cassette to CD

T2K

My Dad has cassettes that he recorded in his home studio that he would like to transfer to CD. I'm wondering if a CD burner will allow wiring analog outputs from a cassette player into said burner, and what sound quality could one expect from this setup? I know nothing about CD burners so any input would be appreciated.

Stated simply, I want to tranfer cassette to CD.

Thanks.

Keith

It's easy, I have done it.

Buy one of these. I paid $200 at Best Buy and I use it to transfer LPs to CDs for the car and have also tranferred a couple of cassette tapes as well. You have to manually put in the track numbers as it records if you want them. This is a great machine and it has made my commute much more enjoyable!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=SORCDW500C&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=277123

277123.jpg

Using your PC, there are several programs that will allow you to record analogue sorurces into your computer. My favorite is Magix Audio Cleaning lab. It retails for about 50 bucks at best buy, and has several cleaning features that will make any tape sound good. My wife has quite a collection of cassettes from the '80's that I have converted. They sound pretty decent.

The cheapest way to do this would be with your PC. You just need a wave

editor to record from the line in and software to burn it.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 & Nero 7 both have everything you need

to do this. Roxio's software includes their "LP & Tape Assistant"

which has user adjustable options to search for the silence between

tracks to separate the tracks. Similar to how some later tape decks had

a track skip function.

With a bit of patience you could do this just with the programs that

come with Windows, but Roxio's software seems to be the easier method.

I agree it is cheaper to use a PC, but it would be a real pain in the neck for me. I don't have a laptop and my computer is as far away from my hi-fi as it could be in my home. So, since I make CDs from LPs all the time, I'd have to drag it downstairs and mess around with interconnects which means pulling the damn cabinet out from the wall--you get the drill.

With the cheap-o Sony (YIKES!! SONY!!!) hooked up to the system permanently it's CAKE.

WOW! Great answers, and fast too. Thanks.

The aged one has realized that tape is passe, and the disc is inevitable. So I think the process that Allen has described is the way to go. Besides, thats what HE (the old man)wants to do. I will have to check into the programs suggested though since I have CD and DVD burners on my computer, but have yet to use them.

Thanks again for the help. I'll have to e-mail Santa.

Keith