Bel Canto switches from Tripath to Icepower

sunnysal

Read that. Doesn't sound promising. While I've often found my ears disagreed with reviewers on thier take on a product, never when the reviewers used language like that. My only experience with class D so far is the TI chipset. I certainly hear nothing like they describe in that ICEpath, nor can I imagine why Bel Canto would adopt it over tubes if it really sounds that bad. Perhaps they got a bad unit?

I've never been a big fan of B&O technology. The stuff is pretty, but price-performance wise pretty disappointing. Class D is inherent cheap and will get cheaper, though I am sure that just as there are those who can get $$$ per foot for fancy wire there will be those who can do the same with Class D.

Dave

Think Bose marketing. "We use the same parts as high end B&O rather than that louse tripath stuff found in $20 sonic impact amps, so it must sound good because its is really expensive"

A company like ICE may also be able to offer Bel Canto (who I assume is not a big volume producer) more of a discount than Tripath who deal with big volume producers.

I am still amazed when I see multi thousand dollar digital amps - expensive = good, inexpensive = bad. I seem to remember teh CArver digital amp in home version for abotu $1800 whiel the pro version is only about $700. Are RCA jacks that much more expensive than XLR's?

Chris

Fully agree, tiger...

I paid 127.00 delivered for my 7 lb. Class D receiver for 6.1 100w per. I promply disposed of my Mc2100 as I could not justify a 75lb. 2 channel amp that did not sound as good. It looked neat...but looking about music is like listening about paintings. Of course, I kept my ST-70 as there is just something about that sound and the warm glow of tubes that nothing can replace. I have a fireplace as well...

I am sure there will be $10k class D's and those who will pay for them...not me. Years ago when my friends would kid me about the complexity of my audio systems I said I'd gladly settle for a little black box with one knob if it sounded good. We are getting there.

While my imagination doesn't stretch far enough to visualize how it might be done, I am certain that someone will figure out how to modulate the air directly someday and the ol' horns will be obsolete as well.

Dave

I am selling my $4,000 Denon 5800 receiver to a friend and replacing it with a $250 Panasonic too. Actually, the Denon sounds pretty good but it is really big and heavy and has huge power transformers. My buddy has been bugging me for years so I gave in. The Panasonic shoudl sound good with my Belles. The current model is the '55. I am wondering if they are comming out with a '75 model soon (I'll pay the extra $50).

Chris

I saw it...right before beddybye for another (15 in a row) 0530 workday. Jeez, glad I have a weekend this time! Actually, I've been a bit confused today and thought I'd responded to the query about the model.

SA-XR45. I really have no idea what the opinion of the TI chips are out there...but IMHO it's the greatest the greatest thing in amps since "Mary had a little lamb..."

I have not heard a single input from anyone else on the forum that has used one of these. I'd like to know if I am deef or not.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I own four Bel Canto amps: (2) REF1000s, a S300 and an eVo4, gen.

2. The REF1000s are an improvement over the eVo4 bridged.

First, the bass is more controlled, apparently due to an increase in

the damping factor. Second, the clarity of the music is increased

slightly, but this is more like going from clear to crystal

clear. Third, the sound stage has expanded beyond the boundaries

of the speakers.

I read the review of the ICEpower modules. The reviewer suggested that the quality deteriorated, i.e.,

great specs and bad sound. The Bel Canto products are far

superior to any solid state amp I have heard. My experience is

180 degrees from what he reported. After the REF1000s burned it,

they not only opened the door separating the listening room from the

music, they knocked down the wall.

While my imagination doesn't stretch far enough to visualize how it might be done, I am certain that someone will figure out how to modulate the air directly someday and the ol' horns will be obsolete as well.

It's already been done - I'll have to see if I can't find any specs or pictures. It works on the premise of ionizing the air, which then makes the air reactive to electrical forces. I'm not sure if it's still being developed or not...all I know is that it doesn't do loud volumes or low notes very well at all (more of an airy super tweeter kind of thing).