Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ya it was funny, while I was alternating choking on fumes and dust I was thinking flames and gold leaf and every color I can think of. I want something other than just black, but black horns are the only thing I can think of that wouldnt make heritage speakers look like an abominiation.

hey I am open to ideas, I may try the brownish cream color to match my Corns, but that would mean I would have to prep atleast one more of these things.....shudder....

so tofu you are at what, day two? what do ya think now

TRiv,

you make a very good point and I am going to give flipping them a whirl. thanks for the input. ofcourse my pie slice will be upside down[:(]

"so for about $400, i wouldn't need tweeters. "

May not, depends on how you liked it. The 902s have more extension then the K77s for example.

"now assuming

i did this, i read in this thread or the other that running two way

makes the higher frequencies "beam" at you. that doesnt sound like a

good thing :("

'Beaming' means that if you move outside of where the horns are aimed

(esp. in the vertical plane) then high end will roll off quicker then

the rest of the music. How much of a problem that is depends upon you.

If you always listen from the sweet spot and have the horns aimed at

you it likely won't be an issue. If you listen critically from all over

the place it might be a problem.

Shawn

ah live and learn, aircraft stripper wont bother the metal though. Its not so much the cost it's getting the painter to actually do something, I was trying to get them so all he would have to do is hang and spray. while I stared holes in him. It'll all work in the end.

Yes, with the ALKs you can run the 902s no problem.

The loading cap is a plastic cap that fits on the backside of the

diaphragm. It basically seals off the back of the diaphragm with a

smaller volume of air. The idea is the smaller volume of air is a

stronger 'spring' to help reduce overexcursion of the diaphragm on low

frequency material at high SPL.

Shawn

I did not realize you were watching that auction. I contacted the guy about those. He only lives one hour from me. This is the second time these are up for auction.

I was gonna sniper bid those but I don't want to create enemies here.

jc

Unfortunately, it wasn't me. Damn man. My bad. My computer crashed about 15 minutes after I posted on the thread. Didn't get a chance to fix the prob until I put the little one down.

I would have responded to you and suggested you go ahead and buy them.

I guess I shouldn't of said anything but I don't want a bid war with a fellow forum member. I have lost chances at a lot of Cornwall opportunities and different drivers because of forum members mentioning their interest here.

I have lost a good many auctions to Bob Crites. If I would have known in advance he was following that auction, I wouldn't bid. Again...I don't want a bidding war with forum members.

Again, sorry if I messed you up.

jc

Tofu, are you still looking for 511's then? I'd like to bid on a pair, and these are in Illinois, very near me. But I consider you next in line if you want these. Otherwise I'll be bidding same ebay name as forum name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-511B-Horns-matching-pair_W0QQitemZ5841162194QQcategoryZ73372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lol, no problem jc. it happens.

colter, the auction was for altec 902's. i got my 511's the other day for $95 shipped. originally paid 110, but he refunded 15 because shipping was cheaper.

im afraid i won't have anything left to upgrade after the 902's...

it sure is fun "modding" your speakers.

okay, then please guys, consider me the next bidder on 'The 511's must be Right"

I hope to get that pair in Illinois, shipping will be cheap, 0 if I can get WHo to p/u for me LOL.

So fair price for the bare horn is around $100 per pair? Then I'll need the adapter throat to use K55's to start with, right?

Michael

Travisc: I wish I had a blast cabinet, it would be only a few minutes to remove all the paint and grunge from horns like that. Glass bead will give a nice satin finish on aluminum and have very little dimensional change. I have access to a large blaster, to use outdoors, and have a small spot blaster.

One of these days, with access to a large metal brake I will make a blast cabinet large enough for engine blocks and big rims. How about powder coating? Sounds like a good option for getting even coverage of all those fins, plus it is pretty durable.