Speakerlab Bass Bin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The seller told me that this is a later version where the mid and hf drivers are in the "front" of th espeaker and it is shorter than a K horn."

It uses the Audax PR17 as a mid, 100dB/W.

The foam edge will be shot, but no one sells the flat foam edge for these. New units are available, the paper coned B&C look to be the better of the many available.

These were the speakerlab plans that I used to build my khorns replicas. I didn't mount the audax and t-35 in front of the enclosure but built separate boxes on top to allow rotating them slightly, etc. One thing I never did find about was the ability to adjust the bass response via the crossover with a potentiometer. By doing away with the tailboard and added sides of the khorn the speaker fills the corner less. I have experimented with sealing the top to the corner and adding a tailboard but didn't really notice any response difference and concluded the khorn had a lot of unnecessary appendages. Perhaps PWK never thought about the savings from this move. My Audax foam surrounds are doing just fine and they are probably about 20 yrs old. but I don't abuse them either with weather extremes, humidity, etc. that a professional PA system would be subjected to. One can move the speakers further toward the corner, away from the corner, etc. and evaluate the response but to measuring the low end, not much happens but differences may appear in the 2-400hz range. If I had to do it again, I would build some LaScalas instead and run a subwoofer. I really like the looks of the LaScala but they would take up more space than the "mini" khorns I have.

I picked up the Speakerlab's today. Factory built Speakerlab's purchased in 1983. Bought from their original owner. Got them for $300. Man, the Speakerlab name just does not go that far. K Horns in teh same condition would be at least $2500.

Chris

PS - this means that my K Horns factory finished in Tigerwood are up for sale.

Bruce, if he's anything like me, here's my reasoning:

Usable corners are in short supply, so keeping 2 pairs is probably a not-too-good idea.

Most importantly, I would NEVER hack up a nice pair of Klipschorns with severe or unreversable modifications; this would just be a waste, and lower the overall resale. You are therefore limited to merely upgrading components without causing harm, in other words.

However, a pair of SL's could be hacked and modified incessantly, and you aren't going to harm the resale!

Here is a pic of the "style" of SL-K that I am familiar with... your basic not-as-pretty as the real Klipschorn by any means, but the bass bin is a true knock-off with a couple of nice mods already in it (reinforced BC walls and some insulation) along with a good horn driver.

DM

post-13458-13819276471264_thumb.jpg

I picked up a Speakerlab K Horn pair this year identical to the photo of the walnut ones. They had the EV T350's in them. They sounded fantastic and the bass whalloped even without corners! I got them for like $350 and sold them to my wife's friend that lives nearby for $500 for her downstairs game room. The network in them was el cheapo I bet with a nice network they would have sounded quite a bit better. I have nice photos of them at home still.

I think that they are a great speaker and can be had on the cheap.

I agree! They are needlessly under-rated by the Klipsch crowd, and are a great source of components, too.

They caused enough of a stir in their time that PWK even wrote about them (nothing good of course, but then, what was he going to say?). They should not be discounted - especially by DIYers.

DM

Chris,

Just the schematic. I collect horn plans and if available, their crossover schematics. I already replaced my crossovers with ALK's A. I posted some pictures of them in DeanG's "Hey Al" thread, you may want to take a peek. I did some mods in the construction. I also used one of the ALK's A in my University Classic. But like I said, no rush. When you decide to hack up your SK's and their crossovers, and you can get the schematic, then that's the time. If you can't get to it, that's ok, too. Like I said, it is low priority. Don't let that bother you.

Some of us would like to see some pictures of your "new" system, before you hack it up.

Armando