Recommend Bass guitar

Klipschguy

what sound are you looking for? How big are your hands? Musical styles?

Probably a Fender Precision would be the classic sound. Can't go too wrong and easily resaleable. Resist the urge to get an inexpensive bass because the action will be so bad that you'll get disgusted easily. But being a guitar player, you probably know all about that.

Michael

Michael and others,

Be good to Klipschguy, as he was kind enough to send me a pair of Radio Shack drivers for a project and wouldn't accept payment. I still listen to them almost daily.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about electric bass guitars. I do like Michael's advice. My son was looking for an electric guitar (not bass). We were advised to buy the best used guitar that he could afford. He disregarded that advice and bought a cheap new guitar, which he soon regretted. Eventually, he took my advice and bought a good used guitar, which he was later able to re-sell for what he had into it. The new guitar was a total loss.

My hands are reasonably large (size eight). Country music is my favorite music and will consume much of my focus, although I also enjoy good ole rock and roll. Jazz interests me also, but mostly in phases.

Get the Fender Precision. Big round, bottomy sound, it's a favorite of guys who use fingers on the strings. It can also be picked for a more trebly sound.

If you're into the more 'pop' country and rock, perhaps a Rickenbacker, but it will have a more forward punchy sound, depending on the strings used and playing style.

I don't know too much abou the newer breeds, sorry. Perhaps Yamaha?

Michael

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Then there's the bass amp...

If you want a quality bass that is low in price, I would look at an Ibanez.

At or above the $500 mark, it would be Yamaha or Fender Precision or Jazz models, IMO.

I actually like Peavey, too as an alternative to an Ibanez for the low cost.

DM

If it were me, I would buy a new Fender Precision. You absolutely can't go wrong there for an all-around package. It's probably THE most popular bass out there, and has been for years.

Get the "American" version as it will have the highest resale. I would not imagine that you would ever loose money on that one.

DM

My son started with a Yamaha he saved his money for. It served him well. He now has a Fender Precision that he bought used. Looks like ... sounds great. Here's a new Precision from Elderly:

http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/F50SPB.htm

The better models are around $1300 new.

The tone changes with age as well. He also has a Godin A5 fretless with piezos in it that is just awesome.

There are a lot of good basses out there. Low cost doesn't mean it's bad.

Where's all the bass players on here? I know there are some.

Bruce

That seems a little steep to me... Here's some new Fenders.

Granted,

most are the Mexican variety; but what I hear is that they are all made

in Mexico, even the so-called "American" ones. They just don't say

"made in Mexico" on them. How's that for manipulating the market?

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--k-ABG11--a-F--b-21.html

DM

Sad, But True ...

I wouldn't Buy a New ... Fender anything

the Contra opinion , here ...

find a used Fender Musicmaster bass, or a LP Recording bass ..

they Both have a Distinct personality, from the "P-Bass " sound, not that it's Bad, but .. why Copy ...

the only 2 i have kept for 30+ years ..

the others..... gone down the road ...