His & Her Room!

westcott

Well,

My wife and i are almost finished with our family room\Home Theater.

Here are some pictures minus some artwork and area rugs.

This is the front view with curtains and hurricane shutters open.

The ceilings are 18' high and the room is 16' wide and 23' long, not counting the kitchen on the back wall.

post-18024-13819273990104_thumb.jpg

Left wall is 18' high and is almost all glass. This shot is with the Hurricane shutters and custom drapes closed. The curtains have black out linings and make the room really dark when closed. I actually sealed up one of the transom windows above the fireplace. It just was not economically feasible to properly place curtains and it limited our ability to place artwork above the mantel. The hurricane shutters were the only feasible solutuion for the upper windows due to their location and shape (have you ever tried getting electric shades for an arched window?)

post-18024-13819273996594_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of the audio\video rack with the drawer pulled out and swivelled on one side. This makes for easy access to the components and the wiring behind it.

I am really proud of how clean this installation turned out. If you notice, there are no wires visible anywhere except the sub. All wiring was laid under the Vermont Maple flooring thru channels cut in the concrete foundation including power. One of the WAF issues that had to be addressed. I would have liked a dedicated HT but all of the rooms in the house are acoustically unviable except the MBR and you know that was not going to happen. We have no basements here in the South so compromises had to be made.

post-18024-13819274000134_thumb.jpg

The rear wall opens to the newly remodeled kitchen. I still have some light fixtures and curtains coming but it is almost complete, as well. The Next Generation RF transmitter will be secured later under the island. The NG was a perfect solution since I wanted to hide all the components behind the couch and out of direct view (2nd WAF guideline). Fewer distractions from component face illumination. This also allowed me to place the center channel speaker and the screen in better positions for viewing and listening to the TV and the big screen.

post-18024-13819274001704_thumb.jpg

All of the furniture is from the Todd Oldham\LayZ Boy collection (except the AV rack and matching cocktail table which are Canadian made by Laurier). They are from his Snap series which allows us to remove the side and back rests for a very versatile seating arrangement.

My wife and I did all the wiring, mounting of wall scounces, laying of the flooring, equipment and furniture selection, painting, drywall, and texturing was also done by my wife and I.

The quarter round and baseboards hide some wiring but most of the wire runs under the floor from the audio\video rack behind the couch to the 27"TV and all the speakers. It was not possible to run the wiring through the walls due to the sheer quantity of cables and the possibility of compromising the structural integrity of the outside supporting walls for the roof. The fireplace was a hinderance when it came to wiring as was the two doors leading to the study. We counted 45 holes in the three walls before patching, texturing, and painting with a Chamois flat latex (two coats on a 23' ladder....uggggh!)

I want to thank my wife for allowing me to use the living room as a HT, my friends for all their help, and all of the forum members who provided support and advice throughout the process.

Your feedback is welcome and thanks again for all your help and advice!!!!

post-18024-13819274003524_thumb.jpg