Can I get a quality DVD player for $200-$300 or less? Which one/s?

tidmack

Hi everyone,

First, if anyone has suggestions on the search function of the board, help me out. You'd think we could sort the search by date too. I tried to look there first for recent info.

I'm looking to upgrade my crummy $50 Toshiba player that's about 2 years old. LOTS of pixelation (sp?), even new discs. Pretty much a piece.

I don't have any fancy cables for audio because my Mac preamp can only accept RCA, so I'm guessing that a new player with an average audio section may sound just as good as one with excellent audio on my setup. I do have the video with component cables though and a Sony tube HD (34HS420), so I wouldn't mind having a quality video section if possible.

I know in my price range I'm not going to get the best, but are there any incredible values out there that I may be happy with? As always, thanks a ton for your input-

Jeff Tiedke

Hi everyone,

First, if anyone has suggestions on the search function of the board, help me out. You'd think we could sort the search by date too. I tried to look there first for recent info.

I'm looking to upgrade my crummy $50 Toshiba player that's about 2 years old. LOTS of pixelation (sp?), even new discs. Pretty much a piece.

I don't have any fancy cables for audio because my Mac preamp can only accept RCA, so I'm guessing that a new player with an average audio section may sound just as good as one with excellent audio on my setup. I do have the video with component cables though and a Sony tube HD (34HS420), so I wouldn't mind having a quality video section if possible.

I know in my price range I'm not going to get the best, but are there any incredible values out there that I may be happy with? As always, thanks a ton for your input-

Jeff Tiedke

Jeff,

Here is a link to a site that will give you a rating of most DVD players for consideration. You will find Denon, Oppo, Panasonic, and a couple other players on this site that rank well and are under US$300!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

This rating really rates to video so if audio is your thing, you may want to audition before you buy.

The Oppo looks really good. The Panasonic XP-30 and XP-50 are

really good players -- I use the 30. There is also a sister model

to the XP-30 -- RP-62? that doubles as the Denon 1600.

These suffer a motor failure problem that the 30 and 50 do not.

Trouble is, all the good, inexpensive Panasonics are out of

production. If I were to buy a new DVD player today, it would be

the Oppo.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input everyone. I ordered the Oppo today and should have it early next week. I'll keep in touch with how it performs. have a good one-

Jeff

They just released a firmware upgrade that will make your Oppo perform even better.

The new Oppo is ranked higher than the Denon 5910 now and is number 1 !!!!!

A few of the added features are DVD Audio, TrueLife Faroudja filters, cross color suppression control, 2-2 based cadence, and bass mangement.

Unfortunately, it is only throught the DVI output. I would have liked to have seen an HDMI output with 10 bit RGB signal level output on HDMI. The chip is capable, the DVI output is not.

Component output is limited to 480i.