Really Odd Question

joshnich

Hello all

This is a really odd off topic question. But I would be interested in your opinions.

I am scheduled to go to Paris this week with my wife and three kids ( 17, 15, 13 ). Its my wifes 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary. We are staying in the le maire in an apartment. I have been trying to get an accurate account of what the heck is going on there, but the info I find is either from left wing French apologists or right wing zealots who are happy to report that France in on fire. Does anyone have first or second hand info on the situation in Paris? I am inclined to go ahead with the trip and if its bad in France just hop a train to London or Rome. I would be out the cost of the apartment.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Josh

No not really. We are planning to see an exchange student and his family ( he stayed with us last summer). Also my daughters drama teacher lives in London and was planning on comming over to Paris to visit. Other than that my personal preference would be to go to Rome. But this is my wifes choice and she picked Paris.

Josh

I sent you the link for the US Embassy ..........

http://www.amb-usa.fr/

Travelers in France who need assistance can contact the U.S. Embassy at 01-4312-2222, or by email at: citizeninfo@state.gov. The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Paris is located at 2 Rue St. Florentin, 75001 Paris (Place de La Concorde, Metro Stop Concorde), tel. 011-33-1-43-12-22-22 or (in France) 01-43-12-22-22; fax 011-33-1-42-61-61-40. Further information can be obtained at the U.S. Embassy's web site at http://france.usembassy.gov.

My wife (who has a subscription to Le Monde) says to continue with your plans. The French have too much to lose if they seriously jeopardize the tourist industry. You will probably be safer in the usual venues than you would be if there was no unrest. There is plenty to see without slumming. There is every chance that you will pick up some serious bargains.

DRBILL

Brilliant Fini!!!

As for Paris - should be fine (why not call the exchange student and ask before you go).

Champs Elysee et all will be quiet and safe - you will probably get better service there right now than at any other time. Hell - they might even speak English for you....

• Moderators

Hi Josh!

Email me, I was in Paris mid September!

Not that any of this was going on, but I can help with other questions/tips... [:)]

Seems like with any other city, be especially cautious at night. Stick close to hotel, or crowded places. Better yet, exhaust yourself during the day, and go to bed early!!

There were several armed/uniformed soldiers at all major tourist locations (Louvre, Eiffel) and at all times of the day, even during the time I was there. I felt very safe. Heck, there was even a guard watching Jim Morrison's grave.

Hi Josh!

very safe. Heck, there was even a guard watching Jim Morrison's grave.

That can't be making Jim very happy.....

'I am the Lizard King,

I can do anything

I can make the blue cars go away.."

oops, I guess not today

You mean they never got him moved back to USof A? I thought that was to happen years ago?

Michael

• Moderators

I hadn't heard they planned to move him.

I went to Pere LaChaise specifically to see the grave.... I wasn't a huge fan, but I did enjoy the movie and remember vividly that last shot of the cemetery and all the graffiti leading up to and all over it, flowers, etc, everywhere.

First off, the cemetery is quite a hike out of the mainstream touristy sites, so it was a special trip. Then, confident me, thought it would be a piece of cake to find the grave in a square half mile of tombs packed very tightly together, so I didn't bother with a map. 45 minutes later, some helpful person pointed the way (I was so close!), and I came upon probably one of the tiniest graves in the place tucked behind other graves that simply said James Douglas Morrison 1943-1971, and something in Greek or Latin-- I have no idea--with only a very few flowers strewn about. No graffiti anywhere, and apparently, his bust had long ago been stolen. Sigh.

He did have the perpetual guard, however. Of all the unbelievably famous people that rest in there, his was the only one under watch.

I believe I have some pics.... Bragging rights for anyone who can tell me what the tombstone says in English (no fair looking it up!)

post-4329-13819275987746_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Chopin and Moliere I've heard of... Aguste Compte... And there's a Rothschild...

I believe there was a massacre there during one of the revolutions. They just buried the people they shot right where they fell. I guess that's one way to get into an elite cemetery. Seems rather drastic, though.