FS: Modified Type AAs

Deang

A set of my personal networks.

Type AAs with a slightly modified tweeter filter and a bandpass which gently rolls the squawker off at 5.5kHz. Built completely with film and tin foil AudioCap PPT Thetas. The filter maintains the classic Klipsch signature while lowering distortion and providing a sound that is fast, clean, and engaging. Very detailed without giving up warmth and a treble completely devoid of hash and sibilance. This network has spent a lot of time in my system being my choice with the QSC, Crown, and most recently the TEAC. I imagine it would shine equally well with MOSFET solid state and MacIntosh. It should probably be avoided by SET users or tube PP with moderate to no feedback. $320 in parts, and I would like $375. Don't really want to sell them, but I'm tripping over networks and like everyone else I have bills to pay!

post-3205-13819278722162_thumb.jpg

I've got a few thinking about it -- Jeff's freaking "I don't hear no damn difference" thread isn't helping the cause any. I hope LeMay takes out what's left of his hearing.:)

What are you going to put them in Charles, I thought we were done except for changing a couple of those tweeter filters.

Dean, if he does not hear a difference he must be deaf. Every time I have swapped a stock network for a different one in a Klipsch Heritage speaker the difference is immediately apparent and there is NO guesswork involved period! I certainly don't profess to have excellent hearing with all the firearms and loud systems that I have been around over the years. I even noticed a difference by merely swapping the 13uf midrange capacitor in my AK-2 networks from the Aerovox to a Kimber Kap. Why in the world do you think that I keep coming back to you for networks, it certainly is not because they look pretty.

My plan is this, I would remove the DHA2Xover networks that you built for my '77 Klipschorns and put them in my '78 Belle Klipsch. I would put these networks in my '77 Klipshorns. Lastly, I would offer the Bob C. AA/A convertible networks up for sale.

I'm using the little TEAC (sounds fine to me) while Craig is building my VRD's. My Klipschorns are still gorgeous, but now sporting ALK Trachorns, JBL 2470's, and a pair of Beyma CP-25's. I run several different networks, swapping them around about once a month just to enjoy the different flavors.

What JBL speakers do you have that are "just sitting around"?

I have a pair of 2445J mounted to 2382A horn lens. I also have a pair of 18" JBL Subs and I'm not sure what the 12s I have are. They're the kind with the tweeter in the center. I haven't opened up the cabinet yet. I know there are no drivers on the tweeters though. I also scored a plethora of SS amps that I have no idea what I'm doing with, yet. I have a QSC RMX-850, a Crown Macrotech1200, an Ashley FET-200, and a dBX1 crossover. I was considering possibly trying the JBL Horn out if I can pick up a pair of 2404H. You interested in building a crossover if I like this setup? I will probably try the dBX-1 first. Oh yeah, I also have a JM Peach headed my way. I'm going to have to start unloading some stuff soon. I'm running out of room!

LOL -- As soon as I figure out what you mean by that I'll be able to conjure up the appropriate response!

Johnny, whoa -- lot's of stuff there. I'd have to some homework on that horn, but the driver sounds like another JBL driver that probably sounds better than the K-55 but starts to run out gas where you need it the most -- the transition area from the bass bin to the mid horn. Probably good down to 500Hz and then rolls off pretty fast. Same problem with the 2470's I'm using, and I'm cheating it by lifting the midrange response higher than it should be to get the low end response of the driver up (louder). So the mids are kind of hot, and I need to get EQ back in here so I can bring the upper end down. At any rate, you're only three miles away so we can play around when you're ready.

Meagain -- pictures around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

Thanks Dean. Don't want to hijack your thread, but had a quickie question..... Since the side walls were secured to the khorns, why did you feel the need to create 'floors' for them? Further stabilization? Mine are on thick plush carpet and wondering if that affects anything.