FS: Modified Type AAs

Deang

Dean, I don't mean to hijack this thread but what in those networks costs $320? I'm not doubting you or questioning your know-how and experience but I am curious. I mean, wow, hundreds of dollars for caps and inductors? This is a new concept for me and I am trying to get my head around it. I will eventually get some Khorns for my future HT and may be needing something like this in the future. Again, just curious. Please don't take offense.

"Dean, I don't mean to hijack this thread but what in those networks costs $320? I'm not doubting you or questioning your know-how and experience but I am curious. I mean, wow, hundreds of dollars for caps and inductors?"

LOL, yeah, that's what I thought too when I started doing this stuff. All capacitors aren't created equal. There are different types, and the higher the quality of material and construction the more they cost. Now, does this always equate to "the best sound". Not necessarily, and it's often circuit dependant. However, in my experience -- more times than not I prefer the sound I get with the expensive stuff. When I build for myself I go for broke -- which is usually how I end up.:) When I build for others I have to strive for balance -- as good as I can make them and still expect someone to pay for them! You can go here: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=61 and check out the different type caps and their pricing structures. Same thing with inductors. With the networks in question the primary caps were $50 a pop. The other big ticket items were the autoformers.

Meagain -- I think you know that the corner you push the K-horn into "finishes" the bass horn, right? Now, how many sides does a rectangular horn have? Would you want carpet along one of the sides of your midrange horn?

Yes, I understand that it uses the corners/walls for the bass, but no - it would never occurr to me nor have I read anything that ever mentioned the floor under the khorn being critical to anything. Are you saying it does? :o And doesn't it have it's own bottom? I certainly didn't flip it upside down to look.

2445 is the driver I use on my 2360 horns ...

titanium dia, not a plus at home, will handle 150w @ 500 hz

it's +/- 1 Db, from 500 > 3k

the bad news ....

it drops like the proverbial stone at 500 hz ..

it's 10 db down at 400 hz ..

this, of course is horn dependent somewhat, too

on the- k400, who knows ...[8-)]

JBL design parameters usually include multiple drivers, all operating within a small range ...

the older, larger Monitors were up to 5 way, with say..

15" woof, < 200 hz

10" low mid < 500 hz

6-8" hi mid < 1200 hz

C.D. to maybe 8000 hz

slot tweet to 20k

like the JBL 4350 Monitor

then theres what Westlake did with JBL drivers, which was to refine that idea further

Well since I have them sitting around I'll give them a listen. I was going to leave them mounted to the JBL horns. I might try them on the K-400. I don't think the throats are the same size though.

Dean what did you do with the JM Preamp and the Quads that are pictured??