I Bought Klipschorns :)

meagain

Uh , sorry for the mistaken identity , this thread has had so many twists and turns I got confused , My Bad ... Anyway when I first went from my old 1976 AA's to Deans rebuilt ones I noticed a generaly smoother sound than before they were rebuilt . It also seemed to tighten them up a bit . Last week I received my 3 new Super AA's from Dean . I installed one of them in my right main and compared it to his rebuilt one in my left . WOW the right speaker seemed very lively and vivid where as the left one sounded somewhat muddy . As far as the AB networks , they were in my rear surrounds and seemed to do a decent job with the signal that was being sent to them . I swapped them with the rebuilt AA's that were previously in my mains and let loose with the War of the Worlds DVD . The sounds of the earth buckling and glass shattering and humans being vaporized seemed much more realistic , LOL ! [:D]

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running 260 wpc and tons of headroom. That being said, I agree with Mark. A quick examination of the surrounds on the K33 says it all. It is a very short throw woofer. I usually listen at night - like right now - and don't play music that loud. I get so much detail out of my horns that I never heard before. The drivers do not move much and produce details like crazy. I also run an SW15 and it does add to the whole mix (a deep throw woofer as a matter fo fact). I also usually have this very low. When I turn it up, the K Horns shake the room without the sub, but I am not wrong for using the sub - I like it. I also am not wrong for listening at low levels most of the time either - it does not mean that I am not using the K Horns to their full potential, I am enjoying a different aspect of them, their best trait in my opinion, and listening at lows volumes at night is really good for my marriage. I am also going to JBL drivers and Altec Horns, but I would never say that those that are using EV / K400's don't know what they are doing, even if they used a subwoofer.

I will say that I prefer my present setup to my old Scott tube amp, but I am also running some nice (in my opinion) equipment in the chain (preamp made by Mark as a matter of fact) that is higher quality than the Scott, but the Scott did sound just great.

If Meagin wants to listen to her music loud (that is what the thread was about) she should look into a high powered solid state or tube amp. My guess is that a Crown K1 or a pair of VRD's or Mcats will give her the volume that she is seeking.

Chris

And Trey uses a QSC. My QSC actually sounds very good at low volume levels. I am now tri-amped using Teacs and a QSC1202. Sounds great at low volume levels, and at high levels too. Never heard the Crown but I would guess that its similar.

I do know that this $600 amp has no business sounding this good at low and at high volume levels. Dean took Trey's recommendation and I took his. I happen to use a tube preamp. It all seems to work well together.

Chris

3dzapper wrote the following post at 12-27-2005 2:38 AM:

icon-quote.gif
78Khorn wrote:

Jeff, have you ever tried updated crossovers? If noI i will use your logic about amps and tell you that you have no idea what you are missing. Mine sounded really good but I chose to try the crossovers after reading the threads on this forum I had listened to my speakers for over 26 years and didn't realize a change had taken place. I only knew I didn't listen to them as often as I used to. Now I listen to them a lot more. May have been fatigue I didn't even realize I was experiencing.

Ditto.

Rick

I see that the quotes did not reproduced in the above responses.

A recommendation to not even replace caps in old networks (not you Rick)? She has the desirable AA's and replacing caps is less than $100. I'm bowing out of this one...

Chris

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread. You both have to take Rick up on this offer.

Duke, my Khorns are 1981. If I recall, you didn't change your crossovers - right?

And is there any way to test these 'caps' in the crossover? Or do we assume they are bad just due to age?

well, no, i haven't .....but i will

yes, you can test them for Value, and ESR .....

as BEC said ... chances are .. thier Toast

Jeff and Meaghan, I have a challange for you both.

I have two pairs of AA networks sitting on a shelf collecting dust, if you accept my challange, I will reload them with fresh caps, sonically test them and send each of you a pair to audition. The caps will be nothing fancy dancy just good sounding, fresh poly capacitors of the proper values. If you don't like the difference just put them in the box and send them back. If you are pleased, just imagine what a pair of the Guru's crossovers could do. buy a pair from one of them and send mine back. If you want to keep mine, send yours back to me and a small donation to my habit.

All you are comitted to doing is sending me back some networks via USPO Priority mail and the whopping sum of $7.70 for postage and your honesty.

Are yez up to the challange?

I can get them to you this year still.

Rick

Morning, all!

Rick.... and as you turned to me, you smiled and said "How, could we go wrong?"

Of course. Your offer is very gracious. I'd love to be eductaed on these the easy way.

PM coming your way.

