Rear speakers for RF-7 in 7.1

Flysurgeon

Hi guys. I just bought the RF-7 series for surround HT (RF7 x 2, RSW-15, RC-7, and RS-7 surround x 2). I want to go with 7.1, and want to know what you all suggest for the rear center speakers. Should I go with 2 more RS-7's, or with the smaller RS-35's or should I go with monopole bookshelf speakers like the RB-25's or RB-35's?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!!

I am a fan of RS speakers for HT...

THX....

read this... http://www.thx.com/mod/products/speakermodes.html

shows dipoles for side surrounds

someon on here linked to a review where they tested various surounds for side and rear..

and I think it was monopole for side dipole for rear...

BUT

remember the RS are not dipole... but WDST as the horns are in phase with the woofer...

Can someone describe me the sounddiference between a 5.1 setup and 7.1 setup. Is this a huge upgrade?

I am planning to upgrade my system, due to the cost i have to decide 2 new surround backspeakers or a second RSW12.

what would you guys do?

Hello Mike,

If it were me I would upgrade your mains to RF-7's and move the RF-5's to surround and put your RS-7's in the rear in a 7.1 configuration. I have the RF-3's that I use for surrounds and I prefer them over the RS-7's and the RB-75's for surrounds (although one of these may work better in your HT envirnment).

Insofar as the differences I noticed in 5.1 verses 7.1--It depends on the material. When I watched LOTR in 5.1 the first time in 5.1 it was an awesome experience. When I saw the newer extended version in 6.1 I notice my back speakers had several discrete sound scenes that were cool, but it didn't make it an overall better movie. [:)]

Are the rf7 such a huge difference against the rf5. When i heard them at my local store i found them a little boomy. that's the raisen why i just want to at a second rsw12 to my rf5 system. I think the two rsw12 can do more than the rf7's. altough the boomynes of the rf7 have maybe somtehing to do with roomacoustics.

I think going to 7.1 would be a good up grade. The new format with blueray or hddvd is dolby digital plus that 7.1. This may take a few years or it may be the new dvd's from the start. If you go to the Dolby web site it will tell you about the new format. So you may want to look at upgradeing for the future I am for a pair of Cornwall's togo to 7.1. and I will wait to get a new Sunfire preamp, that has Dolby Digital Plus.

Are the rf7 such a huge difference against the rf5. When i heard them at my local store i found them a little boomy. that's the raisen why i just want to at a second rsw12 to my rf5 system. I think the two rsw12 can do more than the rf7's. altough the boomynes of the rf7 have maybe somtehing to do with roomacoustics.

I have only heard the RF-5's at the store. They sounded good but no where as powerful as the RF-7's. I have an overkill situation in my HT (specs below--PICS on page 4 of the "Photo section) and I have tight base in the system and don't feel my RF-7's are boomy. They also sound better in my home than they did in the designated theater display at EVERY store I auditioned.

For music, if I leave my crossover set at 80 Hz, it does sound slightly boomy (of course that's my RSW's), but when I set the subs cross at 60 Hz, it cleans up nicely and the RF-7's sound tight (For movies I set the crossover at 80 Hz.). BTW, the reason I have 2 subs in the first place is a long story--If you aren't experiencing any directionality of the location of you sub--I would still opt for the RF-7 upgrade--Of course this is only my opinion [;)])

It is normal that the rf5's are not so powerfull as the rf7's due to the larger bassdrivers. This will especialy be true when you use them whitout a subwoofer. But i think that when you compare the two speakers (rf5-rf7) each with the crossover set at 80hz and the same subwoofer there will be not a hughe difference as the subwoofer is in that case doing all the bassfrequencies.

Although that's what i think but i might be serieus wrong?

It's a little less critical what you use as back surrounds, but it's always nice knowing you have a good tonal match for all your speakers, I would look at the rb-75's or rf-7's first and second choice would be the rs-7 if you didn't have room for a floor stander.