DizRotus is in da house: Picky's That is!

picky

DizRotus and I just spent a fun evening together at the suggestion of Michael Colter (colterphoto1) who has visited our humble little house in the past as well. My wife and I met Diz at the door and we drove together over to a local corner bar named Dunleavey's, where they serve one heck of a bar burger. We had a great time getting to know one another. As it turns out, we both know some of the same local people. Small world! The burgers were great and we had a couple of Killian's (The Guiness Stout was out! DRAT!!).

After dinner, we went back to the house and descended the steps down to our Small House Theater. Diz wanted a sampling of demos that I normally run for first-time guests, so I dug out numerous DVDs. Among them were as follows:

'Super Speedway' (Mario and Michael Andretti) - Scene 7

'Master and Commander' - Attack Scene

'Behind Enemy Lines' - Christmas Recon Scene

'Open Range' - Gunfight Begins Scene

'Finding Nemo' - The Abyss Scene (Sub-slide)

'Heart: Alive in Seattle' - Crazy on you, Straight on

'Animusic 2' - Scene 1, Pipe Dream, Gyro Drums

I demostrated HDTV

Diz is a really nice guy and very knowledgable in the sound arena. He mentioned that he liked our room and system a great deal. It was wonderful spending the evening with him and getting to know him and discussing audio. He doesn't live that far from our place so we hope to be getting together again, maybe to see his setup next.

Hey, Diz: You are welcome back here any time! Thanks for stopping by! [;)]

Always great to hear Klipsch brothers gettin together. I had met both of you guys individually and knew you were fairly close geographically and from an audio standpoint. Glad you had a good time together. Picky is great at demoing his system, he know's just what to put in to keep you interested, show off his system and room, and pin you to your Berkliner!

Hope you enjoyed the visit Diz! You did a great job on those LS for the HS group. With both of you guys being in the PA/DJ business as young men, I'm sure there was plenty to talk about.

Picky, remind me to get one of those burgers next time I'm up there! Or maybe it'll be in the summer and we can enjoy the Picky-BBQ and Garage Heresies!

Get making some nice soft covers to keep those babies mint, will ya?

Michael

Picky,

Great to have someone over who appreciates the system.

Knowing you do video editing, download the film Climb Dance, an award

winning film from 89 about a Pike's Peak rally race. It's only a

320x240 video, but the editing it great. You'll like it.

http://www.geocities.com/nosro/climbdance/

The links to download are at the bottom of the page. If I remember

corerectly, the first link is no good. It's also about 70 meg, but well

worth the rush of watching this film.

Bruce

Glenn,

My gratitude to you and your wife for a very pleasant evening. Michael Colter was right; your home theater is phenomenal.

Those cannon shots from Master and Commander are still reverberating in my head. Now I've got to figure a way to characterize the purchase of an HD HT as a business expense.

Glenn you have the patience of Job. There is no way that I could let those new Heresy speakers stay in the boxes unplayed for months. Had I known, I'd have brought my backup H/K 630 and we could've rocked the neighborhood. We could've listened to them from your garage while we were dining at Dunleavey's.

I look forward to our next meeting. Let me know the next time you go to Almas Hi-Fi, The Grammaphone or are in or around Birmingham for any reason.

It was an evening to remember.

Glenn,

Is Dunleavey's the little neighborhood pub when you turn off the main road onto your street? I made note of that place when I drove up there last winter. Looks like it's served generations of auto workers in the area. A real fixture of a spot. Bet that is some great food there...

Michael

Neil: Thank you so much for your kind words. It was my pleasure to talk to such a diverse person such as yourself. It was nice to talk to someone who understands audio so well and that has also worked in numerous professions over the years (such as I) and who has remained prosperous doing so. You are an inspiration for me as I begin to look for a career outside the auto industry, which has been somewhat of a "comfortable haven" for me all these years. Those days of life-long careers appear to be over in most areas of work. I suppose it just took longer to whittle away at automotive. At any rate, as I press ahead, I will remember from you that it is never too late to begin anew. Thank you for that. I have you r number. I'll be sure to give you a ring next time where on your side of town. Thanks!

Bruce: Wow! Cool video indeed! It's actually about 8 megabytes, which is not so bad to download with broadband. The driving is amazing as is that 4WD/4W Steer Peugeot's capabilities on those roads. The driver's speeds were a bit over the top of what I expected and I can only attribute that to his exceptional skill and the car's ability. Amazing! I agree, the editing on the piece was very slick. Thanks for pointing this one out to me, Bruce!

Michael: Thanks for the good words too, my friend. Yes, the bar you mentioned seeing is Dunleavey's Pub. It's a little green brick building and back in the day, when it was called "Maury's Bar", it was one of the places the blue collars from the Ford Rouge plant used to hang out in on Friday nights to cash their paychecks, have a bar burger or fish fry and throw back a few "schupers" (goblets) of beer. Friday nights there are still mighty loud, but now it's mostly office workers unwinding. The shupers are gone, but now you can order a pint. The bar's name went from "Maury's" to "O'Hannon's" and finally Dunleavey's". It is owned by Brian Dunleavey, whose deceased father (I believe his name was John) was famous for his own Dunleavey's Pub in downtown Detroit. I think there are still one or two other pubs around Metro Detroit still in the family (owned by brothers). My wife like to go there because I practically grew up in the place. As a kid, my dad would take my mom and I there on Friday's for the fish fry. It was a huge sport's figure hang-out too. The old sign outside used to say "World-Famous Ground Rounds". Back then, the players from the lions, Tigers and Red Wings would stop for a ground round on their way out to Metro airport. My dad introduced me to many players who knew him by name: (Lions): Ray Lane, Alex Karras (Red Wings): Terry Sawchuck, Gordie Howe, Frank Mahovilich, (Tigers): Norman Cash, Al Kaline, Bill Freehand, Jake Wood, Denny McLain and others. The players also used to hang out at the Lindell AC (Athletic Club) Bar near Tiger Stadium, which was Briggs Stadium back then. It was owned by Alex Karras for a time.

We also enjoy going to the Speedboat Bar over on the Detroit River in Wyandotte. It's a little hole-in-the-wall that has a real old wooden, Chris Craft speedboat sticking out of its roof! Not surprisingly, inside the place has a nautical theme and an unbelievable menu that includes Prime Rib for $10 bucks on Saturdays and award-winning, beanless "Thunder Wake" chili. It's won the Michigan State Chili cook-off numerous times. They also feature the "Speedboat Burger" topped with gorgonzola cheese and bacon and their "Swine Burger" topped with their chili.

I have a good friend that was our lead singer in our band years ago. He owns an upholstery shop and I am going to ask him to make some soft covers for my Heresy III's. I plan to start a thread in the spring to ask everyone on the forum who's interested, to come to our BBQ. If I do that now, most will probably forget about it by then. I hope to buy a tube amp for them around that time, too.

Daddy Dee: Sorry for my confusion: Were you referring to my place or Michael's when you mentioned Indy? If so, sorry. I live near Detroit, but you are still welcome. Michael lives in Indy.