Cornwalls (L/R Main)

Heresys (L/R Surrounds)

RC-3

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

HT Room now X10 Controlled

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

In the DVD player - Stevie Ray Vaughn Live in Austin Texas. Of course I'm biased but I don't think that anything but a horn can keep up and articulate clearly every note as a seperate note when Stevie let's er rip on 'Tightrope'. Sizzling!!

In the 5-disk CD....Pink Floyd - Live in Montreal '76 (Disk 1&2)....Pink Floyd - Animals....Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets.....Pat Travers - Crash and Burn.

------------------

Ed

Fronts: Pre-1955 Klipschorns (slightly modified)

Center: 1984 Klipsch Belle

Sub: Klipsch KSW200

Surrounds: Tannoy PSM6.5's

Receiver: Denon AVR1701

Video: InFocus LP350 DLP front projector

Satellite: DishNetwork 4722 (DD5.1)

DVD: Panasonic A320

S-VHS: Panasonic PV-S7670

LaserDisc: Pioneer CDL-406

CD: Kenwood CD-404 5-Disc Changer

EQ (for CD player only): Furman E151X2

Protection: Furman AV1215 Power Condition/Voltage Reg

Gotta mention this one:

Just got the remastered "Music From Big Pink" by The Band. I put this on and was absolutely floored! This is an absolutely transcendent CD! As one who was really only familiar with a few of their songs, this easily blows away even their greatest hits collection. And almost as surprising was the sound quality. Sure there is hiss, but the instruments and vocals are just so alive. This recording is very deserving of it's "recording of the month" status in STEREOPHILE a while back.

------------------

JDMcCall

Ha,

Olaf brought back some memories. Moving Waves. It was in heavy rotation in college. Perhaps the target of a trip to the CD shop in the future.

I see some overlap in the above and my listening.

The album I keep going back to is "Songs from West Side Story." An interpretation by many artists rather than a sound track. That was the last on the CD player over the weekend.

The new mix of Yellow Submarine was played, but made me think about Sgt Pepper. YS was totally remixed and I wish they'd do it for SPLHCB.

Also last weekend, excuse spelling, Ma Valst, by Smetana.

I also like Telarc and Kunzel. The collection of Victory at Sea.

I had some K.D. Lange on in earlier months.

This is a good subject thread. We're picking up favorites of new friends. A good source of subjects to sample.

Gil

P.S. and edit.

The initial question about what "normal" people listen to reminds me of a scene from "Childhood's End" by A.C. Clarke. (A favorite. The quote is from dim memory, flawed.) One of the Overlords (alien) states: "If art is abnormal, and all humans engage in art, we have an interesting problem."

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 10-15-2001 at 07:10 PM

Gil,

That brought back some memories, and with them another thought...

Ever see Monty Python's the Life of Brian? There's a scene where Brian, standing in his room high above a crowd of people, looking out a window and addressing the crowd, is trying to tell them that they need to start thinking for themselves and stop following along like a bunch of sheep. Towards the end of the speach he tells them "You are ALL DIFFERENT!" The crowd of thousands, in unison, chants back to him "Yes, we are ALL DIFFERENT!" A brief pause, and lone, dissenting voice comes as a man stands up and says "Well, I'm not."

I have no idea how that relates to this thread, but I've never forgotten it...

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering