CornSomethings?

BiggerIsBetter

Simple, but effective. I also like the inboard/outboard looks. I am not done with the crossovers. After trying a few different configs, I did settle on the simple B with the mid cap changed to 7. I still have some touch up work to do. I have some inductors on backorder from Parts Express, seems someone bought all the 2.5 mH super Qs.

post-19425-13819278687272_thumb.jpg

Best part is total cost was about FREE. A kind member provided the excellent 401s for $57 (shipped) and the 2 caps were around $7. I assume I can get that much for the 600s, if I sell them.

Yes, the 400 horn is a LOT bigger and I am concerned about the cabinet volume reduction. I estimate that the change resulted in a net decrease of around .13 cuft. That should be a small percentage of the total volume. I did not hear a change for the worse in bass response, but the measurements did fall off a bit quicker in the extreme low (which is 63 hz in my room).

The 400 horn is not louder than smaller 600, they measured about the same through the midrange. I am satisfied with the sound and think I have archived the goal, the "best" pair of heritage Klipsch speakers.....my room is not KHorn friendly.

How did you seal the K400 to the motorboard. Is it just real tight when you screw in the back cover? I cant see how else you could of done it with the ability to take the back cover on and off.

The volume change won't be much. If anything, you have slight gain of dB in the low end and a slight loss of low end frequency. The curve will be a little less flat. However, the K33 in the Cornwall isn't flat to start with.

jc

Yes clapper corns would be good. However, the current trachorn wasn't desined to get a tight seal. I went throught his delemna before. If Al would just get that new horn out...that would be the answer.

By the way, I don't think it is really the crossing of the 600 to 400Hz that is the big difference. I think it is just the fact that the K401 is much better than the K600. IMO.

I also don't think the crossover change made a significant difference, more the horn. The back cover is just a very close fit, with the caulk to seal any gaps. It should not be too hard to get the backs off, but with the mid driver and crossover outboard, I hope there is little need to open them back up. The 401 is mounted to the motorboard with 6 screws, just like the 600s. The backs also support the horn so it's a good tight fit overall.

I did hate to cut the cabinet, but I justified it by convincing myself that I could also revert them back to "stock" with a new back cover and motor board, glued to the original which would make them deco corns. [;)]

Here's the side shot, they stick out around 11".

post-19425-13819278697022_thumb.jpg