protecting speakers

bismarck

I am brand new to this forum, and home theater thing so i hope i am not asking anything to ridiculous.

I have just bought a synergy klipsch system. I get a discount on the series so i couldn't help but buy them. I am not an audiophile by any means, but definately want to learn. I am gonna be a poor college student next year, and want my speakers to last for a long time. I basically want to know what i can do to make sure my speakers don't blow, or i don't damage the former from to much bass or something. I am also not sure how loud i can turn up the reciever before damaging the speakers, or what crossover frequency i should have it set at.

I bought

b-3 pair

c-2

s-2 pair

yamaha HTR_5840 reciever

and am waiting until my next paycheck to get the 12 or 10 inch sub, i don't know which one to get.

If there are any guides or anything specific with my speakers i would greatly appreciate some help because i can't afford to ruin my speakers.

Thanks[:)]

First off, definetly get the Sub-12, even if it means you have to wait an extra week or two to purcahse it. You will be most thankful in the long run.

As far as protecting your speakers....just don't run your reciever into clipping. After calibrating the levels, you can be assured that you will never have clipping problems as long as you stay below "0" on the reciever. Just about all speaker damage occurs from overdriving the amp, NOT overdriving the speakers themselves. In fact, the speakers will sound distorted at levels far before any damage would start occuring, which would be your cue to turn down the volume. An amp on the other hand doesn't give any audible clues until it actually starts clipping....and a clipping amp sends DC which rips apart speakers like no other.

Anyways, even the products in the synergy lineup have a very high sensitivity which means you get a lot of volume for less watts. In other words, your ears will be bleeding far before any clipping will occur.

Congrats on your new setup and welcome to the forum.

You should be fine so don't worry but...IF you listen VERY, VERY loud (like earplitting levels) then you want to make sure your tone or EQ controls (and loudness if you have it) are not set to boost anything, at very high listening levels any boost of frequencies could cause the amp to clip, as mentioned above, and you could burn a tweeter. Otherwise I would not worry at all and enjoy your new system! regards, tony

Since they are going to be in a colllege set up, I would fuse them. Buy enough of the inline fuse holders and put one each in the + (Red) lead going to the speaker. These are easy enough to put in the speaker wire. I'd start with a 1 amp fast blow fuse. You can get both items at a Radio Shack or at Parts Express. You'll be glad you did the first time a fuse blows and saves your speaker!!!! Be sure and buy extra fuses for replacements.[:)]

I swear i just posted this, but don't see it. So maybe I did something wrong. In a nutshell i was going to say thanks for the help so far. I have 2 more questions.

I am wondering what soud level meter to get, since i can't find one on BB.com i looked at redio shack, like was suggested. I found 2 of them. Which one would be best? and should i use a tripod?

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032222&cp=2032057.2032187.2032193

Also i am wondering about a "popping" sound. Right when i got everything hooked up i put in episode 1 and went to the podracing scene. I cranked the system, and eventually heard a popping sound from my left b-3. so i turned it down significantly. I figured i could crank my system and not worry about damaging anything because the sales men at Best Buy, my co-workers, told me i wouldn't have to worry about damaging my speakers because my reciever would go into "protective" mode. I watched xmen later and didn't notice any distortion or anything, so i think evrything is fine. I looked this up on the internet briefley and found an article telling me it was something to do with my "form or former" and a rod that was smacking against it or something? I was wondering what exactly happened, and if it was very bad for the speakers?

thanks

Sounds like you may need to protect the speakers from yourself!

Best protection in your case might be the 5-step "Egg-Alert" system.

1] Get some eggs (hardboiled) from the cafeteria, wait a while for them to come up to room temperature if they are cold (so as not to leave condensation spots on the speakers). Also, starting at room temperature shortens the break-in period for the eggs.

2] Carefully place one egg in the center on top of each speaker. Don't try to support them with anything to hold them in place or constrict their movement - they need to be "free range" and able to move easily about.

3] When you "crank" the volume keep an eye on the eggs - a little rolling is acceptable, but if one falls off you've gone too loud.

4] When the eggs begin to smell bad their crank resolving power has been fully consumed and must be replaced with fresh ones.

5] Its OK to draw or write on the eggs to ensure polarity.

WARNING! Do not eat the eggs no matter how hungry; for it is likely that the same thing that made you hungry enough to eat old eggs will make you crank the amp up, too.

Since they are going to be in a colllege set up, I would fuse them. Buy enough of the inline fuse holders and put one each in the + (Red) lead going to the speaker. These are easy enough to put in the speaker wire. I'd start with a 1 amp fast blow fuse. You can get both items at a Radio Shack or at Parts Express. You'll be glad you did the first time a fuse blows and saves your speaker!!!! Be sure and buy extra fuses for replacements.[:)]

Dude, how tough was it to get all 1975's? That's an amazing collection....

Michael

bismarck - Lest you have a false sense of protection, I believe your sales staff needs to brush up on their product "expertise." The "protection" mode of your Yamaha will only shut it off in the event of a short circuit in the speaker wires, such as may happen if the wires are touching at the binding posts, per their manual. I believe it will let you fry your speakers to your heart's content. :)

bismarck - Lest you have a false sense of protection, I believe your sales staff needs to brush up on their product "expertise." The "protection" mode of your Yamaha will only shut it off in the event of a short circuit in the speaker wires, such as may happen if the wires are touching at the binding posts, per their manual. I believe it will let you fry your speakers to your heart's content. :)

The protection circuity detects the presence of DC across the amplifier outputs (which occurs if you have a short). Since the speakers can handle more power than the amp can dish out, the amp will run into clipping before the speakers (which is a bad thing and is what he experienced). Depending on how sensitive the protection circuitry is, it will turn itself off because a clipping amp sends DC down the line. Hopefully this occurs before the tweeters melt [;)]