I Bought Klipschorns :)

meagain

As long as you like really bad shrill loud rock and roll music played at ear splitting volumes, that is . . .

Otherwise, NONSENSE!

They're called "pro amps" because they are designed and marketed for something COMPLETELY different from 2-channel hi-fi reproduction.

I can't belive an irresponsible comment like that coming from You, Allan ....[:S]

Exactly what to you think Playback is on in most Studios ..??

some Fancy Analphile Amplifier ...???

1940's....was Western Electric

1950's ...was ..Ampex

1960's ...was...Ampex

1970's .. were Crown

1980's ...were Crown

1990's ...were Crown

there are statistics you can retrive from Industry Surveys on this issue

over 50% .are.......Crown/ JBL

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also mention , that the K-2 is an EXTREMELY popular Studio Monitor amplifier for full field listening

Mr. Duke. That K-2 sure is pretty. Do they make a matching pre-amp? That'd be cool! Not that I'd go spend the bucks on a set-up, but if I could land a used one cheap, I could move my existing Crown down to my Corns hooked up to downstairs HT/stereo.

I bought mine used for $840 delivered ...

From Crystalphonic Records in VA.....

A Recording Studio.........[H]

1950's ...was ..Ampex

1960's ...was...Ampex

1970's .. were Crown

1980's ...were Crown

1990's ...were Crown

Considering my D75 really sucks, should this give me a clue as of why there were so many lousy recordings since the 70ies?

1950's ...was ..Ampex

1960's ...was...Ampex

1970's .. were Crown

1980's ...were Crown

1990's ...were Crown

Considering my D75 really sucks, should this give me a clue as of why there were so many lousy recordings since the 70ies?

Well, if you want that lousy recording to sound right and unaltered, guess you need to use the same lousy equipment to get it back out. [:P]

my D75 really sucks,

to put This in perspective, the D-60/ 75 is

The Most Popular Nearfield Monitor amp ever......

Soooooo.........George Massenburg, Brad Blackwood, choose Crown ....all these guys ...are .....Deaf...???

Do you know who they are .?? google them if not

I can Agree with you the Dc 300, D-60, are very cold amps

and...Old Mac's ...are Dark, and Mushy

newer Macro/ Micro/ K series/ Studio reference .. HMMNNN >>.. why would they make an amp called ... Studio Reference ..., anyways.?????

are Great amps

my Point ....Buy what YOU like ...

The Horz. foam does not cut up the wall.. it just defines the bass horn and if you dont hook the tailboard and horz. part to the wall you will lose bass.If you unhook the tweeter and squawker wires you will see there is a whole lot of information comming from the bass horn...more than you might think.I still say you cant fix your problem till you make sure the crossover is ok and in phase.Lets say you got perfect sound going into the speaker but the crossover makes it bad,,,,then you keep changing amps and not get anywhere.BEC has proven the old crossovers need updated with pics... i might add i checked mine and the Caps were way off on the specs. So argue about power all you want it still wont matter if it gets messed up by the crossover. In fact the crossover can consume more power if there is something wrong with it.I say just fix the crossovers and work from there.Rick

"Tuit - are you saying the Crowns don't do very well at normal or low listening levels as they do for very high? Cuz they were designed for loud? "

Kind of. The older pro amps used bipolar transistors biased heavily into class AB with a lot of negative feedback to assure stability under all conditions. Some say that feedback takes the "soul" out of music. (subtle nuances)

Added to this is the phenomenon called "notch distortion", the distortion at levels under a watt can be much higher than a GOOD consumer amp biased for the transistors to remain "on" longer in the cycle and less feedback. By doing this the pro amps can and do produce huge amounts of power forever. With a Khorn in almost near field listening conditions this can sound downright nasty at low levels. I take no issue with those who like this "sound". It has it's own signature and seems to enhance their listening enjoyment.

At normal person listening levels of about 85Db, your Khorns are averaging 0.1 watt, check the low level distortion figures for any amp you consider buying. Most manufacturers don't publish their low level distortion data if that tells you anything.

Don't get me wrong there are some very fine transistor amps out there. They don't come cheap however and even then when plopping down thousands, you are taking your chances. There is no reason that a $5,000 amp can't sound worse than your $500 HK.

It has been said here before by Tiger, he is giving up his high dollar AV receiver for a $100, 30watt Teac chip amp. No question in my mind he is correct, the Teac easily sounds better on my Khorns than the $3K Yamaha. It is a bit "hot" for my taste though. To each his/her own.

Try a pair of Dean's crossovers. They are tunable in the mid-range and will clean up most of those esses and tees. They can be caused by lossy caps in your AAs.

PS: Duke use that Alpha it is a beast!!! A great sounding beast too although I'm sure time has altered it a tad. Put a fuse inline if you are worried. You should have one with the Crowns anyhow.

"Vocal "S's" and "T's" can be piercing." ========== I really shouldn't get into this fray, but the above will not be cured by any form of EQ, room additions or tone controls - built-in, added-on or otherwise. It's plain and simple distortion, and no amount or type of EQ will fix it. It is caused by your source(s), your old networks, your amplifier - or all three. A Klipsch Heritage speaker will accentuate, exaggerate and make that kind of distortion so utterly painful you'll want to chuck the whole mess before long. In that particular regard, Heritage is about as ruthless and unforgiving as any speaker I know. md

In this case, it was the source material. But yes, the S's & T piercing goes away with the auto HK setting. So I know it can be tweaked somehow.

I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Up' album. Track 2: "Growing Up". Some cymbal crashes are a bit painful at high volumes. Though I imagine no matter how clean, cymbal crashes can hurt at very high volumes compared to other stuff. Then when I switch to the HK's auto mode, that is fixed, but it bury's other stuff down more that I'd rather hear more upfront like brushes on the drums.