Another RSW post

brennyE

Although I was originally thinking of getting an rw-12, my mind has started to shift towards a rsw-12 (the only rsw model we can get in australia) Now I wanted to know if the rsw would be overkill for my rf-15's (which will eventually be upgraded when money permits) and I was wondering if it needed to be in a medium to large room to sound best ( because if I do buy it, it will go into my smallish bedroom)

and one last thing, I have no free corner in my room to speak of (unless I do some serious moving) so if it went into my bedroom it would be backed against the wall with the passive about say 4 inches from the wall, so I wanted to know how it would sound in that position.

PS: No audio shop stocks the rsw-12 where I live so I cant listen before I buy, they say the only way they can order one in is if I say ill buy it....

Thanks in Advance!

within reason, there is really no such thing as overkill when it comes to a sub. it has a level adjustment knob.

the passive radiator is on the front, not the back. the active driver is on the back. so 4" is about as close as you'd want to put it to a wall; certainly no less than that, preferably more, probably. some people run them backwards with the normally rear-facing active driver facing forward.

I could not hear a difference from the RW 12 to the RSW 12 at all, pricewise i went with the RW12 same reason as you (building a small setup for my bedroom). I did underestimate the size of that thing, i hardly managed to to find a suitable place for it, and the bass... simply stunning for a bedroom.. it will definitely rock you... as for the RSW 12 i'm am sure it will too.. for me the RSW was just better finish/wood. On the other hand, you cannot compare the sound of the rw12 to my Sunfire Sig eq, i tried it in the bedroom, and it rattled everything... the size is perfect.. but the price.. specially in Australia.. $5500.. so it goes back in the HT.

personally, i think that the rsw12 is in a whole other league than the rw12. no comparison. personally being the operative word here, of course.

it comes down to how discerning you're going to be about the bass in your bedroom and how much you're willing to spend.

if the cost is less important, then the rsw12 over the rw12. easily.

ok i went into my audio dealer yesterday and asked salesperson if he could kindly give me another listen to the rw-12 (as last demo he barely would turn it up) It is in a fairly large room and in the middle of the wall (not in the corner) the sub performed well, but not quite as loud as I hoped, although I realise my room acoustics are very different ie half the size and sub placed in corner[:)] so although I would be happy with the rw-12, I would still have to upgrade further down the road so I inquired about the rsw-12 price.... AU$3000! Well I wasnt expecting the price to be quite that high on the charts especially for my wages (part time supermarket check out chik) so i was wondering is AU$3000 a fair price for the rsw-12??? I am paying $1100 for the rw-12 and have payed off $700.

• 3 weeks later...

personally, i think that the rsw12 is in a whole other league than the rw12. no comparison. personally being the operative word here, of course.

it comes down to how discerning you're going to be about the bass in your bedroom and how much you're willing to spend.

if the cost is less important, then the rsw12 over the rw12. easily.

There is no 'personally' about it. It is in a whole other league. If you can't tell the difference, you don't deserve to own it anyway.

[:)]hahaha CAS, Toddvj, What would you say the difference is in sound quality between a RSW 12 and a RSW 15, because unfortunately here we don't get RSW 15 because there is no 240v version made.. If there is just a minim difference then i might consider getting one just for aestetics to complete the cherry in my system,..