Subwoofer short-list, which ONE???

Bob_Collins

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep the Danley is one big badd#ss sub . Too big for my situation . Single digit distortion sounds good , but not as good as the Velodyne DD15 or DD18 . Distortion is claimed to be .5% at max output !

That can't be a rating for all distortion...must be a measurement of THD alone or something like that. Things like IMD are facts of life and cannot be worked around...

What is the going price for the DTS-20?

(including the amp with signal processing that they recommend to go along with it).

I was under the impression that it was quite a bit more expensive.

Yep the Danley is one big badd#ss sub . Too big for my situation . Single digit distortion sounds good , but not as good as the Velodyne DD15 or DD18 . Distortion is claimed to be .5% at max output !

That can't be a rating for all distortion...must be a measurement of THD alone or something like that. Things like IMD are facts of life and cannot be worked around...

What is the going price for the DTS-20?

(including the amp with signal processing that they recommend to go along with it).

I was under the impression that it was quite a bit more expensive.

Their website claims .5% at max output typical . It does not say what paticular distortion is being measured . I think . [:|]

• 3 weeks later...

True...but keep in mind, the low single digit distortion on the Danley is at IT's max output which is WAY beyond the DD-18's in room. At the range most people can use, the Danley is just barely loafing along at even lower distortion levels. It also has lower group delay and just flat out pressurizes the space like nothing else out there. I've experienced the Velodynes, have great respect for the company and nearly picked up the line...but the Danley is clearly in a different league all together IF you can fit a box in your room large enought to bury an NBA player in and have a screen wall to hide it.

As for the pricing... the passive version runs $2995. Add $500 for an amp and another $100 for a BFD and you have the all time best buy in uber subwooferdom. The active version with DSP runs $4700. The DSP function includes having the guys at Danley analyze your room dimensions or actual measurements and set the DSP to help correct for room issues at the factory.

I'd also throw the new Klipsch RT-12D into the fray...check out the

other thread on the forum. Looking forward to hearing that little

beastie! I'd be real curious to see what stacked ones can do with the

room correction function.

Hello,

I owned the Ultra II subs and the DD15 at the same time. The Ultra II subs were better in my opinion, I sold them recently to RichardP. I sold the DD15 long ago, I now have the DD18 it is better by a slight margine in my opinion in my room. I also have the Def Tech Trinity I still am playing with it. I ordered a RT12d and it will be here in July. I am curious to hear the new Klipsch sub. I really am thinking about getting the DTS 20 but my room is only 15 x 18 two much sub maybe?? Just my two cents.

rmlowz