Hickok 539c Tube Tester...Want To Have It Calibrated...WHO????

Gilbert

I've aquired too many tubes and too much tube equipment not to own one. So I finally did it. Lucked out and found one not too far away. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Witchita, KS. The unit appears to be in excellent condition, other than a couple of small nicks in the carrying case, it look brand new.

I have'nt got a clue how to operate it, and I want to have it professionally calibrated, and in 100% working condition. My questions are;

Who does this kind of stuff?

Who would you recommend?

I think I would use it as is if it is in working condition. Does it have the manual? I have the same tester. I haven't worried about getting it calibrated. The cost of having this done would likely exceed the cost of the unit itself. Maybe finding a friend that's an electronics buff with nothing to do.

Other than that I would for an older TV repair shop with an old tech still running it.

Good luck.

I think I would use it as is if it is in working condition. Does it have the manual? I have the same tester. I haven't worried about getting it calibrated. The cost of having this done would likely exceed the cost of the unit itself. Maybe finding a friend that's an electronics buff with nothing to do.

Other than that I would for an older TV repair shop with an old tech still running it.

Good luck.

Thanks INTO, and yes I have the manuals (on order), and even found some info on how to calibrate the unit. From what I've read, it really doesn't appear to be that difficult to calibrate, so I really don't think (out of ignorance) that it will cost that much.

Also, even though the unit appears to be Like New Condition, it was manufactured in 1953, so I really get that feeling that some of the components arn't quite up to snuff. I will play with it when the manual arrives, but won't have faith in the tester until I can get her professionally calibrated, and compared against some other units. I'll also need to read up quite abit about tube construction,....tube testing procedures, .... and learn to interpret my readings. Based on what I've read, No 2 testers (identical or otherwise) will give the same readings. Way too many variables involved.

Michael Marx at vacuumtubes.com makes a market in tube testers. He could probably direct you to the people who do his work. He will also have your manual which probably has calibration instructions

I got my tester (B&K-700) from him. It came with calibration instructions that took about an hour and only required a volt/ohm meter and a few common resistors.

I was amazed the first time I had mine apart. There is very little to them!

DRBILL

I have the manuals (on order), and even found some info on how to calibrate the unit. From what I've read, it really doesn't appear to be that difficult to calibrate, so I really don't think (out of ignorance) that it will cost that much.

Excellent news. I haven't looked at mine in quite some time. I know it was calibrated several years ago. It's good to know it's not that difficult to do.

I've aquired too many tubes and too much tube equipment not to own one. So I finally did it. Lucked out and found one not too far away. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Witchita, KS. The unit appears to be in excellent condition, other than a couple of small nicks in the carrying case, it look brand new.

I have'nt got a clue how to operate it, and I want to have it professionally calibrated, and in 100% working condition. My questions are;

Who does this kind of stuff?

Who would you recommend?

This place does calibration and repair.

$75.00 for calibration, $120 if repair is needed.

http://www.alltubetesters.com/pricing.html

A couple people have mention having calibrations instructions. If you still have them, could I get a copy of them? I'd like to see what's involved.

Scott, that's the second time I've been refered to that link you provided. Another good source that I was refered to is vintage radio forum. Thank you, I think I'll be sending it to Rodger Kennedy.

Has he ever done any work for you?

Scott, that's the second time I've been refered to that link you provided. Another good source that I was refered to is vintage radio forum. Thank you, I think I'll be sending it to Rodger Kennedy.

Has he ever done any work for you?

Gilbert,

I had my Hickok 752 checked out by Kara Chaffe aka www.tubewizard.com When she got too busy to do work on tube testers, she listed Rodger's website as a new source for tube tester service. I haven't used him but it sounds like he knows what he's doing.