Mark IIIs on agon

rplace

I don't usually like the mark IIIs that get a ton of cosmetic mods to them, but for some reason I like the looks of these:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1141840842

I know nothing about the quality of the rebuild are these any good? The reason I ask is because I can't see how the guy makes any money. The seem to go between $300-400 (or more) per amp on ebay. I would imagine the materials are not cheap then there is the guy's labor. How can they have all that time spent on them and still turn a profit at a selling price of a grand? Perhaps there is some huge stockpile of old discarded tube gear in shops around the country so the basic parts to start with are almost free.

Chances are he is starting out with rust buckets which can be bought cheap. Hence the reason for the paint. Then factor in the circuit is bone stock except a mild PS upgrade that cost less then using the proper rated can(voltage wise) and you quickly can figure he is making money although he won't get rich. I could come close to matching that price and build 100% new Mark III's with bone stock circuit for a customer. I have everything here to do it brand new. I just would rather not build amps new that perform like that.

Craig

Those do look good. I haven't heard this rebuilder's amps, but he sells alot of Dynaco stuff on audiogon.

If for close to the same money you could get what Craig turns out, no brainer. Get Craig's mark IIIs.

Craig has got a rebuild and mod routine down, that folks speak very well of.

I can't speak personally to the difference or improvement over the original Mark III circuit. My Mark III's are stock, and to my ears, sound very good.

Now Dales I would give $1100 for!! Those are really pretty. You can't go wrong with chrome.

Well if you or anyone else here would like them i'm sure we could make a deal ...

Craig worked his magic with these a few years back so you'd need to take up all the mods with him ...

The only back panel mod is a pair of huge WTB 5 way binding posts that you could bungy jump off of they are so beefy !! Think they were $150.00 or so .. can't remember ? But they were needed as i had the monster sigma series cable on them and that stuff is as big as your thumb and look more like jumper cables ... lol

If all goes as planed i'll be replacing them with some 300b as my music taste for tube has mellowed and for those odd occasions i need to rock the house ... Well nothing beats 4 k-horns in one room with 780 watts of solid state ...

My dean martin and soul type tunes will fair well with a 300b and cornwalls or my lascala's ...

The push pull has been a fun ride .. now it's time to try anther venue and let someone else enjoy these old mark III's

I saw those on A'gon. I thought they were a little pricy for Mark IIIs. You have to really like the color scheme I suppose. Craig, what's wrong with the performance of Mark IIIs?

Nothing wrong with it really. I just know that improvements can be made. NOS Valves is not about "just okay"

Craig

Johnny .. got your e-mail but my computer and yahoo are having an arm wrestle and i'm waiting in the lurch to see who the winner will be ..

I will get back to you with as many pictures as you want to see , inside or out .

I also have the cages and they are mint and in black .

E-mail craig and he will tell you everything he's done to them , think the only mod left is to up the value of the can if need be but i've yet to find a flaw with there performance on either pair of my k-horns ( 1987 & 1989's ) or my lascala's (1987 ) as craig voiced them to his own .

I figure they are worth at least $1100.00 USA as i've got twice that into them so far ..

I also have a christmas sock full of tubes that can be rolled thru the drivers stage as well as 2 quads of kt-88's .

Shipping would be your axe to grind ...

I'm sure the package deal would fetch as much on e-bay or the gong show if i felt like dealing with the general public .. folks around here watched the threads grow as i bought these and as craig rebuilt them and as i customized there appearance so rightfully so they should stay in our klipsch family ...

My purchase of these amps brought me to asking kelly for a pre-amp suggestion which then seen his friend JFL build me and chris robinson the first 6SN7 SRPP pre-amps ... shortly after jeff joined our board and since has built may a fine tube amp for members here ...

What a history we have together in such a few short years ...

Hello Dee,

I sent this A-goN link to SETI the other day. I'm sure they don't sound as good as the ones you brought to Hope but I did dig the red trannie paint!

Fini, big jump from Sharon Stone to Alyssa[;)]

Thanks.

Is Seti seriously looking for some Mark III's?