Aragon 2007, how good is it?

ottscay

I was thinking of bidding on the refurb unit that Klipsch is selling on ebay, but it looks like it will end up out of my current price range. I've read good reviews about the 2005 and the 2007, but I was curious if anyone had any specific knowledge of them used in Klipsch RF-7 based systems. Mr. Magoo and others have pointed out that RF-7s need amps that can drive low impedance, and to find them you should look for amps that come close to doubling their power from an 8 ohm to a 4 ohm load (and preferably again to a 2 ohm load). The 2007 goes from 200 wpc into 8 ohms to 300 wpc in 4 ohms. Now, 300 watts is still a lot but does the Aragon have the gutts to drive the bass in the RF-7s, especially in occasional 2 channel music playback?

Also, are these amps truly silent? I love the soundstage of my Carver Pro, but there is an audible hiss when the speakers are supposed to be silent, and it's annoying enough that I'm trying to replace it (preferably with a quality multi-channel amp so that I can go seperates and never go back).

Thanks guys!

I have used my Stage One/2007 with my older HT system...K-Horn mains/LS center.

Silent, no hint of noise......

Currently driving my RB-75's, RC-7, RS-7 with RB-5 rears.....quite and just how loud do you wanna listen?

The 2007 runs cool, never a hint of warm, even when placed in my closed back cabinets

I am Beta testing a pair of RF-63's with RC-64 set to large......again, the 2007 never breaks a sweat.

Aragon amps drives everything we have here at Klipsch....including the RF-7's, no problem.....trust me we play loud, hard and long.....

True, they don't double into 4, but that is not a problem at all, they are high current amps.

Yes they have the guts to drive the RF-7's

No offense to Klipsch but you better look under the hood of the Aragon 2007 before dropping that kind of coin, it looks like they put a 4 cylinder engine where a V-8 should be. A single power supply and a weight of 45 lbs tells me all that I need to know, which is look elsewhere. I think that single power supply will run out of steam long before all 7 channels get anywhere near 200 watts each. For the money there is alot better to be had

Look into B&K or Sherbourn both are reputatble, solidly built and sound great with Klipsch.

No offense to Klipsch but you better look under the hood of the Aragon 2007 before dropping that kind of coin, it looks like they put a 4 cylinder engine where a V-8 should be. A single power supply and a weight of 45 lbs tells me all that I need to know, which is look elsewhere. I think that single power supply will run out of steam long before all 7 channels get anywhere near 200 watts each. For the money there is alot better to be had

Look into B&K or Sherbourn both are reputatble, solidly built and sound great with Klipsch.

I think your house would fall apart long before that "single power supply" would run out of steam. Assuming they are Klipsch, you'd probably long since blown all your surrounds, thus automatically rebalancing the load on the 2007. There is an elegance that exists in design simplicity that seems to escape many such as yourself.

I can't comment on B&K but the cheap parts in the Sherborn (albiet there are more of them) should alarm someone far more than the lack of them.

I take it you must own one of those fine gems that seem to defy physics right? It takes power to make power, and I have had preamplifiers with power supplies that big. I'll be happy to one on one it against my Sherbourn 7/2100A and we will see which one runs out of gas first under any circumstances.

I compared the Sherbourn 7/2100A one on one with a pair of $5K each DBX BX1 Configurable Reference Amplifiers which are some of the cream of the crop as far as SS is concerned, and the Sherbourn sounded just as good and had 100W/channel more available. So I supposed they arranged the cheap parts in the correct order if it can perform equally as well as a pair of $5K 100lb amplifiers.

The bottom line is seven true mono blocks will ALWAYS outperform a seven channel amp with a single shared power supply end of story.

P.S. My Klipsch are bigger than yours. [:D]

Thanks Stephen for your information. I'm not sure that the Aragon "defies physics". The Sunfires are well regarded, but they can't drive all of their channels at the levels they list either (that's why they don't list their wpc as being driven simultanously). Fewer parts may mean less degradtion to the signal, although of course this would depend on the quality of parts.

I know the 2007 has gotten some stellar reviews (albeit mostly 2-4 yeasr ago), but then amps don't really get updated that much, and physics remains more or less constant, so if they were good then they'll likely be good now.

On the other hand, there is much to be said for seven monoblocks (although convenience isn't always one of them...), and I have not done much research into Sherbourn. Since the Aragon is steadily moving out of my price bracket (probably heading where it belongs...), I'll definitely take a look into it. I've also been taking a peak at the Flying Mole Cascade system. I like the expandability, especially if we are going to see additional channels added to HT audio over time. Also the modularity will keep the cost of entry fairly reasonable initially, although over time it isn't the least expensive option.

Thanks everyone!

I'll make it real simple: Pick which amp you would put in your rack.

Aragon 2007 Under the Hood

Have you actually listened to either? I'll take the Aragon clarity over the Sherbone brute strength any day. And, I've had both here for review.

I said it before and I'll say it again a lot of cheap parts does not a good amp make. Just a heavy one.

Based on your criteria. My latest amps, the Nuforce Reference 9 monoblocks, which are taking the industry by storm, and are about THE best amp I have EVER heard, should be loosers because.........

They weigh only about 7 lbs each and are almost hollow inside.

Seven of them would only total 49 lbs.

The bottom line is seven true mono blocks will ALWAYS outperform a seven channel amp with a single shared power supply end of story.

You're not taking into account the relative effiencies of the amplifier sections. As was pointed out, the aragon stuff runs very very cool which is a perfect sign of high efficiency (less energy being wasted as heat).

You are also over simplifying power supply design and performance requirements.

Nevertheless, as a general rule of thumb I would agree with you, but there are always exceptions. The only real issue with using a single power supply is an increase in cross-talk, but this isn't an issue with the proper circuits behind the power supply.

• Moderators

I was thinking of bidding on the refurb unit that Klipsch is selling on ebay, ...

Just to clarify, these units are not refurb--they are new. The auction you are referring to has ended, but it looks like we may have one or two more to list before they are all gone!

Thanks Amy, I'll be watching (hopefully some will be in silver!). I didn't actually mind that they were refurbs, but being new they will of course be more desirable...albeit more expensive too.

If I can sell my old car, I'll be in the game for one, so I'd better get on that!

That line of logic is exactly why audiophiles fail to realize what they may have... may not be the best even if its more expensive and more massive.....

check out this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6514168251893889573&q=ariel+atom

A 4cylinder honda civic v-tec supercharged engine bests all supercars with ease.

there not quite that bad..(non supercharged anyway) though I did replace a V-tec about three weeks ago.

It was blowin smoke not blowing apart

how about the older 2.4 in the Neons now that was a rod throwing motor.

I replaced a valve cover gasket on a 85 ford thunderbird yesterday, it had been a while since I installed a 1/4 inch thick cork gasket.(my new shop was so dead today I actually want to talk about cars, I'm depressed)[:'(]