Excited about HT, need a little advice...please

Allen in Texas

Dr. Who,

What about the below system...is this what your speaking of?

Yamaha/Klipsch Synergy III 1,630W 5.1-Ch. Premium Audio Cinema System

spacer.gif

This killer Audio Cinema System teams up a top-of-the-line THX Select receiver from Yamaha with a surround speaker system from Klipsch featuring Synergy III Tractrix Horn Technology. Along with the mammoth 650-watt 12" sub, they all deliver uncompromising performance for movies, CDs or high-resolution surround audio formats.

Yamaha HTR-5890 980W 7.1-Ch. THX Select Home Theater Receiver with HDTV-compatible component video outputs, exclusive digital ToP-ART audio technology and YPAO automatic acoustic optimization for superior performance

Klipsch Synergy III surround system includes two 8" floorstanding speakers, two 5-1/4" surround speakers, a 5-1/4" center-channel speaker and a 650-watt 12" sub (additional rear speaker(s), sold separately, required for 6.1- or 7.1-channel reproduction)

RB-75's all the way around would be killer.

Your diy screen idea would be good. low cost so you can buy other stuff until you can afford a really good screen.

Projectors are like a car, always new models, they need maintance(bulb life) and just when you get it paid off, it's not worth anything. Get the cheapest with the most performance. bang for buck !!!!! After you get your important long term stuff done, it will be time to replace that projector anyway.

The IB sub mentioned before would be the dream sub, if you can't diy - allocate alot more in this department because it is what your friends will be most impressed with. svs ultra's or velodyneDD, klipsch rsw-15 or thx subs.

With all the changes in hdmi, and a new HD audio format comeing out, I really can't reccomend a receiver or pre-pro right now. I bought a yamaha rxv-757 to get me through. Yamaha is great for movies with klipsch, but I can't really recommend it for music, unless paired with a good amp. IMO My advice is to either wait, or not sink alot of money on a receiver at this moment.

Accesories, a good remote, some x-10 lighting, buttkickers, an spl meter and some setup dvd's.

Spend the most money on things that last!!!

I think so...here's a link to it on the klipsch page:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=868

and a picture:

2.f3_large.jpg

And to move to 7.1 just add another pair of S3 surrounds.

I know this isn't thee absolute best system money can buy, but considering your budget and goals I think you will be most satisfied with this route. The only better option I can think of is to find heritage speakers on the used market - but it sounds to me you'd rather buy new, install it all at once and then never have to worry about it again. (nothing wrong with that - it's just not the norm for us crazy fanatics).

Dr Who,

Thanks alot for the speaker recommendation, the system specs are nice, I appreciate it.

I'm not tied to the Yamaha 7.1 receiver, would you suggest a different one knowing that movies and mostly TV would be the goal of the system?

Anyone feel free to add input, I'm open and do greatly thank all for helping a new Klipsch convert!!

I prefer the Denons to the Yamaha. I also think discontinued models are a better bang for your buck. If I was in the market for an AVR right now I would do one of two things.

1) Try to find a used Denon AVR 5803 or 4802R (both would be overkill with those synergies but if found at a good price would be a good investment,IMO). The Denon AVR-3803 is my favorite "used" bang for your buck recomendations to use with the Synergy system you are looking at.

2) The Denon AVR-3805 has recently been discontinued and should be able to be found in a DFW outlet at a consideralby reduced price with 2 year waranety. It's video switching features could make it a better option for you than the above used recomendations. {Disclaimer: My video sources plug straight into my monitor and that works for me--others may have good reason to have video and audio going through the AVR and don't mind paying extra}

Also look at the HK AVRs. I have no personal experience with them but I haven't found any Klipschsters that are disapointed. Good luck. [:)]

Are you looking for a new reciever too? I guess I need to reread what you already own.

