Crown amps

heiney

The Crown K series are probably some of the most versatile amps out there and sound great in all aspects - at low volume, at high volume, low noise floor, super clean, etc etc...

If budget were no concern they would definetly be on a short list of amps to try...

So what speakers will you be mating the K2 with?

Heiney,

I haven't heard any of Gary Shinall's speakers, but would expect them

to sound quite good, even if he does owe a debt to PWK in his design.

If they are, as I'd expect, to be very close to Belles in performance,

there are only two options I would recommend as an upgrade.

Upgrade option one: add a nice sub, you may not know what you are missing in the lower registers.

Upgrade option two: get a pair of Khorns.

Daddy Dee, I get the notion from your post that perhaps you disapprove of Shinall using the PWK designs. I used to have the same feeling, but I've changed my mind. Especially now that Klipsch has ceased making the Belle.

I think that Gary Shinall is actually performing a service keeping the original designs intact and available. It is clear that they are quality products. And it's not like it's a real form of competition to KlipschCo. I don't see any harm whatsoever.

I think PWK would even approve. Evidently, Shinall knew PWK anyway. It is certainly not easy to make these horn things and remain profitable. I say good for Shinall. If we wait long enough perhaps the only people making PWK designs will be third parties only, who knows.

Now onto Crown gear - I own a DC-150 and IC-150 pre since the early 80's. I think they totally reek now, but they didn't back then when I traded a Phase Linear 400 and preamp for them. This may be an unfair comparison but compared to other quality gear, I think they are grainy, flat and irritating. Fine for PA work, but not decent audio, IMO. Maybe I should have kept the Phase Linear gear instead! Interestingly, the Crown gear apparently has a higher resale now than when they were new. I certainly do not know why.

Just my opinion.

DM

_djk_

Online Status: Online

Posted: November 27 2005 at 2:04pm | IP Logged

The Crest sounds much cleaner than the Crown for HF use.

If you try and run four 8R woofers on a Crown VZ amplifier the ODEP lights will be flashing all the time, the Crest will thump harder.

A few years back in the USA you saw Crest #1, and a three way tie for runner up with QCS, Crown, and Carver. Carver sounded even cleaner on the HF than the Crest, but didn't like lower than 4R, so you saw two 8R drivers a side for mids, and up to four 16R HF compression drivers on these amps.

Crest was popular for all round use, and could drive 2R for both mids and HF. While they could drive 2R for bass, they sounded better and would last 10X longer only driving 4R.

Sometimes it comes down to your pocketbook. If you gave me a rack of Crown amps I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at them. If I had a blank check it would be a different story.

I have about 40 amplifiers for hire. Crest is prefered to Crown, Crown is prefered to QSC. For HF use Carver and AB International are prefered to Crest. I have a few amps that are even better, but will not mention as they are no longer available, and are very, very heavy.

Size, the 8001 is 3-space, the VZ3600 is 2-space.
Weight, big balls=heavy.
Cost.