Cabinet diff in CWII CBR's

intotubes

I noticed these and see that the cabinet in significantly different than my C#BR's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-Cornwall-II-Heritage-Series-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5845165633QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Specifically the exposed plys visible on the top. Mine have been mitered to 45 degrees so there is no ply showing. Someone veneered the front so I suppose I could sand and finish these to an acceptable degree.

Is the exposed ply a trademark of earlier CW's?

Mine are '86. When did they change?

Sometime after 1983 the birch Cornwalls went to mitered cabinets (although a very few plant employees had already purchased birch-mitered Cornwalls as a special order prior to that time.). This most likely coincided with the advent of the Cornwall II around 1985. DO NOT confuse the latter Cornwall II with the earlier Cornwall II of the 1960's that many just call the "vertical Cornwall" version.

Also, prior to birch plywood being used on the decorator models, the wood used was fir plywood. Klipsch went from fir to birch for its decorator line-up sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's, but definitely prior to 1976.

I was there from 76-83, so I know what was being used throughout that time period, and the assembly techniques for cabinets. Even though the end of the "vertical" Cornwall II in the line-up had occurred prior to 1976, we still built a few of them for special orders after that time, IF the customer requested it.