High School Theater gets converted to Klipsch!

cyclonecj

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very nice theater for a school and it just got better with the addition of Klipsch.

I can't even remember what my HS's theater in Venice, Florida used for audio, it wasn't anything special at all though, to be honest it was down right pathetic, they only had 2 speakers, on the left and right of the stage, given that they were pretty big, and horn loaded, but still pathetic.

Any plans on running some Klipsch 18" cinema bass bins with that setup? That would be pretty sweet.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but money is limited. I only get so much every year to put into improvments & upgrades, as well as repairs. So we want to try the system with no sub for a while. For what we do, I think it will be ok. Anything will be a 1000% improvment over the speakers we have now. Also, the money for this speaker system was actually set aside 2 years ago.

After this, I need to ask for a new CD player & some new cabinets. We just installed a new set of wireless mics, & they are sitting on top of the current wireless cabinet. I will also be asking for a digital surround processor & another amp to add to the patch bay. After that, if nothing else goes down, we may ask for the sub.

It seems that everytime we put on a play or something, they come up with something else they want, so I put that on next years wish list.

I still say that when using it for normal auditorium mode and speakers are PA configuration, you'll need delays for those rear channels or it'll sound like mush. In large spaces you need to have the rears delayed so that the sounds from the front and rear speakers reach the listeners ears at the same time. Please check with your contractor on this. The more banks of support speakers (side 'surrounds') you have, the more difficult this task.

That's why large churches have a SINGLE large pod of speakers suspended over the congregations's heads splayed correctly so that everyone gets a single source of sound at the same volume. If you just use your front speakers, the first ten rows get blasted and no one in the rear can hear a thing. If you turn your surrounds on, everyone gets multiple sources at different distances and the sound gets ugly very quickly.

Please check into how this setup will be wired. Or perhaps I'm missing something. Is there some fanatastic digital system being employed that can do your 'theatre special effects' discrete channels but still allow the speakers to be used for delayed voice PA system?

Readers of this thread, refer to

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/653873/ShowPost.aspx

where cyclone gives thanks to Trey and Amy for setting him up with a vendor willing to design this setup with Klipsch speakers. The last few posts give details of the use of the theatre where special surround effects are mentioned.

Personally I think this would take a major back seat to getting the timing for straight PA correct.

Michael

We only use the front center for voice & basic video, etc, & the front left & right for music. The room is small enough that we have never had a problem hearing from the front to the back rows....

The basic layout of the front speakers is not changing here...... just

the quality of the speakers. The current ones sound like C$#p.

Someone once described the sound as "buried underground".

The new sides will be used ONLY for surround or special effects. We do have a TC electronics digital sound effects processor that we use all the time for plays etc. I'm sure we will be using this for some things.

Also, the sides will not be hard-wired..... they will only be connected

to the patch board, so we can use them for whatever we want.

So you mean that for all those cabinets, for speech, you will be using only a single center cabinet? How many seats is that place? I can't imagine that solo cabinet will provide sufficient even coverage of the entire room. There are three bins up there currently, and those will be replaced with just ONE 362 at that position?

Will that single 362 have the dispersion and levels of the existing three cabinets? What type are they? For sale?

You do have three of the 362 bins, right? How far apart will they be when installed?

Michael

haha, all valid concerns but if you've ever mixed with a 362 you would know it's totally capable for the job [:D] The people on the far sides will certainly have some HF loss, but I've used speakers like this at outdoor concerts with 200+ people with decent results...it only gets easier when you go inside.

Worst case scenario you can do a LCR mix and add just a touch of voices into the LR to help fill in the sides - and time alignment wouldn't be an issue because you would only be able to dial it in for a single position anyway. I've been in many churches with the same layout and they have good results too.

Sure it's not ideal, but this is one of those times where it's usually good enough.