UPGRADE your old Klipschorns CROSSOVERS !

Born2RockU

Craig and Craig on the phone. How did you guys work that out -- use an egg timer to decide who's turn it is to talk? [:D]

I missed this Dean very good! I always look twice when I post to Craig it just looks strange having a post from and too the same name. Now If I could just learn to check my spelling and grammar before I hit "submit"

Craig

You should steal the old Winston slogan. "Whaddya want, good grammar or good taste?" Your problem with grammar, spelling and usage is almost like your trademark around here. Seriously though, most of your problems with it could be straightened out with just a day or two of someone working with you on it. I don't think it would be much of challenge for you if you decided it was important enough to deal with.

I write fairly decent I suppose, but I don't follow the hard rules either -- like my constant use of dashes to break up my thoughts (as if they weren't broken up enough on their own :). Sometimes I write out a post, and if I go back over it later I catch all kinds of weird things.

In this hobby the single most important thing is the math, and in this regard you are light years ahead of many of the best writers here. This reminds me of Al too, who struggles with dyslexia -- but can put my mind into a complete state of meltdown with just a single paragraph of filter design instruction. Your amp explanations are the same way -- I don't understand a damn thing your talking about, and even if you used perfect grammar and spelling -- it wouldn't help me much.

Just so that you know, those networks are not complete unless you include the 4mh Iron Core coil and pair of 50uf Aerovox caps that are housed on the door in woofer bin. Otherwise all you have is a network to run your mids and highs.

Sunny, the T4A is still available from Klipsch for about $42.

a DeanG quote :

In this hobby the single most important thing is the math...

Somebody ask Dean how he is doing today w/ his math skills.......[;)]

• 3 weeks later...

Craig:

Do you still have these networks available? I have done some preliminary work with regard to building a series (rather than more common parallel) network for my K-horns, and thought of these. What you had before Dean's may in fact be a series network, but I can't confirm that at this point. However, you may have a small 'issue' to deal with. Something didn't look right about the picture you supplied -- basically that half the network is missing. If this is a series network (perhaps also even if it isn't), the large capacitor/s in the low-pass branch are not there. In other words, if all you did was remove the crossover boards from the upper portion and replace it with the networks you received from Dean, you may have some work still to do.

Remember that connection on the terminal cup on the bass bin? That's a pretty significant connection, Craig, and you need to check, either by removing just the terminal cup (carefully so you can have a look inside with a flashlight) or the entire panel, to see if you can find those large capacitors.

A series network will have an inductor and a capacitor wired in series with each other (two each), and it looks to me that there is a lone choke on the board that may be associated with the capacitors inside the cabinet. The choke will provide a low impedance for low frequencies so they travel through it rather than the tweeter and/or midrange and provide a shunt to HF signals. This particular network may in fact be a parallel type, but in both cases parts are missing!

In any case, if you haven't already checked on this, I think it's important that you do. It might be a good idea to open that panel to see what's in there.

Erik

Craig:

"Just so that you know, those networks are not complete unless you include the 4mh Iron Core coil and pair of 50uf Aerovox caps that are housed on the door in woofer bin. Otherwise all you have is a network to run your mids and highs."

I just found this information in the same thread. This thing is looking less like a first order series network, but you need to check on it. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I can tell from the picture of the networks on the ebay auction that they are inocomplete.

Erik

Those are sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5826899294

Craig correctly listed those as "AK-3 Crossovers for Klipschorn Mid-Range and Tweeter with Manual Mid-Range Attenuation L-Pad."

Buyer's have the responsibility of reading the ad and understanding what they are buying -- if not, they can ask questions until they do.

I misunderstood. I thought you were worried that he sold an incomplete set of networks to an unsuspecting customer. When Craig emailed me about networks he didn't know the low pass section was in the bass bin -- but I did. Craig is running the stock 2nd order AK-3 low pass with the SAA first order bandpass. IOWs, no, I didn't include the first order low pass section of the SAA on the networks I sold him.

Good luck with your cereal filter.

Dean:

This is all clear. I know Craig, and he would never offer something for anything other than it was, and that was clear in the ebay description he provided. It just suddenly dawned on me that he may have forgotten that the other part of the AK-3 was still in the bass bin. I was concerned that he might have gotten a complete network from you, and that is obviously not the case. In other words, what I was thinking about had to do with whatever the result might be on his end, not the buyer's.

Anway, he said he LOVES the new networks, so everything is cool.

This false alarm is my fault -- sorry about that.

Erik