reciever settings

bismarck

I just have two questions. On my reciever there are two options i am not sure about. The first is "D. Range hp and D. range sp." The second is "LFE-hp and LFE-sp" I have no idea what hp(high pass maybe?) and sp mean. I am also wondering what I would benefit from changing these settings. any help would be great. thanks

I just have two questions. On my reciever there are two options i am not sure about. The first is "D. Range hp and D. range sp." The second is "LFE-hp and LFE-sp" I have no idea what hp(high pass maybe?) and sp mean. I am also wondering what I would benefit from changing these settings. any help would be great. thanks

HP is I think Headphones...

SP is pseakers I think

dynamic range can be set to MAX/NORMAL/MIN for speakers and headphones on two different settings...

yamaha and purist shouldnt really be used in the same sentence since they are the kings of dsp's. But I leave the dynamic range at normal and dont use headphones, but yes hp=headphone and sp=speaker. Dont worry about those settings. I do reccomend setting the eq to front instead of flat in the ypoa setup. I also notice that ypoa sets volume for the surrounds about 3dB too low. as compared to my sound meter.

wait a minute does you reciever come with ypoa?(a microphone)

I am also wondering what I would benefit from changing these settings.

Dynamic Range is your speakers ability to go from quiet to loud. Klipsch's do this quite well - so no adjustment is required. Other (less efficient) speakers may not have the same capability to play from quiet to loud - so this feature allows for compensation for those "other" people [:P]

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) the LFE adjusts the characterisitcs of the LFE in a similar way - adding more or less impact on that channel...

Okay, i think i will just set those 4 settings to normal. I am also wondering about the center channel equalizer. Right now i can definately tell a difference from the center and the front speakers when playing the test tone, but how imperative is it that i get them sounding the same. I am also wondering how exactly to do that, i have the options on my reciever but my ear is not trained enough. Are there any easy ways, or is it just the old try, try, and try again until they match.

Thanks

Unfortunately my reciever does not have a mic jack. So i figure i would have to do it by ear adn that isn't good news. Unless there is any other way, or any guide to go by on how i should adjust it, becaue as of now going by ear, it would be like looking for a light switch in a pitch black room.

Set them to max. Max is the only setting that does not have any compression. That is of course, unless you want it compressed to avoid huge changes in volume. I have RX-V1500 and setting to max I can hear whispers then explosions will rattle the walls, all still clean sound. If you want to avoid big volume differences use night cinema. If you set up your speakers by ear then you're just setting them until they sound good to you. Nothing wrong with that.