Altec help please

ricktate

Im helping a buddy at work with his Altec pro..no model name but i think it has 511-B horn but the driver has no markings on it.The crossover has 2 headphone type jacks for inputs and a adjusting knob number on the crossover plate is 1234c.I could use a crossover schematic or a new design for it,,,crossover points would be good to.I dont know much about Altecs and i cant find anything at the Altec site.It also looks like the two jacks for inputs change the crossover points.Thanks for any help guys.Rick

That's an old PA speaker, not very hi-fi.

It used the 421 woofer, more of a guitar speaker than a real woofer.

The 1/4" jacks are the input and are connected in parallel. and are guitar type, not headphone type.

The crossover is a plain Jane 12dB type at 1200hz for the 511B horn and 808 driver.

The 808 needs a tweeter for hi-fi use as it has the Kapton edge that soaks up all the sparkle in exchange for ruggedness.

If you want a hi-fi speaker:

Ditch the 421 and get a 416 woofer, buy a 802 diaphragm, build yourself an Altec 19.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id7.html

Ditto on the Lansing heritage site. The

folks there have been a tremedous help to me over time. Remember,

just like here there are quite a few there that are completely

convinced of their rightness and clearly let you know it.

They were a great help when I built these JBL

Are those a specific JBL model or a custom system you built?

Bruce

ps I have my eye on a set of 1233 model Altecs at a local pawn shop.

Mint condition, and they've been there a long time now. I'm just

waiting till I have some cash and will make an offer to them to take

them off their hands. The 1233 is a bit shorter that the ones mentioned

earlier. Same drivers, so I would need to do some upgrades on them,

unless I just use them for PA work, which is not often but does happen.

The 1233 is the very top cab and the 1234 is in the bottom right:

post-7149-13819276606002_thumb.jpg

Don't head down the road to Altec land we will never see you again on this forum[:D] All kidding aside JBL, Altec and Klipsch make some fantastic horn speakers. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I like your humor Dylanl.

But, to make you feel better. I started with Altecs and have added to my system with Klipsch.

Why, you ask?

It was just too much trouble to try to match up my two Valencias with a center channel and surrounds.

I have not been dissapointed. The Klipsch speakers keep up with the Altecs and may outperform them on the base end. May not be a fair match since it is six speakers against two, but it does say something about both mfgs.

I should be around to on this forum for a while despite the Altecs.

Happy Holidays and long live the horn!!!!

Ditto on the Lansing heritage site. The folks there have been a tremedous help to me over time. Remember, just like here there are quite a few there that are completely convinced of their rightness and clearly let you know it.

Bruce

ps I have my eye on a set of 1233 model Altecs at a local pawn shop. Mint condition, and they've been there a long time now. I'm just waiting till I have some cash and will make an offer to them to take them off their hands. The 1233 is a bit shorter that the ones mentioned earlier. Same drivers, so I would need to do some upgrades on them, unless I just use them for PA work, which is not often but does happen.

The 1233 is the very top cab and the 1234 is in the bottom right:

Bruce, there was an estate sale in Dayton Ohio that had I think the 1233 or 1234 cabinets, looked like there was woodgrain vinyl on the top portion, Arent these the ones with rollers on the back and the big grab bar for hauling around? They had some tears on the vinyl, but they only wanted $300/pr. I could look them up if you wanted. I 'contacted seller' on ebay when they were up, think they were going to a local auction house because no one bid on them.

EDIT sorry, I checked, they are the 1202's. Think they'd have the 811B horn, right? Little bro of the 1234?

Michael

post-10755-13819276633782_thumb.jpg

The 1202 is a few years earlier model with a different woofer. The 1234

uses the same woofer (421) as the 1233 but has the 511B horn.

I don't need them at all. Would be easier to move around than the

Yamaha cabinets I have in my barn though. EDIT: I take that back. The

1233 and the Yamaha cabinets are each right at 112 pounds. No wonder

the pawn shop hasn't sold them. Most guys don't want to be moving

things that heavy.

Bruce

Ditto on the Lansing heritage site. The folks there have been a tremedous help to me over time. Remember, just like here there are quite a few there that are completely convinced of their rightness and clearly let you know it.

Custom built - I believe the model most like them was a 4333a/b studio monitor. I, at one time, actually saw a better fit, but that will have to do. It is the same three way concept with some newer components.

It is a 2225 15" in a separate bottom enclosure tuned to 40hz, the top section has a 2425 mated to a 2370 horn for the mid and a 2404 baby cheeks for the high freqs. I used a 3110 network for the low frequencey Xover and a 3105 for the HF Xover. I had to get reasonable good short to medium throw out of the lens.

The woofs were reconed 2205s - and they are very nice (after the breakin) as well as the 2404. I very much like the sound - it is so very much like a cornwall with a very smooth bass and UHF. They are my favorite speakers (currently).