250 watt power amps, a Carver C-4000 pre, and two Nakamichi 680ZX cassette decks as the only sources. And to this day I still think it was one of the finest sounding audio systems I've ever heard! All I know is my Carver components never ceased to amaze me, whether I was driving old JBL L112s, new Magnepan MGLR1s, or my dad's '79 Cornwalls! If I hadn't been laid off and had to file bankruptcy and sell off nearly everything I owned, I'd probably still own all my Carver gear it was that good sounding IMHO (I wasn't too keen on Sonic Holography, but it was defeatable, just like the Digital Time Lens...if you didn't want to use 'em, just bypass 'em).

post-11084-13819273959524_thumb.jpg

Forrest,

The 299b was my first tube amp and I never would have bought it if not for the forum. It's about 3 years old now.

I got real lucky. Mine was a later model with the jumbo transformers not found in all the 299b's. Craig had to spread them out so I could fit an oh-so-long and narrow screwdriver between them to bias. I really get killer bass out of that little amp with my corns. I don't anticipate ever selling it.

when he buys that island i will expect an invitation!!!!!!, , craig when will you be updating your web site to show the testimoanials for the vrd's i would like to see what other buyers have had to say

gary are you selling the mark 3's to help pay for the vrd,s in cherry???????

well off to bed again after a long night of work, have to do 17 straight tonight so the weary commuters can ride the trains and flush the crappers.

Joe

I for one applaud Gary[;)]

I bet you do. All the way to the bank! When are you buying that island with all the money you're making on those VRDs???[ip]

I just did I went to the local pet store and picked up this really nice Island for the fish Bowl all with the profits for your amps[;)]

when he buys that island i will expect an invitation!!!!!!, , craig when will you be updating your web site to show the testimoanials for the vrd's i would like to see what other buyers have had to say

Joe

Joe,

I'll invite you to the Island for sure but first I will have to sell a more VRD's so I can invest in a much larger fish tank.

The testimenials will go up when I have the rest and layout for the final page in place. I have to hire someone to put my thought into words (which we all know this person will have to be very talented). I want the next barrage of changes to go in all at once it saves money that way.

Craig

Joe,

I'm with ya brother I had a guy over to pickup some Cornwalls Craig

I'm the guy that picked up the Cornwalls from Craig. What a day! I buy a set of Cornwalls, I meet a guy who is more of a tube fanatic than me, he has two killer systems running with LaScallas (and yes the system with his own amp was the best of the two), and his house is like a tube amp museum. I could of stayed all day, but I was playing hooky from work to pick up the Cornwalls. Then I get home, after work, and hook up the Cornwalls. Nothing much else has gotten done this weekend but listen to music. I didn't know it could sound this good. I immediatly ordered some Auricaps for the crossovers (type B).

I had never heard a Klipsch Heritage speaker in my life until Friday. I now have to sell every other speaker I own. My head is spinning too. Thanks Craig for the experience and damn nice to meet you.

Mike