Fisher 800B Price Check

rplace

Rich, I may be wrong but I think the 800B is a very close cousin of the

800C and depending upon condition and weather or not it has a wooden

cover, it should go for between $300 and $500.

The only difference between these models and the Fisher 500c that I am

aware of is the inclusion of an AM band instead of being FM only.

If you like what you hear in the 500c I've lent you I think you'll like

the 800B. Since I have three of the 500c's maybe we should talk

and I'll sell you one of mine.

When I stumbled upon this old gal the numbers jumped out at me and said this is something really important. However, I did not find much searching on the forum about it. What else is the holy grail of old tube gear? Something with an 8 for sure and I thought a "B". Marantz 8B perhaps???

I am not really looking for new integrated, just thought I had found a deal. Then I was also guessing that since the number was higher then yours, Marty, that it probably had more bells and whistles and/or more power.

I did dig your 500C, and bet it would sound really sweet all NOSValve-ed up.

As you can see I am not very well versed in vintage gear. Is that 300-500 price for a complete, stock, unrestored version or one that has been to a tube spa like Craig runs?

Rich, do a completed listing search on the 800b on ebay. That's where I took my info from.

There's also one or two of them up for auction on the bay right know so

you can see how they do. You're best bet on a restored piece of

tube gear is either here or at Audiogon.

Oftentimes people will say stuff has been checked over and "fixed" by a

tech but take that with a large grain of salt. For example, the

500c you were using was actually gone over by a local tech shop in

Takoma Park, MD prior to my purchasing it. Well you've noticed

that the right channels a little off and if you looked under the hood

you would see that it's still got the original selenium

rectifier. Yet everybody, and I mean everybody, says that at a

minimum any old gear with these in them should have them swapped out.

I've had a lot of fun collecting some of this stuff, and even though I

know it's not up to snuff, I enjoy swapping out some of my estate sale

finds for a different sound. However, if you are serious about a

piece of vintage you've got to look at it as a two-stage process:

Purchase and Restoration

I'm sure you are seeing that already with the Craig rebuilt Scott. When do we get a review on it by the way?

The sonic signature of vintage Eico or Scott amps are often mentioned on this forum. Each of those are unique and good in their own right.

The vintage Fisher amps have a sound all their own, that to my ears is quite pleasing.

On price, I'd think $500 is on the upper end of what an unrestored unit would be worth. The closer you can get to $300 would be fabulous.

It would probably need about $300 to get it up to spec @ NOSValves.

Thanks for all the info guys. Marty, I know I owe the forum a review of your 500c and I owe you your receiver back. I have started it a million times in my head but never got my fingers going on it. In a nutshell there are things I like about the Scott and the Fisher.

Most notable I think your Fisher has a more vast/grand sound stage. The more my Scott hangs around the basement the better it is sounding. First off it was a NOSValves restored job before I sent it back to Craig. The power transformer went on it so it went back to Craig for another round of work. When I first got the Scott back it did not sound much different then when it had left, but after a few weeks it is starting to really sound nice. Would just a new transformer need some break in time?

The Scott might have a little more bass, but the fisher has an all around smoother sound. Ok enough of the review I will get a more formal one in a new post.

Here is the partial add from Craigs list where I found the fisher:

Also, I have a Fisher 800B that I need to let go. No case, but it is complete restorable and has one of the nicest sounds of the Fisher Tube lineup. It may be missing a couple of knobs (it is in storage). All the tubes are there but, again, please do not put this into regular service without restoration. I have heard that the iron on these units are desireable. The 800B is $150 and worth every penny. Lamps work!

So what is the general consensus? Say I get it for 150 or less and invest 300 or less in a rebuild. I am in for $450. I already have a Scott integrated with the full blown NOSValves rebuild. And what I am really after is a Blueberry and mono blocks. Still I like the integrateds and will be needing a set up for my garage when the building is finished. Would a fisher 800b be a nice step up if I was only going to keep one integrated as a backup/extra system or should I stick with the Scott. I could always try both and decide...but then I get into "how much crap do you need" talks wit the wife.

Honestly I thought this 800B was a mega deal...I must have been thinking about the Marantz.

Enough rambling - Thanks, Rich

IMO for $150 that's is a good deal. After the rebuild if you dont like

it you'll get at least your money back out of it. Same deal witht he

Scott if you like the 800b better.

Don't worry about the Fisher review, I thought you were doing a before

and after on the Scott. Didn't realize it had already be rebuilt and

just needed a new transformer.