Vintage Crown Equipment

Dirk Diggler

My first "good" stereo had a Crown D-60 (which I still have) and an IC150 (long gone, no regrets), and later much more Crown equipment which I still have except for the DC300A. The IC150 preamp was, as Duke implied, "ICY". To this day I wish had bought the Audio Research SP3 at more than twice the price, but like so many other people back then, I was influenced by the IC150's specs. The DC300 is probably the most reliable amplifier ever made, and like the Klipschorn, set the standard for being the only amplifier in continuous production for decades. Anyone who says the DC300 was/is unreliable needs to have their head examined! This is an amplfier that you could drop from an airplane at 10,000 feet into lake, retrieve it weeks later, take some 12 gauge wire, strip it, connect it to both outputs, tie the wires together, run a radio frequency at full gain into the inputs, come back two weeks later, replace the stripped speaker wire & hook it up to your speakers and everything will be just fine. Think I'm exaggerating? There's one company that's actually using these for some kind of arc welding application. Now, whether or not one would consider this sort of a conflict of interest (with audiophile values) is another matter which I'll leave up to you. I use Crown gear everyday, BUT, is does NOT hold a candle (sonically) to my tube gear (which are in fact much quieter than the Crown, regardless of what their specs and measurements say)

Too bad you can't read.

I was authorized Crown sales and service, you don't have a clue.

To re-cap:

"The DC300 was a huge POS"

Why?

"the much more reliable DC300A had twice the number of output transistors"

What did the Crown service manual for the DC300 actually say on the front?

"300 WATTS AND A CLOUD OF SMOKE"

Basic Service Suggestions for the CROWN DC-300 Amplifier

You only live about fours away from me, drive over and I will show you my broken pile of Crown that aren't worth repairing (and my Crown service manuals, including the one mentioned above)!

DISCLAIMER: Any one who is intolerant or offended by completely open and honest arrogance backed by historical and documented facts, please dont read this.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

djk.Oh WOW. Im so impressed!...YOU were an Crown authorized sales and service rep! I guess that really means something (to you). "300 WATTS AND A CLOUD OF SMOKE" doesnt mean that the DC300 was a POS anymore than some idiot who think its necessary to hang a 300 watt stove on a Khorn and then thinks the Khorn is a POS because they keep blowing any one of the drivers (see Klipsch Dope From Hope Vol. 7 no. 5 Blown Tweeters, or Vol. 8 no. 1 Guarantee Void, or Vol. 13 no. 2 Speaker Destruction). As with many audio manufacturers back then, much of their service manual and marketing jargon were tongue-in-cheek (popular at the time), and the Crown DC300 service manual was no exception. Apparently you think you can dupe some of us into believing otherwise. Just so there is no lingering doubt, Im posting a link to the very service manual you speak of so everyone can see for themselves that 300 WATTS AND A CLOUD OF SMOKE does NOT imply that the Crown DC300 is a POS as you stated.

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/dc300-sm.pdf

A quick read of the first few pages should make it clear to anyone with any modicum of intelligence and even a remedial sense of humor that the title of this service manual is tongue-in-cheek (as were later Crown service and owners manuals) (its a theme- get it? A theme). Certainly Crown is NOT making the same statement that you seem to have concluded they have. You will also note that on page four, the manual you speak of applies only to certain early units (A2048 or prior). Page five continues with more tongue-in-cheek humor in discussing potential DC300 problems and how to deal with them. Perhaps its YOU who has never read this service manual. Humor, its a difficult concept for some.

The fact of the matter is you can pretty much destroy anything given the right conditions. And the fact of the matter is the Crown DC300 was the first high powered audio transistor amplifier. And as such, like any other cutting (bleeding) edge product of its time, it went through some evolution. All Crown equipment for the most part have been built like bricks*** houses and reliability was/is their forte, the DC 300 was no exception. If this werent true, there wouldnt be so many of them still in service after almost four decades! This fact alone refutes anything youve said regarding their reliability. Your opinion is obviously biased, based on your own misinterpretation of the service manual title, and apparently not having read any further than the title page, and is quite wrong. History tells us so.

Having played pro/semi-pro for decades, I have plenty of friends in the pro audio business, service, repair & rental. Some are Crown authorized. Just for the hell of it I gave some of them a call and asked their opinion. Not one them agree with you djk. So obviously youre the one who cant (or did not) read the service manual. And maybe that non-functional pile of Crown gear you have laying around is because you dont know how to fix them properly if at all! And maybe thats why you WERE an authorized Crown sales and service rep. LMFAO.

Please, do yourself a favor. Never attempt to argue with me. I can see though bias and ignorance with ease, and I will use it against you. I apparenlty know far more about this subject than you do. And even if I dont, I can argue much better than you can, and I provide the documentation to backup what I say. If you want to get into a pissing contest, thats fine by me. But please email me so we dont have to bore all the other Forum members with our unremarkable bull****.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...