Came back from business trip, Quartet has a black ring on it...wife not sure how it happened.

alkemyst

Those dusting cans get very cold after use and can actually form ice on the outside, so it's a distinct possibility that one might have deposited some moisture on your cabinet.

My charming and dutiful spouse has registered rings on several inconvenient surfaces in our home, including some hardwood floors and a cherished family heirloom antique table. After the last episode, I tossed the offending plant out into the yard with the threat that they would all follow if another crop circle was detected. I like plants just fine, but they belong outside, not inside. After all, I don't park my car in the living room. [:P]

Just like leaving expensive carving knives with wooden handles to soak in the sink, for some reason the female of the species does not understand that:

WOOD AND WATER DON"T MIX

Therefore Ferns should never be placed on wooden speaker cabinets. Nor anything else containing any liquid or that is likely to form any condensate of any form. geesh...

I suggest using her Hummel figurines for target practice when archery season begins again.

Michael

Alkemyst,

Sorry about your misfortune

Back to your original question....

As I understand it your cabinets are oiled oak. The ring may have come from water; however, you usually need the dampness to be sustained over a longer period (eg, potted plant). Sometimes, a cleaning solution that contains ammonia might do this (it reacts with the tannins that are natural in oak). Anyhow, short of a great deal of work, there is no simple solution. If you do get advice, make sure it is from someone who has actually done this on a similar finish (do not rely on second hand opinions - " my neighbor knew someone who .....")

Havng said that, the labor intensive option (and it assumes some expereince) is to lightly strip the finsh from the top only (chemically not mechanically). Then very lightly sand the top (very fine-grit) being careful not to round the edges. This is only to smooth the surface since the grain will have been raised from using the stripper. Once it is dry, put a few drops of paint thinner on. The color that you now see will be the color if you simply oil it without any using any pigments in the oil. The match will no be perfect, however, if you only do the top surface your eye is forgiving since the other cabinet surfaces are not parallel and adjacent. Otherwise, you will need to use a pigmented oil. Matching the color requires experiementation. The experiment can be done neatly on the cabinet bottom I assume (this will be hidden anyway).

I recommend Watco danish oil finishes (although the sheen may differ - so only use it on the one surface & do not try to "blend" in the other surfaces).

The common trip ups will be to try and sand the stain away (do not do that) and to treat more than just the single surface (stay confined to the one surface).

There are some who think the Formby products may work. I have not tried them - I do not know. If you do that (and it would be easier, if it works) make sure you hear it from someone who has actually used it to fix a dark ring on a oiled hardwood veneer.

Good Luck,

-Tom

They don't mix??? I will tell the guys at the local nursery not to water their trees.[:)][:D][;)]

And don't mess with my collectible Precious Moments if you know what is good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.

[:$]oops sorry Julie, ya got me good. I forgot that you've been checking in here, sorry, no really I truly am. [:$]

no wonder I don't have a gal pal.....

M