EAR- HOW MANY SUB

ken kaz

TheEAR came home to see the charges of ASSAULT charges laid by some goody two shoes junior members in another thread. LOL(and I mean it LOL)

To start with Klipsch RSW10,Klipsch RSW12,Klipsch RSW15...

Revel B15,Velodyne HGS18,Velodyne SPL1000,Aerial SW12,Polk Audio 404,Polk Audio 505,Paradigm UltraCube,Carver KS,Reel RSW810,Reel RSW1012

Not many,sold my three Sunfires(Jr,Mark II and Sig.)...to buy the new versions in 2006 [:D]

On standby Klipsch THX(twins with amp),SVS PB2-Ultra...I have to finally put aside by anti net purchase habbits and get some SVS [:P]

Arthur,

Maybe I'm way off base here, but why don't you just quit screwing around with having a dozen subs, forget the THX subs, sell the pile subs you have now, and just get the Krell Master Refrence. I have a hard time believeing that it wouldn't satisty anyone's need for the low frequencies, plus the thing is sweet. Just my 2 cents.

ear

Let me get this striaght. Do you have all these subs connected at once in one room? (and why? are you a bass freak, deaf, or live in a 100X100 room with a 20 ft ceiling?)

What is your method of calibrating multiple subs?

I have a SVS PB ultra 2. Im thinking abotu adding a CS ultra (driven with a carver amp) and trying to figure out how to calibrate it.

kaz

Arthur,

Maybe I'm way off base here, but why don't you just quit screwing

around with having a dozen subs, forget the THX subs, sell the pile

subs you have now, and just get the Krell Master Refrence.

I have a hard time believeing that it wouldn't satisty anyone's need

for the low frequencies, plus the thing is sweet. Just my 2

cents.

Rather then wasting.. Yes I said wasting his money on that Krell Master

Reference, he should have the knowledge by now to built the world's

best DIY subwoofer.

First off, you don't need that many subs running at once:

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003.0

Going beyond 4 is just a waste because you no longer have any room

loading benefits (page 28). So as long as they're operating in their

liner region, then there is no need for additional subs. Btw, every

doubling of subwoofers yields a 3dB gain. So 4 subwoofers is only 6dB

louder than 1 sub. And 8 subs is only 9dB louder than 1 sub. (when

colocated you might achieve a gain of 6dB...going from 2 to 4 subs

would yield more like 4.5dB when colocated - the extra gain is due to

each driver seeing a smaller space in front).

Secondly, you are limited by the weakest link. There will be one sub

that will go lower than the rest....Adding more subs that don't go as

low only boosts frequencies in their range. This effectively makes the

lower notes that only the one sub can handle relatively quieter. Since

the lower notes are much harder to reproduce than higher frequencies,

there is no advantage to decreasing the load at the upper frequencies.

The different behavior between different drivers implies two things: 1,

each subwoofer type will have different distortion patterns and since

distortion is additive, it will be percieved as a reduction in quality.

2, Each subwoofer will also have their own jagged frequency response.

This prevents perfect coupling to occur between all the subs, which

reduces the ideal 3 or 6dB gain Also, when the outputs are summed

you end up with a more jagged frequency response.

And lastly, you would need to have processing available to time-align

all the drivers as they will very likely be located in different places

throughout the room. A difference of a few feet here and there will

wreak havoc at frequencies in the range of 50Hz and above.

So anyways, the ideal situation would be to find a single configuration

that goes as low as you need it to and then add more units to load the

room better and to achieve the max SPL you wish to achieve.

(for a more dramatic experiment....have you ever taken two different

full range speakers and placed them side by side? this would be a more

dramatic example of what it's like to have multiple different subs

running).

First

I do not buy these subs to make them all work at once.My fun is to buy them,test them and see how many I can make sound great in one system.

If I wanted maximum SPL or depth I would get the most powerful and expensive two subs I can afford and buy dual monster subs.My fun is to buy mostly small subs,why...BECAUSE they take less space and I can pile a bunch.

