I Bought Klipschorns :)

meagain

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what to you think Playback is on in most Studios ..??

some Fancy Analphile Amplifier ...???

1940's....was Western Electric

1950's ...was ..Ampex

1960's ...was...Ampex

1970's .. were Crown

1980's ...were Crown

1990's ...were Crown

there are statistics you can retrive from Industry Surveys on this issue

over 50% .are.......Crown/ JBL

Considering my D75 really sucks, should this give me a clue as of why there were so many lousy recordings since the 70ies?

i guess your Forgetting that PWK ...

used Crown ...???

Bwaaaahahahaha ...!!!!

Exactly what to you think Playback is on in most Studios ..??

some Fancy Analphile Amplifier ...???

1940's....was Western Electric

1950's ...was ..Ampex

1960's ...was...Ampex

1970's .. were Crown

1980's ...were Crown

1990's ...were Crown

there are statistics you can retrive from Industry Surveys on this issue

over 50% .are.......Crown/ JBL

Considering my D75 really sucks, should this give me a clue as of why there were so many lousy recordings since the 70ies?

i guess your Forgetting that PWK ...

used Crown ...???

Bwaaaahahahaha ...!!!!

That's why these Klipsch speakers sound so bad. They were designed when PWK was under the influence of crappy amps. [:)] LOL.

The audio snobs will never admit that I'm right. I find this thread ridiculous. Power is where it's at, and deep down, everybody knows it.

LIke I said earlier, JPM (you left us for awhile), I'd bet only half of Klipsch Heritage owners know what their speakers will do. I'd lay money on that. Wonder which half argues against power?

"Vocal "S's" and "T's" can be piercing." ========== I really shouldn't get into this fray, but the above will not be cured by any form of EQ, room additions or tone controls - built-in, added-on or otherwise. It's plain and simple distortion, and no amount or type of EQ will fix it. It is caused by your source(s), your old networks, your amplifier - or all three. A Klipsch Heritage speaker will accentuate, exaggerate and make that kind of distortion so utterly painful you'll want to chuck the whole mess before long. In that particular regard, Heritage is about as ruthless and unforgiving as any speaker I know. md

In this case, it was the source material. But yes, the S's & T piercing goes away with the auto HK setting. So I know it can be tweaked somehow.

I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Up' album. Track 2: "Growing Up". Some cymbal crashes are a bit painful at high volumes. Though I imagine no matter how clean, cymbal crashes can hurt at very high volumes compared to other stuff. Then when I switch to the HK's auto mode, that is fixed, but it bury's other stuff down more that I'd rather hear more upfront like brushes on the drums.

Rather than try and fix a probable crossover problem (25 years old) with an EQ (treating the symptoms and not the problem), I would have the crossovers checked out first.

See earlier posts

78 Khorn

I was hopeing to avoid buying these $400+ crossovers. :( And there's some thread floating around that I have to read (a couple actually) where the people had problems with them. Didn't like the effect. That scares the heck out of me.

It's been suggested I can try a quick fix by replacing "caps". Inexpensively too. Question: If I invest the cash in new 'caps' - then later change the whole shebang, would I be able to sell the old AA's on Ebay or so? I never see these for sale. Just the new ones.

This is kinda getting depressing. I question if I'll ever be able to make them sound great. At least without spending thousands of dollars.

OK Jeff. You win. Send me your Crown to borrow over a weekend and I'll ship it back the following Monday [;)]

You didn't change the 'caps' or anything else on your crossovers?

No. No changes whatsoever. These speakers are the same as they were in 1976. Crossovers are dull and weathered-looking. Like that matters. These speakers kick...

Better news on the amp. Get a used one for about $300-400. I bet it would be easy to find one at that price. You will not be throwing your money away. That's a fact.

Another fact. If I see one around here for that price, I think I'll pick it up, now that I'm wanting to ramp up a downstairs system. Adding KHorns left me with 2 fabulous Corns and no amp to drive them. Must.......... drive......... the Corns! [:D]

Meagain,

I don't recall seeing much in the way of negative comments about Al K's, Dean G's, or Bob Crites's crossovers, but I have seen a lot of positive. Al K's ALK universals cost about $429.00 for a pair. less than the extended slope but more than some of the others. I think Dean G does what he calls Super AA's, I'm not sure of the price but it is easy to find out. I also think that Bob Crites will redo your AA's for less money. Dean and Bob would give the the cost on what they do. There are many threads about crossovers that you can read. I have a pair of 1978 Khorns and a pair of 1978 Belles. I put new ALK's in both pairs and I can tell you that it is the first thing I will do if I buy any more older heritage. I have worked with placement and sealing the base bins and it helped the sound quality, I have changed the crossovers and that helped the sound quality, next will come an amp upgrade from my HK 6650 and Pioneer 1014 to probably either NAD or McIntosh (known for their warm sound, not harsh/bright). This last move will by far cost the most and probably have the least effect. I'm very happy with my current sound at all volume levels but you never stop working to improve once the quest begins.

78 Khorns

Might do a Beringer down the road but my Pioneer has the MCACC EQ and I prefer the sound of my Khorns without any EQ as compared to the auto-MCACC.

Duke, mine are older and sound fabulous. Don't send her down that road. Nor did I ever do anything crossover-wise to my '81 Corns. I've heard both of these through inferior amps w/o serious headroom, and I educated the seller of my Klipschorns. We did A/B amp switching right on the spot, and the guy's comment was he never heard KHorns sound so good. I wasn't going to buy those KHorns until we heard them open up, so that's why I forced the issue on the guy. He learned what I already knew, but I got to hear my KHorns "right" before I purchased them. It's the amp - not the crossovers.