Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

Thanks JC. GOT THEM! $120, but there wont' be any shipping. Plus ultra-clean, used at a School of Music, so they're used to having beautiful tunes squeezed (squoze?) through them. wwwoooohhhooo

I'm going to Milwaukee this weekend, so might just wander by Sunday afternoon and PICK THEM UP (as is my style).

So now I've got to re-read this whole friggin post to figures out what to do with them, right?

JC's up next, I believe.

This is getting entirely out of hand...

Michael

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

congrats Michael.

My other two 6.8 caps are backordered from PE so I have the chance to hear the difference between the center and my mains. I cant wait to get it all stitched together.

Watched a movie last night, does pretty good. What I am very impressed with is running 3 channel stereo. Wall of sound

Thanks for posting Terry. I was worried I'd paid too much, but I had to inch up to that point to hit his reserve. I suppose an alternative strategy would have been to let them go unpurchased, then contact buyer. But it just felt like no one else was going to bid them up so I did snag them for the reserve.

It's not said very often around here, but our 'gentlemen's network' of not bidding each other up on ebay items really works well. Imagine if JC and I got in a war over those babies? It'd probably be the first pair to sell for over $350!

I did notice the comments about the pair that went for over $200, and I bid just over a round number to get the 'Reserve not Met' to go away and not any more.

JC, please announce which pair you are going after and it looks like the next ones are yours. There is an older set in CA, I beleive, with green paint, that might sell pretty cheaply. I think they have the cut and caulk mod done. I don't know if mine did or not.

Michael

Thanks Micheal. I saw the green ones. may not bid on those...not sure. I'll keep looking for some super clean ones like yours. Also hunting for some 902's like Terry has. May have to borrow his sometjme for a test run.

Right now I need to get the ALK dbb network behind me. One part on the way!

Colter, you are

killing me. I was eyeballin those 511's from IL. Good

luck. Goin to bed. I'll get the next pair.

James & Michael,

You guys are lucky. They were not as plentiful, and more expensive when I got mine.

JC you got mail.

Terry

They are a great value used today, I bought a pair of 811B's in 1978

for a project ( never built) from a local industrial sound co.(

authorized Altec dealer), for $285 ( 1978 money) new. Just out of high

school selling hi-fi for $5 hour, they sure were expensive then, the

511's were over $350 a pair new! Except for ones that are

physically damaged, they don't wear out, just need paint, maybe. Still

wondering if the expensive ($600-900 a pair) 311-90's with the K55V

crossed at 400hz would be worth the upgrade from the 511?

............" Still wondering if the expensive ($600-900 a pair) 311-90's with the K55V crossed at 400hz would be worth the upgrade from the 511?"........

You and me both.[8-)].....................

But then,...... the 291(?) driver,.......then new filters,.......then TAD or Baby-Cheeks tweets,.......atop JC's dbb.......and then,.......and then.......[:S]

It appears that some of us have the bug.[<:o)][:'(][:D]

Terry

Triv,

Thanks for the little price history on the Altecs, For some reason I found that very interesting.

311-90 thats a 90 degree dispersion?

what degree does the 511 have? 811?

anyone feel like giving me some more info on the model types of Altec horns or any other brand, desirability and/or personal experience, youll have all my attention[8-|]

311-90 thats a 90 degree dispersion?

what degree does the 511 have? 811?

[8-|]

Correct on the 311-90, and so are the 511 and 811, there is also a 311-60 ( 60 degree dispersion) which sell for less than the 311-90. I learned of the 311's existance from this site, someone installed on Khorns, there are also several multi-cell Altec horns that some here and elswhere have added to their systems. Many if not all the multi-cell are quit large (larger than the 511, not sure on the frequency range. If you look on ebay under "consumer electronics" and search for "horns" (don't go to sub title of speakers) and any given week there are several hundred types of horns listed, good place to at least get some idea of makes/ models available. Many auctions don't give specs/ dimensions so if something is interesting, doing google search under brands/models sometimes turn up some info.

I am actually quit happy with the 511 upgrade, now it's just curiosity about that bit much better with the 311-90, maybe even one of the multi-cells, a 300hz horn crossed at 400...... just wondering, would search for a pair if a noticable difference, now to find an empty khorn to build a sub? or is it supposed to be the other way around,Khorns with Cornwall center? Not interested in conventional sub/boom boxes, just the lower accurate bass of the Khorns...... got a bit of the bug here too.

yes I see that, finally have a day off to search the web

I cant seem to find a site that has compiled the various Altec horns and thier specs in one place

the unofficial altec site is sh!tty with a lot of dead links.

from what I have seen thus far there is only one horn with specs down to 300hz. I was trying to get a grip on the mantarays, but I have been running searches for an hour now, and most of them have more history than actual specs.

the altec forums search is worse than ours

If anyone has any links stashed away that would be relevant please post them

"from what I have seen thus far there is only one horn with specs down to 300hz. "

Nope, Altec had numerous horns down the 300hz. The 311s for example..

most of the multi-cellular horns had 300hz versions. I don't know the

Mantaray horns but I'd be they had 300hz versions too.

For the multi-cells and the sectoral horns check out:

http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/reference_library.htm

Shawn

Duke,

"don't buy a 60* horn for home use"

Depends upon the room and the speaker/listening position really.

One of the things I really like about the 805B is that I can adjust its dispersion by stuffing cells.

My L/Rs are along my side walls (which are treated) and I ended up

stuffing the outer cells to prevent the horns from shooting at the

walls. In effect it turned the horns into 60x40 horns which gave me

just about exactly the coverage I needed for the L/Rs. The center I

needed the full 80x40 for the coverage I wanted.

Shawn

Well Gang, I guess I'm really in the BIG TIME now, just got home with my minty Altec 511B horns from the Milwaukee School of Music. They are absolutely pristine, just a few paint chips, no mods, no paint, no dampening. Clean.

Question, I've heard of this anti-ringing mod where the vane welds are cut and silicone bead is put in it's place. Is this pretty much required, recommended, listen and see what I think, etc?

Travisc is sending me a couple of the adapters for K55 (Thanks for the early Christmas man!). and I've got some drivers around here loose, so might give em a shout tomorrow. Guess I'd better go back and read this entire thread also.

My ebay seller was cool enough to meet us very near I94 in Chicago on our way back from Milwaukee. Guy's name is Ross and he's a SET guy, so I told he to check out the Klipsch Forum sometime.

Sorry didn't have any time to stop by any Forum buddy's houses. It was a quick trip up there this time.

Michael