Cornwall Difference & false wall's ??

saltyhook

Hi to all,I am new here. But like all the rest of you have the "Audio Bug Bad". Now that I am 60+ years young I think i can afford some used Khorn's or Cornwalls to replace my Eosone 600's. Two questions.

What is the difference between the Cornwall & the Cornwall II ? My 18" x 36" listening area ( 8" ceiling)does not have a corner wall on one side. How big of a false wall would I need to build to acomodate Khorn's?

Thanks, Saltyhook

The KHorn dimensions are on the product information, I think. There have also been a number of past threads on this topic. The width of the wall is equal to the length from the back point to the point where the KHorn turns to go straight out. Don't know the exact number. Looking down on the top, you can see from a bird's-eye view, the top is house-shaped. The fake wall follows the length of the "roof" of the house. What is it? About 30 inches or so?

FYI, if you haven't had either the Corns or the KHorns and budget is at all an issue, the Corns are the best bang for the buck. I assume you're looking for used.

Ah. 4ft. That's the answer I was looking for on the Khorns. Yes Jeff I am looking at used, & will proably start with the cornwalls "with the best bang for the buck " as you said , and no hassel with the wall requirments. So are there two differnt mdl.'s of corwalls - a #2, was this 2 a more recent mdl ? Are there some year mdl's known for better quality than others?

Thanks to all for the help,

Saltyhook

Salty, can't say what the differences are, but mine are the Cornwall I's (not II's), and they are constructed of solid wood with no mdf. I understand that Klipsch switched to using mdf sometime back on all models (maybe the II's were a switch to mdf among other things). All said, my Corns are great. I am sure Corn II's sound just as great. But I would take my Corns over Corn II's even if Corn II's sounded better. The reason is I can deal with chips, nicks and dents in solid wood if it comes to a point of refinishing. But mdf sucks once it gets cracked, chipped - and especially, if it gets wet or damp.

Look for solid wood construction IMO.

EDIT: Also, I personally would not worry about year models and that "techish" type detail too much. If you have a pair of Corns run through a good amp, you'll know they're Corns. They are that good. What a deal for the money.

Saltyhook,

It's an interesting issue.

First, a false corner (or half a corner) is not all that difficult to build. With a bit of creativity, you can actually get it to look acceptable (WAF ....).

I have both K-Horns (early 80s) and Cornwall 2s (mid 80s). My perspective concerns mostly with the low end response (the mids and highs will sound more similar rather than dis-similar between the K-Horn & Cornwalls). It is the lows that really differ (although I find the mids to sound a bit more nasal on the Cornwall).

The K-horns have a better, more accurate, and cleaner bass response. I believe this is a reflection of the greater efficiency that the corner loaded horn provides. While the Cornwall does not go as low (the very low end), it does have plenty of bass, but I do not consider it to be as clean sounding or as dynamic. It is difficult to describe the sound with words.

Before anyone jumps on me, the Cornwalls do sound good, very good. However, the K-Horns are something special. They also cost more. Typically, the Cornwalls will sell for about 600-800 and the k-Horns for about 1600-2400. Much of the variation is due to finish and condition (these prices do NOT include shipping, which is not trivial). There is also a great deal of variability in cost due to location. These are not easy to ship, and if you are the only guy nearby who is willing to pick them up, then you can frequently get a deal (in my case about half the normal used price - but you must be patient). Incidentally the top section of the K-Horn is easily removed (wing nuts) but the total weight per overall cabinet is about 160-170 lbs.

You are quite correct about the issue of placing the K-Horns in corners. It is critical. However, many folks ignore that proper positioning of a Cornwall is also important. It really is more than tossing them in the room and leaving space for whatever else....

Good Luck,

-Tom

The debate over placement will always rage as everyone has their own opinion. One thing I don't thing anyone will disagree with is either of these models will sound great in any situation, almost. With the right amp and source, the cornwall are such a pleasure to listen to and even placed far from a corner, the klipschorn just sounds so fine. Everything beyond that is fine tuning, turning happy into glad. Just don't buy both the klipschorns and the cornwalls or you may never be able to decide which you like best. You will be like a mouse looking for cheese in the corner of a round room. (But you will be listening to the finest speakers ever made while you run around in circles).