High School Theater gets converted to Klipsch!

cyclonecj

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMIGOSH, those are so beautiful. I love that rotateable feature. extremely cool. Now I see the difference since you put them side by side. Those are going to kick butt over what you had before. (which was _____?)

Again, congrats on a job well done. Sorry to sound concerned about the engineering of the project. I'm sure that will more than enough speakers to fill your 280 seat hall, which btw is gorgeous, how 'bout those chairs gang!

What kind of amp power is each speaker going to be getting?

Michael

• Moderators

Hey thats a very good idea they have there to rotate the horns .

I wonder if you could that to the forte ll, it would not be that hard ,cut the circle out and make a new circle of thicker wood routed around the edge so it would have a lip to screw it down ? Perfect to rotate horns for laying speakers down for ht, If done carefully it would not change the interior volume of the cabinet.

Hey thats a very good idea they have there to rotate the horns .

I wonder if you could that to the forte ll, it would not be that hard ,cut the circle out and make a new circle of thicker wood routed around the edge so it would have a lip to screw it down ? Perfect to rotate horns for laying speakers down for ht, If done carefully it would not change the interior volume of the cabinet.

Unless space was very tight (like this instance), a perfect square would be easier to cut. I guess the circle would allow the splayed speakers in infinite variety of angles though.

M

• Moderators

Also forgot to add ,Very nice job Cyclonecj on staying with it for that long.

That has got to sound good, i don't think we had any speakers at my school, if we would have had something like that the kids would have shown some interest !

OK.... wow is all I can say. We got the three fronts up & had them playing when my daughter called with a broken-down car, so I am just getting home. I will be posting more pics soon....

BTW..... they had NO PROBLEM filling the theater with that beautiful sound we all know so well......

Michael... we already have a number of nice QSC amps that will be running these. One will be re-wired & moved to surround duty since we went from 5 speakers to 3.

OH YEA.... wait till you see the pics of the POS speakers we pulled down..... we REALLY got ripped on that setup....

OK.... here is
the first pic of the trio......

The center went up first, so we had to
try that one first..... of course. The clarity from the mic was
outstanding...... & the whole room was being covered perfectly. Volume was
not at all a problem. About 1/2 up was too loud in the back row. Also, I can
now have the mic on stage turned way up loud, with no feedback! That was always
a major problem before.

Once the other 2 sides were up, we started
playing. Absolutely no surprises here... they sounded exactly like I expected.
VERY clear, decent bass, & perfect coverage from any seat in the house.
This was a major change, since the older speakers were pointed straight into the
catwalk, & not at the audience.

post-11842-13819278321284_thumb.jpg

They are supposed to be "community sound" speakers, according to the plans. They are actually "community solutions". there are 2 6" drivers, one covered by a "conehead", the other has a tweeter looking horn in front of it. Then there is the larger horn, that has holes in it, like its porting the woofers.......

EDIT:....WOW!!! I just looked up the list price on this speaker.... it is still in production & lists for $1,882.00!!!

post-11842-13819278322754_thumb.jpg

I will bring in
my SPL meter & do a few sound checks to see what we get. At one point, I
cranked it up a bit & had them both covering their ears. It was not more
then 2/3 up, & the QSC amps were not hitting the red lights yet.

Tomorrow they start on the side speakers...... They will be the hardest
since there is no wiring for them yet, however each side has 3 wall plates
with conduit running to the control booth. The brackets got lost in shipment,
so David has been on the phone trying to get them located & delivered.
David fly's out Thursday night, so I really hope they get
there.

EDIT: I can honestly say that I do not like the nameplates on the 250's. Just a bit too bold for my tastes. I may remove these & see if I can order a set of the same badges that are on the 362's. They have a very classy look.

post-11842-13819278326374_thumb.jpg

THose old speakers look like a bad sci-fi movie set. So they're NOT Community, but some ripoff, is that right? THat's sure some bizarro design. No wonder they sounded like dog doo. What is that like 2x10" woofers with some cheesy phase plugs?

We used to use some Community bass bins in my PA days. They has one monster rig, you'd buy the glass horns and build plywood box for them. It was like 6' tall 4 way I believe.

You've made a massive improvement in that system. Congratulations. That's one heck of a board too. Got a channel close-up? Are those 8x submasters off to the right?

M