Cornwall 511B "voice of the Corn"[:)]

travisc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

okay, then please guys, consider me the next bidder on 'The 511's must be Right"

I hope to get that pair in Illinois, shipping will be cheap, 0 if I can get WHo to p/u for me LOL.

So fair price for the bare horn is around $100 per pair? Then I'll need the adapter throat to use K55's to start with, right?

Michael

i think 100-125 + shipping per pair is the "going rate." yes you'll need the adapters to use the k55. but if you're going to just upgrade to altec 902's, you may as well buy them now instead of wasting the $20 on adapters. partsexpress are real bastards with the shipping prices.

Travisc: I wish I had a blast cabinet, it would be only a few minutes to remove all the paint and grunge from horns like that. Glass bead will give a nice satin finish on aluminum and have very little dimensional change. I have access to a large blaster, to use outdoors, and have a small spot blaster.

One of these days, with access to a large metal brake I will make a blast cabinet large enough for engine blocks and big rims. How about powder coating? Sounds like a good option for getting even coverage of all those fins, plus it is pretty durable.

powder coating would be cool. not sure how much something like that would cost though. have to have the person do it right too, otherwise it comes out lumpy.

piano black horns would look quite nice.

tofu, is there any performance gain or loss with the Altec drivers? Crossover changes?

I was kinda wanting to keep this simple. Did PE rape you on the shipping?

Michael

hell if i know.. don't have the altecs yet. just reading about how "great" they were sparked my interest. [:P] not sure what crossovers you'll be using them with, but they supposedly are drop in replacements with ALKs.

as for PE raping me on the shipping, charging $7 to ground ship two < 1lb plastic adapters is a lot considering my 15lb each horns came for $15 using the same method and courier.

i don't like when the shipping cost is 70% of the product cost. i think they go by flat rates. that's the problem. shipping is probably fine if you buy a lot of junk.

"but they supposedly are drop in replacements with ALKs."

Yes, they will work fine with the ALK.

But they won't work properly with stock Klipsch networks.

1) Likely need to be able to attenuate them more then a K55

2) May be 8 or 16 ohm

3) Are full range drivers, in a stock Klipsch crossover which is just a highpass on the squawker the Altecs would result in a *very* bright system since both the midrange and the tweeter will be duplicating material. The Altecs do *not* roll off at 6kish like the K55. To use an Altec as a midrange driver *requires* a bandpass crossover for the mid-range. Otherwise tear out the tweeter crossover and tweeter and just use the woofer/squawker crossover in the Klipsch networks and run two way.

Shawn

alright, I could have worked on cars and made enough $$ to pay someone to make me a cabinet. I can tell you one thing me and Jesus dont have in common

still got wiring to do, thought you all might like to see

this will do until I get a proper center and if it sound remotely like my mains it'll be worth it.

Michael and Bob your packages went out today.

post-16943-13819276674072_thumb.jpg

Congrats.

Now you really have the bug. Tell us all again what you did with the crossover. You changed the value of the midcap and you did or didn't change the taps on the autoformer?

IMO, porting the Heresy in that size cabinet of just under 2 cubic square feet each would sound terrible.

If you really like what you are hearing, build a box for the two K22's or Build a box for one K33.

Great work. This is what makes the forum great.

jc

Thanks for the encouragement man

I was a little irritated with the cabinet building yesterday, and your various projects were in the back of my head the whole time. I havent built anything out of wood in a long time(like a tree house when I was 8) so I wanted to get a feel for it.

as for the crossover I morphed one of the heresy E's into a B and substituted a 6.8 in place of the 4uf.

really JC any constructive criticism or thoughts of any kind are very welcome. woofers seem a little shy compared to the rest, but that is only an initial feeling

If you build a new box to hold the two 12 inchers, you will probably

want them a little closer together. You won't get the same amount of

bass out of them, but that won't necessarily hurt for the center

channel.

Nice!

Nieghbor just left for work and I got to send a little juice through it[;)](I have 400 watts available)

the Eminem show track 3, I think I could hurt someone

Bass is not as authoritive as the Corns even crossed over at 80 to a rsw-15 and velodyne f1500r.

adds a heap of punch though... oh does it ever

The problem I see with the K22's is their efficiency. The Heresy by design already has a lower dB in the low end. This is unlike the Cornwall in which there is a more "match" between the highs and the lows.

Yes you doubled the woofers to increase your lowend but you have also less attenuated the K55 and K77. This is what I would recommend however, for you Quick setup/test you have done. Remember, this is for a center channel and in my setup the Herescala is there just to timbre match my fronts and I have the MC Bass mode "on" for the center so that the low end rolls off at 80Hz.

You are developing the sickness. You will soon see that the DIY project will get a lot of bang for your buck. If you are thinking of going a step further, just make a box that is as wide as the top box you have now and throw one K33 in there. The whole thing will be the shape of a "Belle" and you will have the exact match with your fronts. Obviously, you could build the box for the two K22's. Looks to me you have the room for a K33 box and you could buy one midrange driver and one tweeter and you could keep your heresies intact. You would have to build a new crossover though.

Have fun

jc