Meagain. Like you, I have AA's, too. You have '81's. I have '76's. The difference is I claim my equipment is perfectly satisfactory to me in sound, while you claim you're missing something. I think your amp is deficient because I've been where you've been in terms of amps. But we have the crossover gurus telling us it's crossovers.

I took Rick's offer, and I see you did, too. This will make an interesting challenge, and the results will be an interesting thread. My prediction is no "night and day" difference, but maybe a noticeable change in tone. I'll post honest perceptions. If they do nothing, they do nothing. If they rock, they rock.

I think the effects on yours will be the same. You'll notice a difference, but it will not fill that "void" in your system called power. We'll see.......

Jeff - Yes, I'm missing something - but unlike you, I'm not pegging it on one thing based on mere assumption. The fact is, we don't know what my problem is at this point. Maybe your crossovers are in better shape than mine for all we know. Could be the room, setup/position, amp, crossovers/caps, speaker cable - we're only speculating. I'm glad you said above "I think" your amp is deficient. That sits better with me more than "it IS" deficient. Ooops - your last sentence is a definative. LOL - Pretty confident guy huh? We'll see if you're right. Might take a while though.

Personally, I think my sound was better before we foamed and they were 1/2-1" from the corners. Changed the speaker wire too. I'm hopeing to replay around with this Friday or Sat when hubby comes home.

Question: Can anyone tell me what the bases of these things look like? Are the speaks resting on the entire bottom rim or are there some legs in there or something? It would be nice to put some sort of gliders somewhere to make them more easily moveable. And when snug in the corner, it's a bit trickier to walk them out.

My statement re: amp is definitive because I've been there where you are. I used to have a very good 90w/ch Marantz integrated amp/pre-amp. Easily as good as what you're running, if not a little better.

Ain't no comparison to feeding Klipsch the raw power they gobble up. And I have never modified my '81 Corns that I've had for 20 years. Wherever I lived, whatever room size, whatever room configuration - I just plug-n-play. The Klipsch Heritage just soak up that power and give it all back - not so much in loudness - but in dynamics. When the woofer increases in loudness, it doesn't screech - it's a woofer. Nor is it shrill, it's a woofer. Getting that bass to pound real good is a key to dynamics.

I'd venture you have good bass, but not great bass. You'd be surprised. A good woofer pushes frequencies that are higher than you think.

And when you increase loudness, if you aren't driving enough power, your squawkers start catching up disproportionatley louder than your woofers - thus, making the earbleeders people speak of.

That's my theory. Hopefully, for you, I'm wrong. That way, you'll save money and not buy an amp. But I think I'm right.

Oh God - 20 pages. 20 pages!!!!

I skipped everything from page 8 to page 19. I am guessing there was a SET Vs High power SS amp discussion in there somewhere - with a few digital spoilers for good measure.

Is there a lot of - my system sounds better than everyone elses because I have 1.1/3.5/8/60/100/300/500/1,000 Watts Per Channel?

Well guess what - in each and every case they are all right - for them, right now - and guess what again, in 5 years half of them will have switched to the polar opposite of what they have now and the other half will be buried with what they have now.

Me - I am a switcher: 200 wpc SS -> 90 wpc SS -> 45 wpc tubes -> 70 wpc tubes -> 200 wpc SS -> who knows what next - 8 watt set?

Every time I ever switched it was the best thing ever - how could I have listened to that crap all those years....blah blah blah.

Meagain,

Take a break. Chill out. Open a nice bottle of wine, sit down with husband in listening room, listen to a selection of your favorite music for a couple of hours (not the system - just the music).

Repeat the above for about 3 months.

At the END of this process - happy?

If not - come back on here and talk.

But do buy a better CD player - or dare I say it - a turntable? Kidding!!!

Meaghan, Your package is in the mail. Jeff, I hope to get your done later today. I have to cut the boards or new boards. The current ones are sized for a LaScala.

I ran this set one at a time in a Belle but only got to listen to one album per network. Greatful Dead on one, Moody Blues on the other. I would have liked to break them in for a few days 24/7 for you but I wanted to put them in your hands. Listen to them for a while. They will get better and better over a couple of weeks.

Then, if you like cwhat they do, I recommend ALK TypeA Replacementss for the next step knowing what they sound like in a Khorn. I can't comment on Dean's having never heard a pair (hint[;)]). Both Al and Dean's crossovers allow adjusting the squaker to fit your taste and your room.

You should have the AAs by Friday.

Jeff, Since you have seventies vintage K-55s, I'm going to add a P-trap to the ones I am sending you. The P-trap keeps the K-55's return at 9KHz in check.

Rick

post-12829-13819278552696_thumb.jpg