Anybody using Marantz monoblocks?

boa12

specifically i'm lookin at that Marantz MA6100 125W block to drive my rear center klf c7 along w/ the acurus A200X5 for the other 5.

really like the modular design of the 6100 as i'm pretty much out of space on my rack. it's only 4 in. wide. also the acurus seems a pretty close match to the amps on my marantz sr8000 - warm & smooth - & assume the 6100 would sound similar.

i'd probably look for an acurus A200 but no room for it & doubt i'd need a 7th channel in the near future. & the acurus amps can't be bridged.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

boa,

I recently bought a MA 500 which is the older version of the 6100 to power my rear center surround. wwWhen I got it home I realized it did not have a DC trigger to turn it on so I decided to take it back and get the dealer to order me a 6100. I did try it though, and it sounded great with my Marantz MM9000 5-ch amp.

I will let you know how the 6100 sounds when I get it in and hook it up. There should not be any difference.

Keep in mind that if you got a A200 or similar 2-ch amp, you could use the other chanel to drive a SVS CS

sub(at 4 ohms) or something like.

thanks aab. please let me know how that 6100 sounds. i've found it on the net at prices around $225, about 1/2 as much as the A200 going on ebay & ubid. could also look at an A100 but i just don't have the space left as either 1 isn't much smaller than the A200X5.

i could always pick up an acurus in the future then use

the ma6100 as a front center amp w/ my marantz receiver. i'm always thinking of ways to spend more $ Smile.gifFrown.gif

If I remember correctly the A100 is not bridgeable

so you would only have 100 watts going to your rear

surround and 200 going to all the others therefor you would have to turn your rear surrounds up in level quite a bit to compensate. I had to turn up the

125 watt monoblock a little bit to compensate for the diff in 125 and 150 watts but since my 6.1 is outboard of my preamp I do not know how much in db terms.

yea apparently none of the acurus amps are bridgable. i'm assuming 125W from the ma6100 will be enough for a rear center c7. guess won't know for sure til i try it here. maybe an A200 some time in the future.

wonder if any other monoblocks out there as trimline & low cost as the marantz that might work better w/ an acurus & c7?

marantz ma-700's kick a**! it sounds like the one you're looking at will work well. for more power, try bridging an audio source entry level amp (ampONE) mono. good value, lots of power! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Boa,

Doesn't really answer your question, but I bought my dad an MA6100 from a local dealer for $125, and the versatility of these things is amazing. He's using it for his SVS sub, and it works great. He didn't have room for another "Amp", but this one sits nicely next to his Denon receiver, without needing a rack space.

He loves it!

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

thanks guys. that ma6100 looks/sounds real fine. t-man please don't say that was a new in sealed box price Smile.gif

i'm looking at putting the ma6100, acurus A200X5 & a new B&K reference 30 pre/pro together for my system.

just a lil afraid of some sonic differences problems there (& the B&K's remote). guess only way to find out

is to listen to 'em together(?).

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HT200 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

Monster HTS1000 powercenter

rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

Boa,

Using 3 MA700's 2 for my front Khorns(the Adcom GFA-585LE previous) and the single MA700 powers the C7 rear centre I have. Mind you, I have to tweak it over the front centre direct off the SR18EX.

The MA700 scores big time, but at 200w?????? Way to much for my individual c7,should have got the 6100.

All I can say is GREAT mono blocks...and I thought the Adcom GFA-565 mono was good. As they say, dynamite comes in small packages Smile.gif

Yea, I found that deal here locally on an open boxed item, but was new. Just opened to examine contents (supposedly). No more to be had there.

Boa, should work great for your rear center.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron