eBay H/K 730 truly "Near Mint"

DizRotus

The eBay listing, Near Mint Harmon Kardon 730 Vintage Stereo Receiver provided an opportunity to get a receiver to power the La Scalas (Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold ) that Im getting from Michael Colter to provide to the local high school.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So many people have had bad experiences with eBay that I want to share this good one. Naturally, I was skeptical about the Near Mint description of the item. Also, the $160 price was toward the high end, but it included free shipping. Nevertheless, the auction was ending with 0 bids. I sniped a bid and got it for $160.00. The price seemed fair, given the fact that similar units frequently go for $135.00 plus $25.00 for shipping.

This seller did not exaggerate. The photos attached to this and subsequent posts show a unit without the years of dust and grime that youd expect on a receiver built in 1976 or 1977. Its not just that its clean; it doesnt appear to have been cleaned.

More important than its appearance is its performance, which is flawless. All bulbs light and everything works. It sounds great on Cornwalls, LS3/5as and DIY single driver rear horns. Im eager to hear it with the La Scalas.

Michael Colter expressed reservations about wasting such a classics piece of audio gear on a bunch of high school kids. Im starting to feel his pain. Nevertheless, the kids deserve to hear their La Scalas powered by quality gear. More exotic separates (tube or SS) are not in the budget, so this is a worthy use of the H/K 730.

post-8936-1381927435375_thumb.jpg

You know I was just looking at these photo's and started wondering if anyone has ever had one of these HK's freshened up? There has to be some fatigue on the various caps and other passives in them. I say this because I know that my Tuner Tech who specializes in vintage SS tuners and receivers always replaces all the small value electrolytes and power supply caps in his normal deluxe tune ups and tells me it makes a good bit of difference. I think someone handy ought to give it a whirl with the HK's it looks to be a pretty straight forward easy to work on design.

Craig

I can't believe how many people misspell "Harman" in their listings. Anyway, that baby is a beauty.

Perhaps it's subconscious, harmony is a good thing in music. You're right though. Many people misspell "Harman" in their eBay listings. If you don't search for "Harmon" you'll miss a lot of listings.

The seller responded to my question regarding the history of the unit as follows:

"I collect collectibles, electronics, computer software and equipment and cameras or anything else that interests me at flea markets and thrift shops.

I got this reciever at a Salvation Army Thrift shop"

From a Salvation Army Thrift Shop to a high school band room, what a provenance.

I didn't mean it that way, I just thought that you might get more enjoyment and appreciation out of that minty vintage piece than the pizza face crowd. I mean, those LS could be powered by anything. But why not just give em the best you've got. Maybe it was just meant to be, y'know!

M