Best Movie, Best Actor and Actress, and Best Director so far?

Colin

King Kong may have a lock on Movie of the Year due its gargantuan budget. Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives an excellent Best Actor performance, although Capote makes you wait for it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Except for those two, I dont know of any movies that are generating must see critical acclaim yet.

The true story of Hitlers last days in Downfall was a wrenching tale, but an acting tour de force a cinch for Bets Actor, if anybody goes to see it.

Batman Begins was very good, and I hope they make a sequel, with the same cast, suit and car.

Crash was also surprising excellent, dealing with racism and the juxtaposition of good and evil.

Dreamer was a sentimental journey no awards for that.

I enjoyed Star Wars III (#6), but a must see?

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />SinCity was a visual black and white treatdabbed with blood in the gory Quentin Tarantino style.

Harry Potter (#3?) was also very good but what awards does it deserve?

John le Carres Constant Gardener sounds very good, but I have not seen it yet.

So, 6 weeks before the end of the year and the last minute releases to win Oscar nomination, what are your picks for Best Movie, Best Actor and Actress, and Best Director so far?[H]

I agree Amy and I havent' even seen the movie. It probally will take home every award it can. Rumor has it Joaquin Phoenix will accept no awards if it wins. He is doing this truely for his craft. So the rumor goes, and we will see as he probally will win.

I bet Joaquin could have his own version of the steps to Kevin Bacon game. And he's a better actor. I've read Walk the Line isn't great, though. Joaquin should accept the award if he gets it, though. He'd be doing it for his fans, not his "craft".

Incredible with his cleft palate how he has become one of the best actors out there. River would be proud--

• Moderators

I heard that Joaquin is not going to actively campaign for the nomination, which is admirable. I hadn't heard he wouldn't accept it if he won. I hope that's not the case!

I also think Philip Seymour Hoffman will be in the running for Capote. I'm either going to see that this weekend, or Walk the Line, I can't decide [:)]

Let's not forget the new Charlize Theron movie where she works in the mine and gets sexually harassed. I think they are definitely gunning for Oscars with that one. Plus Charlize might want to add another one to her collection.

The new Harry Potter is the fourth in the series, not third.

Best Actress nominees:

Joan Allen for "The Upside of Anger"
Rachel Weisz for "The Constant Gardener"
Toni Collette for "In Her Shoes"
Renee Zellweger for "Cinderella Man"
Reese Witherspoon for "Walk the Line"
Thandie Newton for "Crash"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Rosario Dawson-Rent
Idina Menzel-Rent
Ziyi Zhang-Memoires of a Geisha
Charlize Theron- North Country

wadda think?

• Moderators

Hi Colin,

I must admit, I'm an Oscar junkie....not sure why, really. I just think it's fun to try to guess.

I usually try to see every movie that might be in the running for the major categories, but I've been a little preoccupied as of late! Plus movies are just so dern expensive... [:@]

From your list, I've only seen Upside of Anger and Crash...and I like those picks! Joan Allen was wonderful (as usual), as was Thandie Newton. She might have a hard time getting into that category, though, since the cast was so large and no one really had top billing. Perhaps a supporting nod?

I need to get out more [:)] And why hasn't Cinderella Man been released on DVD yet? Are they going to do yet another re-re-release for Oscar time? That seems a little much.