And all Dr WHO said is true anmd I know this well,I will make for example combinations of subs that work great in combination.The results are more than good.

Like when I buy amps,do you seriously tink they are all used at one time [:P] not. And now the tube bug bit me,I will be buying tube amps for the next year or so.This time I am going BIG,Tenor Audio and BAT. Why,BEACUSE they are unlike all my solid state and I can experiment.

Why am I in audio,because I love music and audio gear and the many aproaches to get to sonic bliss.

Like I started this year buying RC nitro and electric cars and trucks,why? The bug bit me and now I have over twenty! When I get into any hobby it is in grand style and overkill [:P]

So the bottom line with subs,I buy them test them and add some to onesystem and others to my other system,the less potent join my PC audio systems.

Ah, such is the life of a man unhitched. If there exsts such a woman to appreciate these things then such a woman is surely a man.

In my younger years travel was my hobby. Tens of thousands of dollars visiting all the big American cities and enough alcohol to stun an elephant. Nowadays my wife would say, "You spent how much on that?" then promptly leave me for a responsible man.

Nothing against the single life. It would be a rush to do it again. My brother still indulges in this style. His fix is stuffing as much audio equipment into one car as he possibly can.

With a family now, my hobbies must include moderation:

Entire garage full of construction equipment? Nope...table saw, circular, jig and a drill.

Mercedes cl? Nope...4 door sedan

Klipschorn/Krell 9.1 surround system? Nope...see signature.

You get the idea ;)

i'm 99.9999% sure if you summed up all of theears subwoofers, they would whipe the floor with that krell master reference. Its only two 15" woofers. Physics is physics, they just will not be NEAR the spl all his subs put together. Of course, he does have a lot of phase issues when dealing with many subs, but if they are all equal distance from one seat, they will be in near phase as long as the room acoustics arent too bad.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

this entire argument is asinine to begin with. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I wouldnt even put my money on the MRS one way or another even for depth.

Sure its certainly more linear than the rest put together, but constructive interference can even make a weak 20hz tone pretty darn significant.

Point is, who cares. The MRS is 20k or something like that, Christ.. And he doest use all his subs together. Its his hobby and Id speculate one day he will have all the subs he still has + the mrs.

First of the Krell MRS uses two 15" woofers,in a sealed enclosure.Each woofer is said to have a 3" piston travel capability,lets say it is 3" linear.There is no way this subwoofer produces higher SPL than four of my most potent subs...NO WAY.

My HGS18,SW12,B15 alone outpace the MRS with ease.The MRS is very costly as its cabinet and amp are pure overkill and made in very small numbers.And the MRS is around 30 grand,who needs this? I better buy a Wilson Watch DOG,dual PB2-Ultra and a few other subs first.And maybe even go IB using a few 18" .

Sorry but when a sub costs over 20 grand it better have a response of 10-80Hz ,linearity of +-1dB

at full output and capable of 125dB( with minimal distortion) at listening position in a closed 14*20*8 room with ease.And the MRS is not close.

First of the Krell MRS uses two 15" woofers,in a

sealed enclosure.Each woofer is said to have a 3" piston travel

capability,lets say it is 3" linear.There is no way this subwoofer

produces higher SPL than four of my most potent subs...NO WAY.

My

HGS18,SW12,B15 alone outpace the MRS with ease.The MRS is very costly

as its cabinet and amp are pure overkill and made in very small

numbers.And the MRS is around 30 grand,who needs this? I better buy a

Wilson Watch DOG,dual PB2-Ultra and a few other subs first.And maybe

even go IB using a few 18" .

Sorry but when a sub costs over 20 grand it better have a response of 10-80Hz ,linearity of +-1dB

at

full output and capable of 125dB( with minimal distortion) at listening

position in a closed 14*20*8 room with ease.And the MRS is not

close.

Owned by TheEAR :)