RF-7s versus Denon receiver

lo123

... However, more often than not a receiver will simply not do what a separate amplifier will. There are those who do their own research and arrive at the conclusion that Bose makes the best sounding speaker on the market. However, that statement is a fallacy as Bose speakers do not reproduce source material in at various frequencies. Yes, they may sound good to you, but they just can't do what other speakers can. If you are happy with your RF-7s and a receiver then by all means enjoy your system. My point is that, in my experience, most receivers will not take the RF-7s to their capacity.

David

I agree that more amplification will take the Rf-7's to their capacity. I disagree that the research I did in coming to my conclusion equates to your Bose analogy. Of course this discussion is not what lo123 was asking about.

The car analogy is closer to buying a Vette and the use of a 4 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder will get you there, but it is a different experience with a big V-8.

Bill

It should be more of a comparison between a vette and an economy car. Not all 4 cylinders are made equal. If we're talking a Suburu wrx sti the experience is quite thrilling.

back on topic now[:D]

... However, more often than not a receiver will simply not do what a separate amplifier will. There are those who do their own research and arrive at the conclusion that Bose makes the best sounding speaker on the market. However, that statement is a fallacy as Bose speakers do not reproduce source material in at various frequencies. Yes, they may sound good to you, but they just can't do what other speakers can. If you are happy with your RF-7s and a receiver then by all means enjoy your system. My point is that, in my experience, most receivers will not take the RF-7s to their capacity.

David

I agree that more amplification will take the Rf-7's to their capacity. I disagree that the research I did in coming to my conclusion equates to your Bose analogy. Of course this discussion is not what lo123 was asking about.

tkdamerica,

While my post was certainly not directed at you, I fail to see the flaw in the analogy. Don't misunderstand-I am not saying that there is anything at all wrong with your system or your happiness with it. To each his own. Live and let live. I am saying that separate amplification will bring the RF-7s to a whole new level. With this, you agree. lo123 was asking if anyone has had a receiver similar to his. I have and posted my experience for him. Seems like that would be helpful.

David

The car analogy is closer to buying a Vette and the use of a 4 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder will get you there, but it is a different experience with a big V-8.

Bill

It should be more of a comparison between a vette and an economy car. Not all 4 cylinders are made equal. If we're talking a Suburu wrx sti the experience is quite thrilling.

back on topic now[:D]

Then I think we should equate the Vette and the Suburu wrx for our comparison with my Home Theater and the difference a 200 watt amp would make. [;)] My last comment on this thread is that I am not arguing quality power cannot make a difference in how the RF-7's respond or sound--I'm sure it can. What I am saying is that My Denon 4802R THX Ultra 2 receiver is awesome and I don't experience any the ill effects (i.e., shutting down or high frequencies sounding bad at high volumes) that Mr. Mcgoo mentions. IMO, if lo123 gets what he is contemplating he will be happy [:)]

David

tkdamerica,

While my post was certainly not directed at you, I fail to see the flaw in the analogy. Don't misunderstand-I am not saying that there is anything at all wrong with your system or your happiness with it. To each his own. Live and let live. I am saying that separate amplification will bring the RF-7s to a whole new level. With this, you agree. lo123 was asking if anyone has had a receiver similar to his. I have and posted my experience for him. Seems like that would be helpful.

David

dkp,

If this statement wasn't directed at me maybe I over reacted. I mentioned my research earlier in the thread and I guess that's what threw me. [;)] I think the difference in the RF-7's and the Bose speakers you are referring is considerably different than the upgrade from my Denon to a 200 wpc amp. Then again if you feel like it's not I can live with my sub par set up. [:)] Now THIS is my last response for the evening. I have to go damage my ears with some Sarah McLachlan (and my liver with a few Belhavens) [H]

The original poster has either a Denon 1805 or a 1605 which is VERY different than a 4802R that is THX Ultra2 certified. They have very different power supplies and a large difference in weight.

I have powered my RF-7s with an Ultra2 receiver from a different manufacturer. They get by ok, but lack true high current capability. The RF-7s need high current, whether it is from a tube amp, a high current separate amp or one of the few high current receivers.

Bill

Thanks everyone for the inputs, final analysis on my end for now was to

hold with the RF-35 matched system and the Denon 1804. It is

entirely adequate to my ears with my existing system. Everything

(speakers) match and it's all paid for! I am still

concerned with the RF-7s regarding the amp power versus the

low impedance drive, but final straw was timing, crazy holiday season,

extra stress at home with unplanned major audio purchase, you get the

picture.

If/when I do move to the larger reference speakers it will be with a

more powerful amp. Heck of a deal on those RF-7s,

though.

Sub decision is still pending, may be easier to work on the home front

since I have laid some groundwork for that addition. Thanks again

for the responses.

Larry,

A good subwoofer will make a big difference in your system. The sub will work with speaker upgrades as long as you do not skimp too much. In the Klipsch line, the Sub-12, RSW-12, RSW-15 and THX Ultra2 subs are the best buys from least to most expensive. SVS also mkes good subwoofers. The Sub-12 may be one of the best bang for the buck subs out there.

TheEar is the resident subwoofer guru in the subwoofer forum. He has subwoofer sickness, but knows subs inside out.

Bill

I vote for having a good subwoofer....I know it will make a world of difference for movies to say the least!

When I eventually end up with a good quality amp that provides the 7's with enough bass I would like to get by without a sub so I can regain some needed living room real estate. For now the difference in having or not having a sub is "oh-so-obvious".

Horrible Combination, and Horrible price (1500.00) for the pair, okay

not horrible price but pretty normal and nothing great. I have owned

several combos with 7's they are definatly not an easy to run 2 channel

speaker, but with subs and surround sound are excellent, and would work

okay with denon in this case, thats as far as I will go.