You would probably notice the best bang for the buck going with the packaged yamaha deal. I am also a big fan of Denon (they have the easiest setup menus, which usually results in a better tuned system). My next choice would be Harmon Kardon, but I know a lot of guys on the forum love the Pioneer Elite recievers too.

In all honesty, the different recievers all sound just about the same so the best approach is to figure out what features you need and don't need, and then go about finding the reciever that best matches your needs. But if anything, yamahas tend to be on the bright side, denon's are more linear dry sounding, and harmon kardon is more on the darker warm side. I have no experience with the pioneer gear. I would avoid going with sony recievers though - they make great cd/dvd/vhs players, but their reciever are bright and grainy sounding (especially with klipsch). Have I covered all the brands at Best Buy? I feel like I'm forgetting a big one. And for the record, my descriptions are comparisons between the models - I would describe them all as being solid linear amplifiers. Just be sure you end up listening in one of the direct modes (ie, disable the tone/EQ controls).

Another tip for you...do not purchase any of the service plans that Best Buy tries to sell you. And do not purchase any of the wire they try to sell you either. It's all overpriced and you can get better product else where for cheaper. Even Radio Shack is cheaper and of much much higher quality - so if you're looking for an easy route, then get all your cable there. We're talking a few hundred dollars in savings here. So when you buy your speakers, buy just the speakers and the reciever and walk out with nothing else. Best Buy wouldn't offer the service plans if they didn't make money off them and you'll already be covered by the warranty from klipsch (I think). And try to avoid brands like "Monster Cable" - the sales person at Best Buy will think they're the epitomy of quality (which is not the case).

Just trying to help you out. And btw, be sure to come back with pics and opinions once you get it completed.

Wow, excellent info..thanks alot guys...

yes, I do have a yamaha HTR 5850 but I didn't know if this would be sufficient for a new Klipsch system. It currently runs my 62" Mitsu DLP with JBL cinema surround (bought in 1997)...

So I was thinking that I would keep this current setup and just start fresh with the front pj theater...

TKD...do you have a favorite place in DFW for receivers and such? I was thinking ultimate electronics but I heard they shut down...The only other two I'm familiar with is Fry's and Tweeter...

Again, thanks for your posts guys.

TKD...do you have a favorite place in DFW for receivers and such? I was thinking ultimate electronics but I heard they shut down...The only other two I'm familiar with is Fry's and Tweeter...

I like the guys at Tweeter. I analyzed the home Theater market for 3 years. Ultimate Electronics had some major potential, but they couldn't keep their inventory in stock (along with several other problems).

I like going to the Tweeter in Lewisville and I have a friend at the Dallas location. I will PM you their names and phone number. They are knowledgeable in Home Theater and it you catch them at the right time can get a good deal.

The Denon AVR- 3805 id discontinued a should be discounted. [;)] They could also tell you more of what kind of "upgrade " it would be to what you currently have---Watch out though--The may try to sell you some Martin Logans [:o] Because of business decisions they don't sell Klipsch unfortunately.

[:|]

Watch out though--The may try to sell you some Martin Logans [:o] Because of business decisions they don't sell Klipsch unfortunately.

But you can only purchase the synergy lineup at Best Buy anyway so that won't be an issue (unless of course he decides to go reference) [;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this reply took so long. Hope you are still looking. The new search is...shall we say BAD at best. I cannot see any way to search old posts from the earlier BBS system. I know this is not Klipsch's fault and love the fact that they let us play here for free. No slam intended to them...just frustrating when you think of all the great info locked away out there.

At any rate I was able to figure a way to find my original post about screens and aspect ratios (who is willing to pay $$$ for my secret). Read this over and check out my links to examples on my temp. screen I built. Yell back with any questions you have after checking it out.

Talk to David at Carada he will tell you the people in the know do NOT go with 16:9. I can't stress how happy I am with the 2:35 screen I ended up with. It really has a movie house feel not a conference room or old slide show presentation.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59705&forumID=69