Leak Stereo 20 - converting 220v to 120v operation

Woodog

I posted a while back about a friend that got a bunch of old audio equipment, tubes, amps, and just *stuff*...

In the bunch was a cosmetically beautiful Leak 20 which I told him he should sell on Ebay or offer here, but he has done neither. He is something of a packrat but not interested in audio stuff as much as ,..... well.... ME.

I'm thinking about 'borrowing' the amp to listen to, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to mod it to work on 120 volt current. It is currently wired for 220, I'm fairly sure.

Doable? Worth the effort for something that would technically not be 'mine' but which I could probably keep and enjoy for years.

Woo

It may already be wired for 110-120, which would make it easier. If you

knew the current rating, the easiest way would be to get a proper

stepup transformer.

Who was it that was moving back to Israel? I though he had a Leak, and could probably help out.

Bruce

It most probably can be rewired for 120 volts. It would take a competent tech.

Most power transformers have two primary winding. They each want 120 volts. In 120 use they are wired in parallel, so each get the same voltage. In 240 applications the same two are wired in series and get half the applied (240) voltage.

I agree that an easier way of doing this is an outboard step up transformer which is used for applications like this. They have a US style plug to put in the wall and a socket which takes the European plug, which looks a bit like a dual banana plug.

BTW, the European regulators have banned banana plugs on speaker because they resemble the a.c. power mains connection.

Gil

They don't call him Marvel for nothing.

The series - parallel thing is still true in many cases. The schematic which Marvel has provided shows various taps on the primary. Per his suggestion, obviously you should look for a switch.

Sorry about that Chief.

Gil

Yup if the schematic is for the version your buddy has there should be a switch. If not I would bet the transformer at least has the proper taps to make it 120V compatible. If you can borrow this amp I suggest you do so! It's a real nicely designed all triode front end EL84 amplifier and should sound very good.

Craig

Although it does look like there may be two different versions, one

with the British transformer and one with an American transformer, with

appropriate taps for each. Just have to get a good look at it. The

schematic will be good to have anyway.

Bruce

I have been watching Leak amps on ebay for a couple months now. I have

bid on a few that have been in the US but have not won yet. I was

hoping people in the US wouldn't know what it was. The Leak 20 is

regarded by many as the finest Leak amp.