EL34's in a Dynaco MKIII

AnalOg

I have a Quad of EH EL34's that I bought about 2 years ago with the intent of running them through the Marks. I was detered because I was told that I would have to do some mods in order to use them. Can anyone give me a little insight on what has to be done or checked for that matter?

Tom

Don't do it Tom!!! The 5U4 will not drop enough voltage and EL34 will sound like crap compared to KT88's trust me on this its just simply a poor match. Also the voltages will be to high in the amp every where. The falacy is that 5U4 will drop 45 volts off the B+ and this is true if you kept the KT88's in there biased at 70mA but in reality you will have to lower the bias to about 45mA on the EL34's to keep them from cherry red syndrome which will cause way less voltage drop across the power supply so every thing you gained by switching rectifiers you lost! Then factor in your losing the slow start feature and even biased at 45mA with 500V on the plate the EL34 will not last long no way no how. (the 5U4 acts much like a SS rectifier throw the switch and the voltage is instant on)

Craig

Oh and let me clarify something. If you had a nice set of Mullard XF1 or XF2's you could do this with much better results. I have a set of XF2's and they can take the heat I've biased them up to 60mA with 515V on the plates without cherry red syndrome. The problem I'm speaking of is with all the modern EL34's that I have tried(orignal Svet's, EI's, EH and so on) just can't take the heat like those old battle wagon Mullards. But even with the Mullards I still prefer the sound of my sweet little Chinese KT88's much better tonal balance.

Craig